It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: building self discipline - in his words.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Q: What's something you did to build discipline-other than Karate?
Elvis: I forced myself to conform to things that I might not want ot like - in order to learn concentration and patience. In order to control and build the will one must control the self - the willfulness of self, the desire of self, the irrational self - and to do that one must use strict measures at times. at the same time one has to learn who one is, what one is, and why one is that person. In my own case, I had too much praise, too much flattery and fawning over and I needed to remember me - who I was, where I came from. I especially needed a reminder so i chose to do it with something I needed daily and also
looked forward to having -my meals - food, if you will. I would find a meal that I especially enjoyed and force myself to eat it until it was distasteful, then I kept on eating it. At times for weeks - in order to teach myself discipline, steady control of one of our strong appetites - also a necessity to life. When I learned to overcome my own cravings, I'd change, but not until I felt I needed a reward for my control. Maybe that sounds silly or a bit crazy to you, but it worked for me.
Q: And you ate awful things or favorite things in that way?
Elvis: I loved pork chops, gravy and such - I still do, but only as a treat now. I ate them until they almost ran out my ears - but it taught me control. An' meatloaf, think I told you 'bout my Aunt's family. It was a kind of penance, but also a strong lesson in discipline, reminding me where I came from, so I don't get too big for my britches 'n make an ass of myself. I'm a strong will an' need a heavy hand to control- an' I have to do it-no one else will. As far as awful- it was by then; didn't eat none for a while!
Q: So do you do the same with other appetites...if that's the right word for them all?
Elvis: (soft snicker) Uh-huh, I do. Like once for more'n a year, but that was a time of of emotional healing, somethin' I sorely needed to come to grips with -and did
finally though sometimes have a hard time keepin' the lid on an' fallin' back in that pit of gloom 'an doom as Tom says.
Q: Okay, did you reward your self then?
Elvis: Ummmm guess you'll think somethin' else if I don't say ...it sort of was a surprise, an' most welcome one but I'm not gonna talk about it now. Ask me 'gain sometime.

Excerpts from taped conversations. Wanda June

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:25 pm 
BOY HE REALLY DID HAVE DICIPLINE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAME TO FOODS HE LIKED. I KNOW HE LIKE THAT SOUTHERN COOKING AND I DO TO. SO I KNOW HOW ROUGH IT CAN BE, WHEN YOU ARE TRING TO CONTROL YOUR CRAVINGS FOR IT. FOR THE LOVE OF ELVIS! BARB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:10 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda, from which year is this conversation between you and Elvis?
Thanks, Christine

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject: The year 1976-77
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:27 am 
Site Admin

It came out when I was doiing the question thing for the interview and he'd get off onto other subjects this being one of them. There were things that were being spread about about that up coming book and how he was so fixated on things, like eating the same thing for days and no one wanting to be around or smell whatever it was. and how he did things over and over until he was crazy etc:...but he didn't bother to explain to them, he just did whatever it was and his reasons made perfect sense if he did tell you what they were. His guys always seemed to take it as if he was not quite all together mentally at times. Elvis wasn't like them...or anyone else I'd say, he was pretty different and sometimes I thought maybe it was just that he didn't mature...that he was kind of like a child in an adult body doing the best he could to handle things and if he hadn't been who he became, he might have led a ver simple lilfe, possibley as a gospel singer or preacher or both...he was quite child like in the way he saw things, though he did get wiser and more able to see movitves behind words as he put it. He was less trusting yet still prefered to trust and believe. It really bothered him when he thought he liked someone and then the turned out to be not what they appeared and to have ulterior motives. He always was hurt, like a little kid who was made a promise and then the promise was broken and he was let down. His face was like amirror most of the time, every thing he felt was there, in his eyes, on his face and just open to what ever but then when he was with some people he was very closed up, cold and careful what he said-I could easily tell if he liked whom ever he was talking to or not...his eyes changed and that innocent little boy look disappeared. wjh

