It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Telegram from 1957
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:48 am 
Elvis sends a rambling six-page telegram of explanation and apology to Private Nixon that seems to go far beyond anything to do with the specific incident ( Elvis is accused of pulling a gun on Private Hershel Nixon, a nineteen-year-old Marine, who claims that Elvis insulted his wife) and offers up a kind of discursive guide to the social, personal, and political philosophy that will govern Elvis all his life:

"I read in the paper that you wanted an apology and I am willing to give you an apology in fact I think we owe each other one. The whole thing is kind of uncalled for. I`m sorry that it happened but heaven knows it was all strictly uncalled for. I would like to straighten out another rumor that started out there a few months ago. Somebody started the rumor that I didn`t like marines or sailors and it was for a while that every time I got out there was some marine or sailor that tried to cause trouble with me. And also somebody started the rumor in Mexico that I didn`t like Mexicans and a lot of Mexicans got mad at me and then there in Memphis the rumor got out that I didn`t like colored people and God knows I have never said that I didn`t like anybody. Its just that rumors like that get started and there is nothing I can do about it. The marines and the navy and the army and the Air Force protect our country and they have been around for a long time protecting us so who am I to say that I don`t like anybody because God created everybody equal and I would never say that I didn`t like anybody.
I`m not saying this because I am afraid for heaven knows I am not in the least bit afraid but I just don`t want anybody thinking I said things like that when I never even thought about it.
I got a lucky break in life and I am very thankful for it but there are a few people who want to take shots at me. The majority of people all over the world are very nice but there are a few who want to prove something. I have talked my way out of trouble so many times that I couldn´t even count them not because I was afraid but just because I was always the type of person that I never did believe in fighting and all that kind of stuff unless I thought it was absolutely necessary.
And about the instance the other night and about the gun. The gun is a Hollywood prop gun and I brought it home because a lot of people ask me about how movies are made and about the guns and so on. I had about six of those guns with me and I was just showing them to some people and you called me over there. Many times there have been people who came up to me and stick out their hands with me and they hit me or I have had guys to come up and ask for autographs and hit me and then take off for no reason at all. I had never laid eyes on them before. I said many,actually there were very few, but I had have it happen to me so when you and your friends called me off the other night and you started that stuff about me bumping into your wife I didn`t know what you were going to do. I´m just like you. If a guy can do something to protect himself he should do it. Again I say I am sorry the whole thing came up. I hope you have the best of luck in the future and I would like to add that some of my best friends are marines and some are sailors and the army and the Air Force and so on and I think they are all great outfits because if it wasn`t for them and if it wasn`t for God where would our country be. So long."

Very simple, straight from the heart and sincere.......that`s Elvis.
The photocopy of this telegram is in the book "Elvis Day by Day", which I talked about in the DVD,Book,...-Section.

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:51 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Everytime I post a new topic I cannot log in.....

That was a telegram by Elvis from March 1957

Christine

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject: telegram-
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

yes thanks for posting that telegram. I had not read it before and it is so amazing that it was 1957 and Elvis was the same right on through 77. He still said the same kinds of things, tried to explain himself, spoke up for God and country and was honest, open and still tended to overkill...with explaining. So dear, so sweet and so careful to try and get along with everyone as honestly and openly as he was allowed to be even then.
He didn't change-he really didn't. He said he hadn't changed, he just knew a little more-and it's true. How could some body like him get so many different descriptions and tales told about him? Most of them wrong, degrogatory and with downright evil intent! I guess it's totally true, evil does try to take over good, just as he said in many different ways. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:38 am 
BUT I THANK GOD THAT ELVIS NEVER LET ANYBODY CHANGE HIM, LIKE I KNOW A FEW TRIED. LIKE I SEEN SOMEWHERE I THINK TODAY, AND I'M NOT POSTIVE ELVIS REALLY SAID THIS. BUT HE SAID WHAT IS MY NAME? " ELVIS WHAT YOU SEE IS JUST ME"! BECAUSE HE NEVER TRIED TO BE SOMEBODY HE WASN'T, AND HE ALWAYS TREATED PEOPLE IN THE WAY HE WANTED TO BE TREATED! BARB!

Last edited by Barbara Lea on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:01 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

HOW MATURE WAS OUR" BABY BOY" AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE..IF ONLY MORE EYES COULD SEE THIS..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:44 pm 
SORRY YOU ALL FOR GOOFING UP WHAT I SAID ABOVE! :oops: BARB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:52 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Barb, why "gooffing up? I think you made a point there! More than that, you made two, as I see it.

Sure you expresses yourself very emotionally. It comes out very vivid and not less true. Your heart speaks loud and clear. How many people can not say the same about himselves?

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:02 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you for posting the telegram Christine!!
You didn't goof up Barb, Elvis did stay the same way all through, nobody could ever change our dear sweet sweet precious loving giving man!! I wish people could understand him and want to really get to know him!!

Thanks,
Fran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 am 
THANKS YOU ALL I SOMETIMES GET SO RILED UP AT HOW PEOPLE CAN ONLY SEE JUST THE SURFACE OF ELVIS AND NOT THE DEEPER PART OF HIM, HIS INNER SELF. THAT AFTER I HAVE SAID MY MOUTH FULL, I THINK I HOPE I HAVEN'T UPSET ANYBODY. SO THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING ME! I LOVYA ALL LIKE MY FAMILY! BARB!

Last edited by Barbara Lea on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:49 am 
THANKS SUE YOU ARE A WONDERFUL PERSON, AND SO IS EVERYONE HERE! BARB!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next