It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:40 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I have so many favorites, it's hard to keep a short list. Buy my favorites are It Hurts Me, You'll Think of Me, I'll Hold You in My Heart, Reconsider Baby (can Elvis sing the blues!!) and the TTWII live version of Just Pretend.

But most often I play his gospel, with some of my favorites being If I Can Dream, You'll Never Walk Alone, Who Am I, American Trilogy & Stand By Me. Stand By Me was particularly meaningful to me recently, as I was going through a time of dispair. I played that song over & over again, as every time I listened to it I was reminded that God is with me through the dark times.

With regard to the laughing version of Are You Lonesome Tonight, I heard an interview of Kathy Westmoreland where she talks about a man's toupee falling off in the middle of that song, which is why he is cracking up & add libbing. Then she went on to talk about in the early days of Vegas a gong was played at the end of You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling. Each night the gong got bigger, with this little Asian guy hitting the gong. Well on the last night, the gong was huge. They had not rehearsed the gong, and when little this guy hit it, the vibrations were so strong, it threw him into the orchestra pit. She said Elvis had a hard time maintaining his composure after that. Very funny story. The whole interview is very touching. I had tears at the end. If interested, it is on a DVD called Behind the Image Vol. 1 and you can get it at www.behind-the-image.com.

Post subject: gong
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Laurie that was funny-I just bet Elvis had a really hard time after that! I can just see that happening too-the things they did to each other - and lots of them we in the audience weren't in on but the stage people were. He did some crazy things -he said that he "oiled" J.D.'s stool with something like the stuff they use on car dashs that is slippery when dry-so J.D. was having a bad time not slipping off unless he was very careful sitting down. And I don't know if it was Charlie's shoes or whose, but Elvis glued them to the floor - and of course there were the firecrackers tossed into various places-
like the bathrooms and dressing rooms. One time he said it was a cherry bomb that "flew around" and went on and on-bouncing off things etc: while the recipient cowered behind their coat trying to avoid it. Elvis was laughing his head off over that one. He especially liked playing jokes on any "new fish" that joined the group. Like "Bill" - who was new when he was taken on the "great escape" to our room. That poor guy's face was so deep red-and his eyes just about resembled those cartoon charactor's eyes extending out on coiled wires! It was funny, and Elvis was so tickled that he could pull that one on him...he purposely brought him along just to do that-I'd bet on it. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:26 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda, what do you mean by the "great escape"?

Last edited by Blue Moon on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "great escape"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:38 am 
Site Admin

It's posted on my site- go to Wanda June Hill at the "jump to" button at the bottom of this posting. It will take you to it. Lots of stuff there to read. If there 's a problem with jumping-to the site map on the ELC listing of everything on ELC-there is quite a lot! Maia has done such a wonderful job. The great escape is from his early days in Vegas-he used to once in a while, "escape" from his guys and go visiting other rooms, guests at the hotel, surprising people knocking on their doors and asking to come in. And down to the ladies powder rooms where he "visited" surprised ladies. And he did that until they "locked" his escape door so he had to go out through the main entrance and they'd see him. It was to protect him and to keep tabs on him as well. He had fun the first two years or so that he was there-wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the link to the "Great Escape":

http://www.elvislightedcandle.org/WJH/wre_snippets-02.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yes I just got the "Behind the Image, Vol I." The interviews on it are great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:49 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

THANKS SUE FOR PUTTING THIS BACK UP! ITS SO HARD TO CHOICE A FAVORITE SONG THEY ARE ALL GREAT AND WONDERFUL, BUT "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"! HE IS MY BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER CAUSE WHENEVER I NEED HIM HE ALWAYS HERE FOR ME AND HELPS ME SO MUCH! THANK YOU ELVIS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND ARE STILL DOING FOR ME NOW THANK YOU!! I LOVE AND MISS YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

FRAN

Post subject: Special Songs or Lyrics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:41 am 
Sun Dial

Have to agree with several of you on Just Pretend. Many other songs are special, and many I take personal meaning in like Known Only to Him. There's a line in Mr. Songman that I relate to because both times I saw Elvis in concert was summer (or close). He sings, "Won't you sing me away to a summer night? Let me hold her in my arms again. I know a memory's not reliving, but at least it's not the end." Takes me back to the moment I really fell for him. And I know a memory's not reliving, but at least it's not the end. Rather poignant to me.

Sometimes I still feel a little nuts, obsessed, whatever. I guess it's just that he was indescribably special and brought me much happiness, and I just don't want to let go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:26 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Many of us here seem to be those "little nuts" and for me it`s just GREAT to be one of them!!! :D :wink: :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject: Special Songs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 pm 
Sun Dial

Thanks! At least I know I'm not alone! :wink:

Two other songs I forgot to mention. They are on one of the disks in the 70s box set. One is called It's Still Here. First verse is:

The day you said we'd never part, you turned around and broke my heart.
You had the nerve to tell me I would soon forget.
Now you've been gone away one year, and I have not forgotten, dear.
The love I had for you so long is still here.

The other is I Will Be True. Goes like this:

I will be true no matter what they may say.
I will be true although you're far, far away.
Each night I pray, all day I say a silent prayer,
That when I open the door I'll find you there.

Somehow I feel that someday we'll meet again.
Don't ask me how. It's something I can't explain.
Until the day I give up all hope of you,
Assure yourself this I'll do -- I will be true.

Those two are special to me.

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next