It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: It's more important
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

"It's more important to believe in God than going to church." What do you think Elvis meant by this quote??

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

I think that he meant that many organizations that called themselves a "church" might not truly believe in what they "preach". Some are not following God's word he said, some are giving out just what brings them worldly goods, money, recognition and a kind of glory but they do it with intent to gain for themselves and not to "feed their sheep" as God tells us to do. " Even as ye have done unto them ye have done unto me". He quoted that several times in those many years-he believed that what you did to and for other people, you gained for yourself and when those who used and abused others for their own personal gain, were judged they would be found wanting and lose out on the best of rewards they could have gained. He did not really believe in a hell that literally burned-he said that was not the correct translation and spent about a days worth of hours over several days explaining all the translations he could find-mainly he boiled it down to hell being the regrets and knowledge of the wrong we do in life coming back at us, letting us feel and see what we did and having to carry that load of regret and shame until the world had resolved it's self and God brought everyone back to live in peace, harmony and good health. I asked if he thought there would be those cast out forever-and he said yes, but only those who were unrepentant and who refused to accept their crimes-and there were many of them he said, in todays world-that some 30 odd years ago. Worse today I'd say. Anyway, he meant that one should above all else believe there is a god, praise him and thank him from which all good things come. He said Jesus was our example, even God turned his face from him because he took on the sins of the world and was so defiled on the cross and Jesus asked, Why hast thou forsaken me? And then he died.
But he wasn't forsaken, he was saved and brought back to show us all that there is salvation and there will be life after death. We must all trust, be as little children and take our father's word as truth, he said. And he said that he had "a hard time sometimes doing that, but when I give in, when I say thy will be done, then peace fills my heart and I can go on to what I must." I wish I had everything he ever said written down or on tape but I don't and it makes me upset when I think that so much is lost. Maybe others who knew him can fill in what I don't know-I sure hope so. Elvis was a special being, he was not perfect, nor did he try to be l00%, but he sure had a child's faith when it came to looking at God and His ways. I learned so much from him, and I had been in church at least 3 times a week from 8 years old until I turned 19! It took "a rock 'n roll woman chasing, dancing fool according to my dad (and many others) to show me the way. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:12 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda June Hill wrote:
I learned so much from him, and I had been in church at least 3 times a week from 8 years old until I turned 19! It took "a rock 'n roll woman chasing, dancing fool according to my dad (and many others) to show me the way. wjh

Enjoyed reading your reply, Wanda, and got a kick out of the above quote. Truth is often stranger than fiction. 8)

Marjorie, glad to see you posting again with us. I hope you are fully recovered from your pneumonia.
What I get from Elvis' quote is that what really matters most is one's own personal connection to God. Folks can go to church all their life, go through the motions etc. and yet might never know God personally. They may think they are spiritual simply because they attend church. It doesn't necessarily mean that going to church is bad; it's just that it is not a substitute for one's own spiritual connection to the Creator. Jesus talked about being the temple & that the Spirit of God dwells within each one of us.
Jesus says here, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; "nor will they say 'See here!' or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." -- Luke 17: 20b - 21 NKJV

Last edited by Blue Moon on Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Yes Blue Moon, that is another thing that he said to me, "the Kingdom of God is within you, don't you forget it and live accordingly." He added at times, "Don't do what I do, don't look at me and think he knows the way, because I ain't perfect. I do things I know is -is eh, not what God would have me do, but He understands, He made me an' I know because He is my Father who loves me, He will understand. The things I do, I try to do with love, kindness and to help other people; God sees everything so I don't hide the fact I am not perfect."
I just put that in Face to Face a couple days ago-it was a very short blurb and now it fits again! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Marjorie, Wanda and Laurie, you will never know how much this particular thread and all of your words mean to me right now. :D I have been struggling with this very thing for the last few months- believing in God being more important than going to Church. Due to my health problems that I've been having, my husband's ridiculously crazy work schedule and things that come up with my daughter we haven't been able to get to Church in quite a while. :( Because of this, I know that we have other members of our Church that think that we are not good people that truly uphold the beliefs of our Church. :( NOTHING could be further from the truth and I have been asking myself this one question over and over again that I will now ask all of you my friends--just because we might not be able to make it into a certain building every Sunday, or if we CAN make it there but we can't stay for all 3 hours of our services, does that mean that we're not good people??? :( Sadly, believe it or not, we've had members of our own Church say that it does. :cry: You know, I actually said a prayer to God and also asked El'vis to direct me towards the threads that my heart really needed to "see" and next thing I know here I am reading this one. :D My thanks again to all of you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:15 pm 
Pharaoah

I have a question for anyone that can clarify this for me.

