It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

My father died suddenly of a heart attack at home just after my 10th birthday. I remember trying to help my mother bring him to, and then she sent me running to the neighbors for help. It is ingrained in my mind forever, as I am sure the event is in Lisa's mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:34 pm 
Owl

I don't think lisa would make a book because she is always really private about her dad just said few things but she always said can we change ? like she did on diane sawyer because i think her memories are really personal and she sometimes said something and i think she remember very well the day of his death cause she said she does but not talked about it one time on larry king live said she saw all the people crying there but she never talked much about that and i understand her 100% just to difficult for her.
But she participate on elvis by the presley book and on the dvd was really sad when she said the last time she saw him with life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:44 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
I was not allowed to talk to, correspond with or see my mother and of course, the story I heard was not true as I found out after I was in my 40's.

Wanda, can you please tell us more about why you were forbidden to have contact with your mother, or is it too personal & private a matter?

Post subject: mother
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

I can talk about it now, no problem as I'm over it. My mother was just 19 when I was born, she and my dad where living in Chetopa Kansas and he joined the Navy SeaBees during the war and was gone overseas for some time. I was tiny when he left-he didn't see me again until I was near 4 years old and then my mother had son by another man. My dad and her had not been together or even did he write her much during that 4 years or so. Anyway he had his mother pick me up to bring me to visit him -he knew that since his mom and my mother had a bond between them that she would let her bring me on the train to visit. Anyway, my dad took me to Oklahoma where he now lived and in affect stole me from her as he never let me go back. He told me she didn't want me, had another baby on the way and that she told him she didn't want me...her new boyfriend just wanted his own kids. So I lived with him and then he and his new wife. She was very jealous of his frist wife and me too. She told me horribe things about my mother, I wasn't 7 yet and believed because she had not come to get me, visit, call or write to me-she had but they didn't tell me that. Anyway, that's why-I grew up being fed a bunch of untrue things and until Elvis found my real mother and talked with her, then told me I should call her in words that was hard to say no to...then said if I couldn't speak to her, I should drop her a note and let her write to me. He said, she had some information that you NEED to know. Call her for me, please. I was appaled he interfered...but that was like him. He found out the truth, liked my mother and told her he would have me call her-or write maybe-but that I would want to see her. It was about a year but I did write, did call and she and her newest husband came to visit us in Garden Grove after Elvis' died. It was so odd, but I guess he did that knowing it would help us both and it did. She was a very nice lady whom I looked a lot like, and she loved Elvis dearly. It was just ayear later her new hubby had throat cancer and died, She said his last note to her (he could no longer talk) said, "Don't worry, Elvis is coming to meet me, he's on the way." He died about 25 minutes later, smiling happily she said looking at the entrance into his room at the hospital. She said the nurses rushed in and stopped in their tracks, they said the air was filled with cherry tobacco smoke! No smoking allowed in the ICU even then. Was it Elvis? Who knows, could have been someone walking down the hallway where they could smoke then. My step mother was so jealous of other women, step daughter and even her own daughter that it bordered on madness.
I left home because of her cruetly and assult and battery she did for no good reason when in one of her moods.
My dad had to sneak around and call me from a pay phone once in a while to speak to me--he had a son and a daughter with her and so couldn't just leave her at his age. Anyway, after she had a stroke, her whole personality sweetened and she turned into a wonderful woman. But I didn't want to see her-or be too friendly as she scared me too much when I was just a small girl. She did teach me cooking, housecleaning and everything a girl should know to make it out there but i lived in fear of what her mood would be when I got off the school bus every day of the week. I loved school-I got to get away from her. I have no ill feelings toward her, she paid a sad price the last two years of her life she was little more than a vegetable, kept alive by feeding tubes etc:. More than paid. I 'm just grateful that she was a good teacher for me-I could do everything, take care of myself, a husband, whatever and learned to be impicable at whatever- But I'm not so much now-my house is lived in and is not a "showplace" look but not touch...as was her's. I like my house-she would hate it! Good enough for me. Elvis had no idea the circumstances of my life-I never told him anything and even if he asked I gave him the least info. possible-that was just the way I was, very inward and surface personality at that time.
But he seemed to know I needed to talk to her, needed to learn the background. He didn't think my real mother was alive-and was shocked to find out. My dad told him offhandedly one day and that started the search. My step mom who had hated Elvis because of her religion, fell for him big time-she even baked him pecan pies because he slyly got her to do it. He was good at that-getting things he wanted from someone...and they usually loved doing it for him. wjh

Post subject: Wanda's mother
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

It's too bad your mother wasn't able to go to the police and get some help in being able to visit you as you were growing up. Seems like there ought to have been a way for her to get some assistance, but I don't know. . .

