It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: special meaning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:32 pm 
Pharaoah

Which song has a special meaning for you, and why?

As for me, I like Let's be friends. Because he's offering the listener's friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

I have TWO...Bridge Over Troubled Water because is so the way he lived his life, and How Great Thou Art because of the deep passion for God he expressed when he sang it. Image

Post subject: re: special meaning
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:40 am 
There are a lot of his songs that have special meaning to me--and I get "lost" in his voice a lot...I can say that "If I Can Dream" stands out among the songs that has special meaning.

The way he performs that song is very powerful--like he's reaching out to us to get us to really listen--deeply.

I have this song to listen to now whenever I want--bought "Elvis Inspirational" yesterday. I highly recommend it.

Victoria

Post subject: MY FAVORITES
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:31 am 
I Love the Song Just Prenend I Cry everytime I hear it, I can feel and see Elvis singing this song to just me. How Great Thou ARE! is my Favorite Gospel Song, I can just picture Elvis Before the Throne of God Singing this. Another Gospel favorite of mine that Elvis sings is WE CALL ON HIM! I can feel the Angush in his voice, as he is asking the Lord to be with him and give him Strenght. Barb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:30 pm 
Pharaoah

Yes, just pretend is one of my favourites as well !

Post subject: songs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

I like all the songs you all do! It's hard to choose-but I really like the tender way he sings I Met Her Today-and then I like Honkey Tonk Angel if that's the title, he says that in the song. And of course, no one can sing gospel like him...Joshua Fit the Battle is special. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah! I Met Her Today (the originally released version) is one of my very favorites as well. His tenderness on some of the lines (and phrasing) is almost supernatural in HEART.

Joshua Fit the Battle is a masterpiece of black gospel phrasing...Elvis is blacker than black with this one!

Post subject: 18 year old Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I just heard a song I had never heard Elvis sing before-he was just 18 years old and it was scratchy and one of those "down in the cellar echoin' ones"he made way back when-he wasn't signed with Sun yet and he was trying out songs for Sam Phillips the dj said. Elvis was playing guitar and no one else was playing. It was a song they never did record because Elvis couldn't quite get it the way Sam wanted it, I guess. Whatever, it was so sweet and he was so young-so very young you could tell he was a child! But ever so often that voice would peek out and then there was the future sound that he would work on until he had it going good. My friend has Serius radio in her car-she listens to county usually but she put Elvis on for her daughter who is 17 and a big Elvis music fan. She picked me up for lunch-we do that about once every 3 months-after she had dropped her off somewhere else. And I got to hear that! It was so great-my friend only knows that I like Elvis-I've never told her I knew him or anything about that...she will be very surprised-just hope she isn't angry at me or some such thing. Oh well, anyway, I can't get over hearing him at such a young age-he really was trying and hoping just as he said-I believed him but to actually hear him at 18- I had heard him when he was 19 -20 doing One night with you and changing the lyrics to say, "when you broke my leg" because a girl was hanging on to his leg while he was on stage-that was on a film clip. His voice was pure, sweet and so young! It was a love song but I didn't catch the title-he didn't ever record it on record the dj said. Then he played the laughing version of Are You Lonesome Tonight-it was almost like planned just for me because it made me feel good to hear him-and my friend hadn't heard it and she laughed too. She thought he was so cute-that laugh-. So maybe I won't lose her friendship over keeping secrets...especially that one....hope not. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:54 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

friendships mustn't end so easily,and in your case, I don't think so Wanda ..you're a very nice person to be a friend of.. :D

Post subject: friendships & Elvis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks kids, for the hope and inspiration. In the past we learned the hard way about people/friends and Elvis. We were naive then, people were trying to go through us to get to him and we had to learn a quick lesson about that so have been cautious for some many years. I have lost friends-because of him and for no reason that I can think of other than I followed his rules and regulations and that was-keep quiet about my personal life-he didn't mind me "giving him" for gifts-IF I asked, told him who and if he wanted to do it. Sometimes he didn't...and I never asked or tried to change his mind-couldn't have anyway, probably. I always asked first, and set up a possible time for it-at his convience. A few times he thanked me because he "found a friend" and a few times he joked about it and was kind of embarrasing for me when even my aunt hit on him! She was a wild lady anyway, and I didn't know her that well and she had been in the same retirement home as my grandmother-her mom. I told Elvis she was there too and he called her-not that I asked him to-he just did out of the goodness of his heart-after all he had met my grandmother and liked her-she was a tough bird and easy to like. But my Aunt! I was shocked-though I shouldn't have been-she was just like right out there all her life. Elvis was laughing, he didn't quite know what to say about it, but he said she was "damn open about tellin' me what she'd do if she could get her hands on me-Gawd...I didn't know what to say-bein' she was your aunt and all.." I really was suprised and then I said, well, you did that one on your own! And he said "won't again, bet on that!" And he didn't ever call her again.
He did send her an autographed picture of himself in a bathing suit-via Blue Hawaii era. Anyway, back to my friend, I'm hoping she will be okay with it-we are "horse buddies" and she will, I hope understand why I didn't bring him up. I know she likes his music and she knows I do too-and she knows I saw him in Vegas but that's it.
We have a close open relationship otherwise, so maybe. I'm going to give her a book and tell her and she can read about it...that might work better. We'll see. won't be the first time if she doesn't. I'm used to that though it still bother s me. After Elvis died, people we used to think were friends just stopped calling...some of those who didn't are still friends and wrote for out book. Others were different-we went separate ways and our phone that used to ring constantly stopped ringing. ...that was the hard part to get used to-but we moved and started a different life and it's been great since. We've just found it's better to keep quiet in most cases....but now, here we go again-I hope things will be different. All we can do is try. Thanks again, it's good to know that most people do understand and they are all ready to love and appreciate Elvis more today than they were for several years after his death. The time is right.
wjh

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next