Wanda quoted Elvis as follows :

"He said Jesus was our example, even God turned his face from him because he took on the sins of the world and was so defiled on the cross and Jesus asked, Why hast thou forsaken me? And then he died. "

I wonder how God could turn his face from Jesus? Aren't God and Jesus the same person?
No one can turn his face from himself?

I don't understand what Elvis meant. I have always heard that God is Jesus. They are different personalities, but only one person.

Regine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, it might be or seem to be complicated to explain however when God the Father sent his son Jesus down to take on the earthly sins of all the peoples he had made and put upon the earth, and given them freewill to choose-they chose to live their way more than to abide by the rules God laid down for them. Like any loving parent who wants their child to progress and do well, and who trusts them to do the right thing, God was disheartened by so many people choosing to turn from His guidance to their own ways. He gave them one last chance, he sent his son to bear all their sins, to take upon himself in the flesh and body of a human being, all the things mankind might do to one another through their wilful ways of sin. To do this God separated from his Son, he allowed him to take on a human form, to be born of a human female and live as one of the people.
Jesus must have known from day one that he was chosen to do these things, he could have not done them-he too had free will but he followed his Father's wishes and lived accordingly, though he prayed in the garden for it to be taken from him, he said thy will be done...and he followed through with the beatings and the c ross. Now
that is the difference in God and Jesus-God is the master planner and Jesus is his son who took on the sins of all of us, gave his life as the sacraficial lamb of the times and shed his blood to wash away our sins. There is but One God, the Father and there is Jesus the Son...and we shall meet him and he will take us to his Father. That is my belief. It's confusing to those who might not have had the teachings that for instance the Pentecostal people teach-which is Bible teachings. There are other forms of this teachings but they all say just about the same things-when it all comes together, it boils down to just one. " Love one another, even as I have loved you."
"And put no God before me, God the Father." It's quite funny (not laughable funny) how most every religion I have read about, checked into and studied some all has the same basic doctrine-just worded in the manner to which that paticulair background/tribe/race/church/ has been taught over the years. Still all tell the same sort of story and all lay claim to a hereafter that will be a wonderful place. Elvis liked to quote that "No greater love hath any man than one who lay down his life for his friends". That's why he loved the song Bridge Over Troubled Water so much, because he thought of himself as being a way for one to get past their troubles etc: by letting him "lay down himself" as the bridge and thus feel better for having Elvis' music to cheer him up.
I'm sure there are other people on here who can put what you asked in better words than I-but this is my simplistic version and I hope it will help you think about things. It's good you wonder, that's what life is about,
wondering and discovery. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Beautifully explained Wanda! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

You know, when Jesus prayed, even the eve of the day he would be betrayed and taken to the cross, he went into the garden which was little more than a quite place somewhere in that desert like region, and that is where he prayed, alone with his Father. He didn't go to a "church" or tabernacle-he went into his Father's natural garden site and there prayed alone. It is a fine example of the fact that we can and should pray any place we feel the need or desire. Elvis chose to have his meditation garden at his beloved Graceland-he would also go sit outside in the back yard of his Bel Air home before he got married and sit alone, in the darkness where he could look into heaven and pray. He prefered to be outside in God's handiwork he said, and though he had enjoyed church as a younger man, he didn't feel he could after things "changed" is how he put it. He had gone late at night to a Catholic church a few times he said and he had been to a Jewish church as well. He went to the Catholic one because it was open late at night and he could usually be alone there and he would light candles. He said he had an alter at home-it must have been something small that he could take with him as he said that he had done so. But he said, you can pray anywhere, God'll hear ya when you need Him. And he practiced that thought daily...even to praying with his group and asking for help just before walking on stage.
In some of the videos you can see him do this, in the last ones his hands show and he has them in a meditation position-he needed help then, to get through the performances and he was not to high and mighty to ask for it. I admired that about him, his faith was that of a child trusting his father. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you Wanda Beautifully put that does help me alot! :D
Elvis was such a beautiful spiritual kind loving man! :D
Mari I am sorry to hear about your health problems and all I hope you get better very soon!

Talia

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next