It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: ELVIS PRESLEY "QUOTES"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 pm 
Flame

Quote:
“Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess.”
-Elvis in 1956, talking about his way of moving on stage.

Quote:
"I ain't no saint, but I've tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God...I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give some kid that feeling, I would believe I had contributed something to the world."
-Elvis commenting to a reporter, 1950's.

Quote:
“Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.”
-Elvis often used this adaptation of a well-known quotation.

Quote:
“When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that: ‘Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you.”
-From his acceptance speech for the 1970 Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation Award. Given at a ceremony on January 16, 1971. (Elvis quotes from copyrighted material with lines from the song “Without a Song”.)

Quote:
“We do two shows a night for five weeks. A lotta times we’ll go upstairs and sing until daylight - gospel songs. We grew up with it...It more or less puts your mind at ease. It does mine.”
-Talking about the informal jam sessions he and the band and entourage enjoy each night during the lengthy Vegas engagements. These happen upstairs in Elvis’ suite at the Las Vegas Hilton as they all try to “wind down” from the excitement and energy of the live shows. Quote is from a 1972 taped interview used in MGM’s documentary "Elvis on Tour."

Quote:
“I’ve never gotten over what they call stagefright. I go through it every show. I’m pretty concerned, I’m pretty much thinking about the show. I never get completely comfortable with it, and I don’t let the people around me get comfortable with it, in that I remind them that it’s a new crowd out there, it’s a new audience, and they haven’t seen us before. So it’s got to be like the first time we go on.”
-From a 1972 taped interview used in MGM’s documentary "Elvis on Tour"

“The first time that I appeared on stage, it scared me to death. I really didn’t know what all the yelling was about. I didn’t realize that my body was moving. It’s a natural thing to me. So to the manager backstage I said, ‘What’d I do? What’d I do?’ And he said “Whatever it is, go back and do it again.”
-From a 1972 taped interview used in MGM’s documentary "Elvis on Tour"

“Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn’t do anything but just jiggle.”
-From the press conference prior to his record-breaking Madison Square Garden shows in New York City, 1972

“...the image is one thing and the human being is another...it’s very hard to live up to an image.”
-From the press conference prior to his record-breaking Madison Square Garden shows in New York City, 1972

“A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It’s my favorite part of the business - live concerts.”
-Elvis at a press conference prior to his 1973 television special, "Elvis - Aloha from Hawaii, via Satellite"

“ ‘Til we meet again, may God bless you. Adios.”
-Said in 1977 at the end of a concert during his last tour

“I didn’t know what I wanted to do as a kid but I used to pray to God that I’d amount to something some day. I never dreamed that something like this would happen.”

“My mama would never let me out of her sight. I couldn’t go down to the creek with the other kids. Sometimes, when I was little, I used to run off. Mama would whip me, and I though she didn’t love me.”

“I believe in the Bible. I believe that all good thing come from God. I didn’t believe, I’d sing the way I do if God hadn’t wanted me to. My voice is God’s will, not mine.”

“Clothes say things about you that you can’t, sometimes”

“Nobody knew I sang. I wasn’t popular in school. I wasn’t dating anybody. In the eleventh grade they entered me, in another talent show. I came out and did two songs and heard people kind of rumbling and whispering. I was amazed at how popular I was after that.”

“I had records by Mario Lanza when I was seventeen, eighteen years old. I would listen to the Metropolitan Opera. I just loved music. Music period.”

“I was an overnight sensation, A year after they heard me the first time, they called me back”

“Talent is being able to sell what you’re feeling”.

“In public, I like real conservative clothes, something that’s not too flashy. But on stage, I like them as flashy as you can get them”.

“The only thing worse that watchin’ a bad movie is bein’ in one”

“I ain’t no saint but I’ve tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God. I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling, he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give that kid that feeling. I would believe I had contributed something to the world.”

“I don’t like to be called Elvis-The Pelvis - It’s one of the most childish expressions I’ve heard coming from an adult. But if they want to call me that, there’s nothing I can do about it so I’ll just to have to accept it.”

“I don’t think you learn to become an actor. I think you just, maybe you’ve got a little bit of acting talent and develop it. If you learn to be an actor, in other words if you’re not a real actor, you’re false.”

“It wasn’t only losing a mother, it was like losing a friend, a companion, someone to talk to, I could wake her up any hour of the night if I was worried or troubled about something”.

“I’ve had a pretty good lesson in human nature. It’s more important to try to surround yourself with people who can give you a little happiness because you can only pass though this life once, Jack. You don’t come back for an encore”.
“When you’re a celebrity, people treat you nicer. The bad part is, they also tell you what they think, you want to hear, which ain’t always the truth.”

