It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: B. J. Baker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It is my singular honor and distinct privilege to have known Elvis Presley. It was also a great pleasure to have worked on his movies as a background singer and later as a contractor, conducting the vocal choirs for his TV specials.

In a business where working with every major star becomes commonplace, I could never quite discern my feelings of overwhelming emotion around Elvis. In reviewing the passing parade of personal memories of him, I'm once again filled with a sense of awe and wonder at such a worldly innocent whose primary thought was of pleasing, helping, healing, soothing and uplifting those around him; a man whos blessed everyone by his mere prsence; a man so open, honest, and trusting that he was completely blind to the evil intent of others.

My lasting impression is of a man whose generosity was without limitation. As a child suffering the sting of depression poverty, he insisted upon giving away his most prized possession. The giving never stopped. It was his way of letting you know that you were the most special person in the world--to him and to God.

It was for his love of all people everywhere that he dedicated his work and for the last time, he gave his most prized possession...his life. And the giving continues.

In admiration and gratitude, B.J. Baker

Ms. Baker is this publisher of Kathy Westmoreland's book, Elvis and Kathy. This quote above comes from Elvis and Kathy.)

The Book:

http://www.elvislightedcandle.org/recommended.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:38 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Months later, after confronting what we felt about him by heart with real facts in Elvis' life, I'm too:

"FILLED WITH A SENSE OF AWE AND WONDER" at such a precious human being Elvis was.

I feel strongly the need to help the world to know who he was/is and I commit to that objective as much as my capacity and forces permit. I know that this feeling is shared by the friends in this website and it's good to know.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:40 pm 
AMEN AND DITTO TO THAT! :D BARB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:37 pm 
IS SHE SURE DID, AND I PRAY THAT ALOT MORE PEOPLE DO! FAIRYTALE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:50 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Reading it again, there's once more that feeling for Elvis that this person expresses so well and we share here in ELC.

I don't have other way for explaining it but as being theELVIS' EFFECT, that is the same to me than the LOVE'S EFFECT.

To connect with that energy is like a shoot in the heart, coming from inside, outward. Quickly it is transformated in the need to express Love and care to others in a creative process.

If we observe the developing of contents in this Forum, even in the appearence of the posts, we'll see how that "flow" is finding its expression between us (and from us, to the world).

I feel it's important to find the way for each one of us, to canalize it outwards, not to let that precious energy blocked in the ambit of the ELC Forum in an endogamic way, but let it be put at the service of others.

What El'vis asked to us, to send "bubbles", for instance, is good. We may irradiate that Love energy we are canalizing that way, but also in every moment of our current life. Through Elvis/El'vis, we activated or widened our connection to the Source. If we are conscient of this every day, we'll spread it more accurately.

See Sue, what you have done bringing that post back today? Like Elvis, its difficult for me to stop once started. :roll:

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:23 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
My lasting impression is of a man whose generosity was without limitation. As a child suffering the sting of depression poverty, he insisted upon giving away his most prized possession.

I remember reading that Elvis as a little boy received a bike from his parents. This was quite an expense for such a poor family. However, Elvis kept giving it to another little boy down the street who had no bike. His father went to the neighbor's house a couple of times to retrieve the bike. But Elvis would just give it away again, so Vernon finally gave up. Here we have Elvis thinking of others even as a child.

Post subject: giving away his toys
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

yes his dad mentioned that in an interview-his son was always giving his things away, clothes, toys, whatever and even his lunch. He still continued doing that as an adult right to the end. And it's continuing on in his name.

Elvis told me about some of his toys that he gave away-one being the trike-it wasn't a bike but a tricycle-he never had a bike as a kid but he borrowed one a lot of the time he said. He couldn't get a paper route because he didn't have his own bike. He gave the tricycle to a little as he put it then "colored fella who loved it so much-an didn't have nothin' compared to what we had..." and they didn't have nothing either but to Elvis it was far more than that family had...and he said, "he didn't have a daddy that was his..." He laughed telling about how his parents went and got the trike a couple times and how he'd ride it back down there an give it back to him. He said he told him to hide it so they wouldn't take it again but he wouldn't so his daddy brought it home and told him to not do that no more Elvis! And his momma said she'd take it back to the store and Elvis said he told her, "no momma you can't-it's not new no more they won't take it back!" And then he went out and scratched it up so it wouldn't go back to the store! Smart little guy-he was only about 5 years or so old-he wasn't weaned yet he said! And laughed about that too.
The third or fourth time, they finally gave up he said and he got to ride it too, they shared the trike and played together until finally some of his father's relatives told his momma she ought not let Elvis play with them "colored kids so much-he was startin' to be too much like them".
So he had to stop going down there and she wouldn't let him out of the yard or off the front porch most of the time. But he sneaked out every chance he got and went back down-and the last time they were gone, they had moved and he didn't know to where and he said he was so upset, so angry with his folks because he had "lost them...his friends." He broke the front window pane out he was so angry-and got a whipping for it and as he put it," some other stuff-punishement,ya know." It took months for them to get enough money to replace the window so he never did anything like that again. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:26 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I remember another story of Elvis giving as a young kid in Tupelo. Hope I recall the details correctly. At one of his schools there was a Christmas gift exchange between the kids. Elvis' parents were so poor they could not afford to buy a gift so Elvis gave one of his own toy trucks to the another little boy. From what I recall this boy knew it was used but understood. The recipient remembered this example of Elvis' giving in his youth and wanted to make it known.
It would my guess that Elvis did not have a lot of toys as a kid, being that he came from a poor family, so it's not like he would have had a lot of excess toys hanging around as many of today's kids do.