It's so touching to know that Elvis cared enough to help you find out the truth, even though he didn't know the circumstances of your childhood. It's like he would have a knowing & sensing about things.

Post subject: Mother
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Back then in those little towns in Kansas/Missouri and other states as well where there were people of farming communities, and not so many people either, there was poverty and those who had not weren't helped as much as today. The sheriff wasn't interested in doing anything, he liked to drink too much. My mom was poor, she had a new baby and she had a man who wasn't worth much at the time-but he was very good looking and I liked him, I remember him-his name was Earl and he used to always bring something home for me, candy, a rag doll, something.
And he laughed often and my mother was crazy about him. But as for details or any kind of real memories I don't have more than 3 that are distinct in any way. So kids forget when there is trauma and disruption I guess.
In my case, I sure did. I just hope it doesn't all come crashing back as I get older, don't think I want to recall.
Anyway, she didn't know where I was taken, and when My dad filed papers for the divorce and custody of me she didn't get the notice for some time, on the day of she said, she finally found someone who could drive her to Tulsa and they broke down on the road and couldn't get there. So I was according to the court, abandonded by my natural mother and full custody went to my dad. I saw my mom one time shortly after that, I only recall her wearing a rasberry wine colored dress and having long red hair and that she brought me a doll. She tried to keep in touch, but my stepmom was so jealous, she tore up cards etc: and returned them, gifts were also returned and I was never told about it. Just the opposite-nothing ever came for me. Anyway, that's all past and I'm fine and we did get to gether before she passed away and Elvis knew what he was doing, maybe not how severe it was but whatever, he did resolve that and even though he and I never discussed any of it, it was okay. I did tell him thanks and he said if I ever felt I wanted to or needed to talk about it, he'd play the listener for me and it would make his heart feel good to do that-he was very sweet, spoke so softly and gently and even said he was sorry he had been so blunt about doing it, but he said, "I had to." He wished he was there to hug me, and said again, it just felt like I had to. And he was right, though it was traumatic, it made everything better bewtween allof us-my dad even confessed his "evil ways" and he was no saint either-but all is forgiven and it's okay. And my mom got to talk to Elvis and she's probaly up there waiting with him too. I'm going to have a bunch of people waiting for me-her, him, my uncles, my aunt, grandma and a boy friend who was killed drag racing when he was 18. Another Capricorn too, head strong and often childishly stupid. story of my life. Wouldn't change it for anyone's. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:35 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda,

I'll bet you also could fill a book about your own life story.

But perhaps we all can, don't we. I think we all have good and bad memories and the older we get the more there will come.

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject: Life stories
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Admin

It's true, we all have our story, some more exciting to some people and other's really "out there" as well. but we all have important, meaningful and interesting stories-always someone who learns from or teaches with their stories. I would like to write Suzy's story, she had an amazing life-two different ones actually, and I tried to get her to tape her stories, but now she can't remember where the tapes are! I recall many things she told still so much that hasn't been as I've been finding out now that she's remembering her earlier life-former life as she calls it. And our Maia! Her story is super-but I don't know much of it to where I could detail things...she has had so many "out of this world" kind of experiences and they would easily fill two books! A very, very special person is Maia. And Simeon has added to her story in some unique and meaningful ways as well. My story is rather bla and mundane-until Elvis came into it and only that made my life have any special meaning or worth while telling about it. And that's a fact-it would bore me but for him! Finding a life when he left was hard-we had to all do so-Starla went into music, Jimmie joined a union and took off with that and I went to horses...my first love actually, always had loved them and wanted one of my own. So at 50-I began a new life! ha. wjh

Post subject: lives
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, he was a big major part of us-even now it comes and goes, yet seems to always be there. I think that's kind of the way it is for everyone -even if they didn't meet him, they might have seen him, they were bound to have heard him, and in some way he influenced them and some may not even be aware of it. He was just there-and still is in the background, when we least expect it-even in our dreams- ashe said,very serious, in that soft, on stage kind of hushed voice, "Kinda like a real rank awful stinkin the air that gets sucked in an' no matter what ya do, it keeps comin' back...bout right isn't it? Me-I mean-just keep on comin' back, over 'n over again." Then he laughed his head off. As he said, "Man, it never ends!" wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AIN'T HE JUST FANTASIC THOUGH? BARB!!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next