It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Houston Astrodome Interview- FANTASTIC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:56 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

So true, dear Wanda, Elvis was a Lion fighting for the rights of others, for justice and equality for everyone..... Most of all he was able to see GOD expressed in all! Amen
To dream the impossble dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable courage
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the inreachable star

THIS IS MY QUEST
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question and cause
To be willing to march to hell
For a heavenly cause

And the world will be better for this

.... Thank you ELVIS

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for your post Serena! I just wish that more people would look at his life as an example of what anyone
can do, if they try and don't give up. I know it was different
when he was a young boy, the country was really in it's infant stages back then, but that didn't make it any easier for him to become who he became...he said it was a lot of hard work, sleepless days, tearful nights and worry but it was worth it just for the few moments on stage. I asked why it was so important or great...for him that he felt that way? He kind of laughed and said, "When I was little, I thought I was invisible, no body noticed me an' I couldn't talk without stutterin' with strangers, 'n so I just listened and looked, hidin' behind momma's skirts. People scared me, some of 'em were so loud but see, I had real good hearin' and so it seemed like yellin' and anger to me. I liked bein' in a quiet place, to listen 'n sometimes hear things...maybe jus' in my head, I dun no, but it was music an' voices singin' 'n I closed my eyes an' just let it run over me...like...eh...a shower or somethin'. It was like bein' hugged close, 'en held by lovin' arms, ya know?"
Of course, I did not know, but I did kind of know what he
was saying, he wanted to belong, to be cared for and he
wanted not to be alone so much...and no one seemed to
see him...or how lonely he felt. That is what many kids who are only children used to feel...maybe not so much now days as there are so many people everywhere and so
many things in schools for kids to do-together. Back then
even in my early childhood, it was tough being alone...no
one to "get your back" kind of thing. You either got tough
or you got "squashed"... there was no in between to speak of, so those of us "alone" became like invisible to avoid any
confrontation...that I understood having been one of them
myself. And that was the connection that he and I had...
we were both only "children" and we didn't learn how to
make friends easily or get along with others...and until
we did, we pretended we were "like everyone else" and in
reality, we were not. I was alone at home, had no friends, spent time in the boarding house where my dad and I lived
and there were no other kids there... I waited at the window
for my daddy to come home...every day. And until he did,
I was "invisible" as much as possible...for hours. I know Elvis had felt that way also and so, the link was formed. Life is so weird, thank heaven! It creates some special moments in our lives...God knew that, so he made differences...count!
wjh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:35 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

It's kind of amazing to consider that one who had been feeling so isolated and invisible, was to be so much crowded to the point as to get risky and the most known face in history...!

What an extraordinary life he had as Elvis Presley, how influential he has been in so many senses and how awesome LIFE is!!

I do wish we could have better understanding of the design of the tapistry of Life and a clearer view of the place each one ocupies in it... :)

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 pm 
Dragon

Wanda June Hill wrote:
He was intolerant of predjuice toward any one, black, white
pink, yellow or tan...he loved everyone for what they were, not the color of their skin or their eyes or their nationality.
And he made that very clear when he played at the Astrodome and filled it several times to capacity each time.
our boy was the best...inside and out...
wanda june

He may have been intolerant of prejudice toward anyone, but that didn't mean that he, himself, wasn't slightly prejudiced. Even though he had "The Sweets" as his backing singers (because he wanted that black soul sound along with the gospel quartets that he listened to - The Imperials & The Stamps - he was still a bit prejudiced of colored people although he never said anything in in public about it.

There's always two sides to every story. And most of the guys who were there nearly 24/7 paint a very different picture of the Elvis that we're discussing here.

(BTW, did ya'll know that Elvis's cousin, Billy Smith, suffered a heart attack this past Friday? According to his grand-daughter, Billy & Jo are both doing well and Billy even got to come home a day earlier than planned).

(BTW, Wanda? How can I contact you privately? I'm looking for some of the books that Larry Geller gave to Elvis to read and I'm wondering if you might have a larger list? I know he had, at the time of his death, about 250 books. Most of the others that were given to him by Larry had been burned in the 1960s after Larry was barred from the group (he wound up back in the group in the late 1970s somehow).

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2