“I don’t know anything about music. In my line, you don’t have to”

“I’ve seen UFO never any ghosts. But I believe in an afterlife so it’s possible. When, I’m home, I can feel my mama’s presence.”

“Sometimes when I walk into a room at home and see all the gold records hanging on the walls, I think they must belong to another person, not me, I just can’t believe that it’s true”.

“Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away”.

“Adversity is sometimes hard upon a man; but for one man who can stand prosperity, there a hundred that will stand adversity.”

“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine”

“I knew by heart all the dialogue of James Dean’s films; I could watch Rebel without a cause a hundred times over”.

“You see, country music was always part of the influence of my type of music - it is a combination of country music and gospel and rhythm and blues... I liked all different types of music when I was a child. Of course, the Grand Ole Opry was the first thing I ever heard, probably. But I liked the blues and the Gospel Quartets, and that.”

“I have people say to me all the time, why don’t you do an artistic picture, why don’t you do this picture and that picture ? Well that’s fine, I would like to. I would like to do something someday where I feel I’ve really done a good job as an actor, a certain type role. But I feel it come with time, and a little living and a few years behind you. I think that I will come eventually, that’s my goal.”

On March 24, 1958, Elvis was sworn in as a private in the U.S. Army at Draft Board # 86 in Memphis. He took the following oath : “I, Elvis Presley, do solemnly swear , that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the uniform code of military justice. So help me God.”

When Elvis asked if the other soldiers gave him a rough time because he was famous, he replied, “No Sir, I was very surprised. I’ve never met a better group of boys in my life. They probably would have, if it had been like everybody, though. I mean, everybody though, I woudn’t have to work and I would have special treatment and his and that, but when they looked around and saw I was on K.P. and I was pulling guard duty and everything just like they were - well they figured, well, he’s just like us”.

“The thing I like about success is to know that you’re got so many friends, a lot of real close friends, a lot of real close friends that I’ve made since I’ve been in the business”.

Elvis used to say, “You don’t think these guys are important ? I’m a multimillion-dollar operation, and I can’t do this on my own.”

“Gossip is small words from small minds”.

“This is my corporation which travels with me all the time. More than that, all these members of my corporation are my friends”.

“My voice is just an ordinary voice. What people come to see is how I use it. If I stand still while I’m singing, I’m dead”.

“Rock ‘n’ roll is music. Why should music contribute to juvenile delinquency?” If people are gonna be delinquents, if they hear Mother Goose rhymes. Rock ‘n’ roll does not contribute to juvenile delinquency at all”.

“When rock ‘n’ roll dies out another type of emotional music is going to take its place. Then I can sit on my back porch of Graceland and remember the good ol’ days”.

“I had a great ambition to play football. I’ve always had and I still have, believe it or not. The thing I keep us with the most professional football. I know all the players; I know all their numbers, who they play for. I watch all the games that I can. I get the films from the tean themselves if I can. Next to entertainment thing and music, football is the thing I enjoy the best.”

“You only pass through this life once. You don’t come back for an encore…Life comes down to family, few friends, and someone to love…Something to look forward to, something to share, and someone to share it with”.

“You know tragedy, losing my mother while in the army. I think like that, as tragic as they are, can help to make you a better human being. You learn more about yourself. It gives you a better understanding about yourself as well as other person”.

“I suppose you know I’ve got a lot a cars. People have written about it in the papers and a lot of them ask me why. Well, while I was driving a truck, everytime a big shinny car drove by, it started me sort of daydreaming. I always felt that someday, somehow, something would happen to change everything for me. I would daydream about how it would be.”

"When I was a boy, I used to sit on the curb and watch the other kids play. I wanted to play too, but they wouldn't let me, I guess they though I was weird or something...After i started performing, I was appearing at this shopping center out in the parking lot on the back of an open truck...Those same kids that wouldn't let me play with them asked their mamas to give them a dollar and to drive them to my show. Their mamas asked them why they would pay to see me when I wasn't good enough to play with. They said , "This is different. Elvis is a star."

Elvis on the trick of the trade: " I had a German-made Messerschmidt, a little car. And there's a guy in town that's been wanting that Messerchmidt for the last year...he owns a clothing store, one of the top clothing in Memphis. So I went up there the other day and I told him...you been wantin' the car so bad, so I'll make a deal with you. He said okay. So I said you let me pick out all the clothes in here that I want and you can have the car. So I went up there for about two hours and a half and the store was a wreak when I left."