Post subject: toys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Right Laurie, he didn't. His grandfather made him the first toy truck he ever had-out of sewing spools and pieces of wood he carved and Elvis said the wheels would roll if he pushed hard enough and it had a flat bed to haul stuff on and that he loved it so...it was painted red and blue from little bits of paint that his grandfather came up with from some empty paint cans from what Elvis called the little dump outside of Tupelo...He said he had that when they (he and his mom) stayed for "awhile" in a shed that had a hard dirt floor and she spanked him for "driving his truck so hard and making markes on the floor from the wheels digging in". He was about 3 1/2 years old then and he remembered it so clearly, spoke about the window and the door that didnt shut good and rats and mice came in and he was afraid of rats-he still didn't like them as an adult either...not wild ones for sure. And how it was too cold to stay there (they didn't have heat except for a big bucket his mom had a little fire in to heat things for cooking something to eat. So she moved him to her sister's place I think he said and they stayed there but it was small and crowded and he didnt sleep so she slept on the floor with him so he could play and not keep everyone awake. His father was in jail at that time for a year I think, unless he got out early and had to work on a chain gang type of situation and that's how his back got hurt Elvis said, and it hurt him all the time and that probably is why he drank -to kill the pain of that and emotional things as well. He couldn't find work, was called lazy etc; and all of that but he didn't finish grade school, couldn't read very well at the time, was one of a bunch and all had been poor their whole life, he married "an older woman" Gladys, as a teen ager and they hoped to better themselves on their own. He was doing pretty well until he did the check thing and then had a bad rep and couldn't find work that paid enough to keep them and too, with a bad back then, it would have been hard to do. I think that Elvis felt he had to pull his weight and that of his father because he felt empathy for him, he knew the background, the whys and they were all very poor but they had pride and they didn't complain, they just went out and buckled down to whatever they could get. Elvis was driven to make their lives better-he saw the suffering, he heard them whispering about it and learned that his mother was doing without food for his sake and that just about killed him. Even talking about it, the emotion nearly choked him up...he forgave his dad for drinking, he forgave everything and went out and made them proud and gave them things they never dreamed about. At least he had that to remember, he gave his mom everything she'd never had and he got to see her face and hear her joy. I just wish he could have always remembered that and not the sad part-or the guilt he felt thinking that he had worried her so much, he killed her. When he said that I didn't know what to say to him, it was like a knife stabbing him through the heart...he wasn't himself...he hadn't slept in days and had taken enough sleeping pills as he put it to knock an elephant out but they weren't doing anything for him except making him feel sick and throwing him into the doldrums big time. He finally did just kind of drift off and slept -I listened and checked on him for a little while then, hung up as he was quiet and seemed to be sleeping okay...and I called back a few minutes later and Charlie-at least I think it was him-answered very softly-he had a soft southern voice and didn't talk like the steps or any of the one's I had heard-so I think it was Charlie-he said, "yeh? I said I was just checking to see if he was sleeping alright now... he was quiet a couple seconds then said very politely, "yeh...he is. thank you. I said bye-bye and hung up. I'm sure he didn't know who the heck I was or care...but it seemed to make points that I had called to check. I am sure it was little Charlie Hodge the "drunk" as the mm guys like to tell it, whom Elvis "pitied and worried about" etc:...yeah sure, kind of like he did them? wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:12 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda, what you wrote moved my heart so. Elvis & his family had such a hard life during his growing up years, and then after the fame & forturne came, Elvis had to deal with other kinds of sufferings. He endured a lot in his short life. Of course, there were many happy times as well, thank heaven.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next