Post subject: Him or Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Right Sue, he had to learn that the hard way early on, and I guess his feelings were hurt quite a bit back in those early days when people didn't understand him or what he was trying to say or do. I think thats why he felt his mother was the only one who understood-he spent more time with her than anyone else growing up/
and she did understand him...and he her. He truly had a young childs spirit and inner self-and when he got hurt enough, he closed that up and didn't show his feelings, he played a role and said what he thought people wanted to hear from him. He said when he saw himself performing on stage in Vegas, the shows that were taped, and he saw them right afterward, "it didn't feel like that was me up there, it was somebody else, an' I don't know him." That gave me chills because of the way he said it, the tone of voice, the bewilderment behind those words as he was so serious, sincere and questioning that he didn't recognize himself doing that.
But he got over it I guess, he must have accepted it and he did change some of his actions and moves a little but not so much it showed alot. It just looked as though he was "getting used to doing things up there" and was more spontaneous and controled. I don't know why he thought he had to exercise everyday because he sure did enough of that on stage-Karate and all! But he did, he worked out at least an hour a day and usually longer
plus he played sports when he could and rode a statinery bike and did all kinds of situps, pushups and stretches as well. I sure like that picture above your posts! In his top coat "duster" and looking good. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:14 pm 
THANKS WANDA I'M GLAD YOU LIKE IT, WHEN I SEEN THIS PICTURE I GOT FOR MY AVATAR. IT LOOKED LIKE TO ME ELVIS STANDING ON A CLOUD, AND WATCHING US HERE BELOW ON EARTH. OR EVEN IN THIS GROUP! I CAN SEE WHERE ELVIS WOULD BE ON GUARD ABOUT BEING HIMSELF, AROUND CETTAIN PEOPLE AND CERTAIN PLACES. BECAUSE BEING FROM THE SOUTH, AND I KNOW BY HOW I TALK THAT SOMETIMES OUR WORDS COME OUT TOTALLY DIFFERENT, AND HE WAS PROBALY VERY SHY ABOUT THIS. I KNOW HE HAD TO REMEMBER WHEN HE FIRST WENT TO HOLLYWOOD AND THE NAMES HE WAS CALLED, BECAUSE OF THE WAY HE TALKED. :x WHICH TO ME IS JUST AWEFUL, I WOULD PROBALY COME ACROSS THE SAME WAY. SO THATS WHY HE WOULD TURN ON THE ELVIS EVERYONE EXPECTED HIM TO BE, AND TALK AND ACT. BARB!

Post subject: Southern Accent
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:32 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I love the Southern accent as well. (I'm from the North, not too far from the Canadian border). The Southern accent sounds somewhat lyrical to me; kind of a musical flow to it. Hard to explain. But I love to hear Elvis speak in his native accent, even though I know he felt pressured to do otherwise in public. I imagine when he was at Graceland that he must have relaxed and spoke naturally.

Post subject: accents
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

When Elvis started out performing and then went to Hollywood for the screen test, he was thought to be very backward, ignorant and all because he was very shy, he spoke with that little stutter when nervous and if really nervous it got worse...he said he had to stop and count to 3 between words that he'd stumble over so he got interrupted alot...by those people who talked so fast he had trouble hearing them and he said, "an' I got good ears too" like he couldn't believe anyone could talk that fast. And he did have that negro accent-he grew up with them, played with them, and lived with them all around during his formative years-so naturally he spoke their language and had their style...in mannerisums and movements. it was natural to him, nothing affected at all. But he was put down for being natural, for having such a thick accent and he had to fix it for the movies.
Plus he couldn't be understood when interviewd at first so he had already got some help with that, he wanted to talk properly so people wouldn't think he was stupid or dumb. He said sometimes he wouldn't have a dry thread on him before he ever got on stage because he was having to talk to strangers...reporters etc: and that the Col. had given him strict instructions on what to say and when, but sometimes they asked questions that he didn't have on the "list" and when he was truthful, it got turned around into something dirty or worse. (I always wanted to ask him what "worse" was, but never did)
Elvis could laspe back into the southern talk easily and did when with his friends. When I first heard myself on tape I was horrified and immediately began to "fix" my own drawl and southern talking because no one we were meeting in Ca. had that kind of accent. So I got rid of mine pretty fast and Elvis noticed right away-he wasn't so sure he liked it but then he understood that you do what is right for where you live to get along. He still liked to hear the old speech sometimes and we'd do that just to be funny. He was very black sounding when he wanted to be...he sure did know the lingo...some of it right off the streets of LA too! Half the things he came up with I didn't have a clue what they meant until he told me and then we'd laugh. But he played ball with some black guys at the park sometimes and he went into their areas and played basket ball a few times-he did that in Memphis also. He liked being around them because he grew up with them around him. They were his playmates and friends from the time he was small. I asked him if he had ever dated a black girl and he never did tell me yes or no... when I read Myrna's bit on Elvis2001 interview, it was so touching how she told that when he danced with her he was trembling and she didn't think he had ever danced with a black girl before.
She wanted to grab him and hug him. He always liked her and said nice things and that he thought she was very intelligent, and a nice young lady. He also thought she was beautiful... I can easily see him not wanting her to think he was dumb or something and being nervous dancing with her and probably trying to think of something to say that would be "intelligent" too. He sure wouldn't want to do something stupid in front of her. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:47 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

as I can hear in some of his interviews, specially the ones including foreing press,he speaks so clearly and also when he sings,his words sounds so whole and perfect to me..I think he had that ability of changing accents,in time.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Sometimes his native accent would peak through in the songs. In the TTWII dvd once or twice he sings "which you" instead of "with you", so here you see his southern/black influenced accent showing thru a little.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next