An interview once asked Elvis what he thought of the people who attend his shows. Anad while his devotion to his fans was as strong as theirs to him, this time his answer was quite comical: " Opinion of the audience ? Well, I'd look pretty funny without one. But actually, I suppose you're taking about the yelling and everything. Actually, it's good because it covers up my mistakes. Whenever I hit a sour note, nobody knows it but me."

On march 24, 1958. Elvis was sworn in as private in the U.S. Army at Draft Board #86 in Memphis. He took the following oath: “I, Elvis Presley, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officiers appointed over me, according to the regulations of the uniform code of military justice. So help me God.”

Question to Elvis : When you hear rock’n roll, does it get you on fire ? Elvis : “ oh, not when I just hear it on the radio. When I do it on a stage. You have to put on a show for the people. In other words...you to put on a show to draw a crowd. If I stood out there and sang and never moved, people would say. ‘Well, my goodness, I can stay home and listen to his records. “But you have to give them a show, somethin’ to talk about”.

Elvis once recalled the 1948 move: “We were broke, man, broke, and we left Tupelo overnight. Dad packed all our belongings in boxes and put them on the top and in the truck of a 1939 Playmouth. We just headed to Memphis. Thing had to be better.”

Did Elvis tell a little fib at his first post-army press conference at Graceland? You be the judge. A reporter asked if he had left behind anyone special in Germany. His answer: “Not any special one. There a little girl that I was seeing quite often. Her father was in the air force. And I was seeing her, and she was at the airport when I left. And there were some pictures made of her. But it was no big romance. I mean, the stories came out, ‘The Girl He Left Behind’ and all that. It wasn’t like that.”. By the way, her name was Priscilla.

“We don’t have our full band here tonight, but we’d like to give you an idea of how I started out about 14 years ago, and the sound that we had back then...This is Scotty Moore, my guitar player. And this is my drummer. He’s from Shreveport, Louisiana. And I met him about 10 years ago- D.J. Fontana. The first thing we recorded, the very first thing, was an old rythmn and blues type song called “That’s all right, Little Mama”, and we only had two or three instruments at the time. We had a guitar, a bass and another guitar. And it when like this...”
-From "Elvis" NBC December 3, 1968

"Value are like fingerprints. Nobody's the same, but you leave them all everything you do"

"The big people don't need me. It's the liltle peple that need me".

Last edited by Liliane on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ELVIS PRESLEY "QUOTES"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Liliane did these Quotes that Elvis said Surprise You? I think a whole lot of People that come here to Read have been Surprised when they Read on ELC all that Elvis had to say, I think it is Because Elvis was Never Allowed to Talk Much in Interviews. I also think it is Because All that Most Fans Know of Elvis is the Image that have Seen in Concert's and in Movies. But Thank The Lord for Wanda, that she Let Elvis Talk in her Books. So that his Fans knew what was on his Mind and how he Felt about things, and that ELC was Made By Maia to let Wanda Post all that Elvis had to Say. :love:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

I loved reading the quotes here...for a guy who didn't have much to say- he sure put a lot into what he DID say-

The problem he had in talking much was mostly due to the people who were asking him things-they often were so excited to have him right there in person, they tended to interrupt him, sometimes to the point he just shut up
and let them talk. When he did find someone who was really interested in
what he had to say, he talked quite a bit. And he was a very intelligent and
thoughtful person to listen to. I liked to hear him speaking about the things
he was interested in, some times he would be very very serious, and get a
little miffed if he felt that I was "giving him lip service" and not paying attention. At times he would throw out a question to see if you did listen!
He would have been a wonderful teacher for kids...they would have been
so attentive...and learned a lot...because Elvis was intelligent in a way that
didn't offend anyone because he cared about their feelings.
wjh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:21 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: I would have been So Blessed if I Could have Heard Elvis Talk, about what Interest Him. He wouldn't have to had Asked me Something to see if I had been Listening, I wouldn't have said a Word until he was Done. :hug:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:07 am 
Flame

It seems that nobody really listen to what he had to say and that's sad because he reveal so much of himself with his statements. But people are "blind and deaf" when it comes to the real Elvis......They only see the image "Elvis". :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm 
Sun Dial

:( Your So Right Angel Eyes, its such a Shame, that Most People Even Some Elvis Fans still today Only Believe the Lies and Mud that has been Said, Printed. But I have Known Since I was 12 Years Old Only The Real Loving, Sweet Man that Elvis was. :love:

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]