It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How "If I Can Dream" was born
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:41 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

This I have found in "Elvis-Australia" website:

While Elvis was making this movie (Live A Little, Love A Little), Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4, 1968. Elvis took the news very hard. He was known to commit famous speeches to memory and would often quote from or recite them thereafter. Martin Luther King's 'I Have A Dream' speech was one of Elvis's favorites to recite. Just two months later in June, while working on his 1968 TV special, Elvis expressed his deep feelings about the loss of the Kennedy brothers and Dr. King to producer Steve Binder. Binder who was so moved by Elvis' comments said, 'I wanted to let the world know that here was a guy who was not prejudiced, who was raised in the heart of prejudice, but who was really above all that'. It was then that Binder resolved to have a song written expressly for Elvis to close his show with. 'If I Can Dream' was born of this conversation. 'If I can dream--of a better land, Where all my brothers work hand in hand, Tell me why, oh why, can't my dream come true, Oh why?'.

http://www.elvispresley.com.au/elvis/pr ... ttle.shtml

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks for sharing, Amanda Viola, that's very interesting and moving! :)

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject: Song
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 pm 

I always loved that song but had no idea the history of it. Thanks for sharing.

Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

"If I Can Dream" is one of my favorite songs. Elvis sings it with such moving passion, straight from the heart. Thank you Amanda for the background on how that song came to be. The song was such a perfect fit for Elvis. I can see that Steve Binder had Elvis' best interests at heart. I do wish there had been other opportunities for the two of them to work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:00 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Yes, one would not get tired of watching Elvis singing that song, that fitted and expressed him so well...

Post subject: Thank you, Amanda
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:17 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I appreciate your sharing the background about why "If I can Dream" was chosen to be recorded by Elvis. I recall reading that Parker did not want Elvis to sing or to record the song but I am forever grateful that Elvis made the decision to sing the song. In its simplicity there is a great depth that one might miss hearing it for the first time.
I shared with the forum about it being my brother, Larry's, favorite song. Larry, like Elvis, was always trying so hard to help others that in the process Larry did not take care of his own health. He died on August the 18th in 1987 at age 47 of a sudden heart attack. "If I can Dream" was played during the service for Larry.
The song is a piece that connotes hope but also sadness that the world was unable to see that it needed to come together.
Thank you again for sharing this with us, Amanda.

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:58 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

It's my pleasure, Marjorie.

I recall when you told us about your brother Larry and how it moved me at the time. I'm glad you honor him bringing him to the Forum. The appraisal of kindness and brotherhood is never too much. :)

Post subject: A tribute
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you, Amanda. Larry, like Elvis, was taken too soon but they loved so many while here.
In thinking about the Elvis Week coming down in Memphis I have a sadness in my heart.
It has, in recent years, seemed to be more about how much Elvis can be sold rather than honoring this special, special man.
I know that when we were at Graceland in 2004, during January, we felt Elvis everywhere. I vowed then that I could never go during the "tribute" to his death.
I pray it is not a carnival atmosphere and instead that it is a time filled with peaceful dignity as Elvis' memory deserves.
I watched him make that bridge while singing "Unchained Melody" during his last time on tour today. I cried but with happier tears because he had tried to get to the bridge on his own when singing "Unchained Melody."
His voice was strong and the smile and the 'Zing' was there. When he made it the expression on his face seemed to say "I tried hard and I made it and I did it my way with a little help from a friend.
I am glad that I have been allowed to be on earth during the time that the One above sent Elvis here and then took him home to rest.
There has never been another entertainer that I have had such feelings for and I know that I will know the reason for that when I, too, am called back home.

Last edited by 73smile on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A tribute
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

My thanks to you also Amanda Viola for sharing the story of how such a beautiful song was born. :D Elvis really brought that song to life with the way he sung it with such intense feeling, power and love. :D You can tell by the way he sang this song that the message in it was his heart's true desire. :D

73smile wrote:
In thinking about the Elvis Week coming down in Memphis I have a sadness in my heart.
It has, in recent years, seemed to be more about how much Elvis can be sold rather than honoring this special, special man.
I pray it is not a carnival atmosphere and instead that it is a time filled with peaceful dignity as Elvis' memory deserves.

This is my prayer too Marjorie. :( I truly hope that rather than concentrating on cashing in on monetary riches from Elvis, that people can truly honor him by concentrating on the riches and blessings of the heart and spirit that Elvis provided so freely by showing unconditional brotherhood to all. :)

Post subject: We can only pray
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I will not be there in August and will never be there in August. I have memories stored in my heart of Elvis that will remain there for as long as I am still here. Elvis was and Elvis is and he always will be. There is no need for contests or the hawking of trashy Elvis items because if one is in Memphis and goes to the garden--- he or she can honor all that Elvis gave to the world as a son, a husband/father, a friend, an employer and as an entertainer. Quietly and with respect is how we few gathered at his grave that cold January morning in 2004 and we felt sorrow and happiness in our souls because he had been so much to so many and after his work was done the ONE above let him go back on Home.
A balance was there for us between the grief and the happiness as we stood in silence there.
Elvis was destined, I believe, to be special, and encompassed within that destiny, he gave great riches of love/song and smiles to the world. So much of Elvis has been ignored but his love so freely given to us made the years that he was here a better time and place and it made many of us better people in small and in larger ways. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next