It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Meeting Elvis in the men's room...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

This is from the letter I was looking for about the young woman who met Elvis while cleaning the restrooms etc: for the Annex Studio where in the 50's Elvis had recorded Jail House Rock. I think they called that Studio B but not sure right now. Anyway she met him in the early 60's and he was working there at night when she was cleaning things. She was in the men's room, he came in and they met "over the john" he said later on -she was the one with the "greasy hair, scared face and no confidence" but he borrowed her comb and asked her out until she finally accepted. Here is some more of her story as she wrote it and it tells a bit more about him and what he said about the ring he gave her.
It picks up where she had turned him down, "didn't see him for a few days and then there he was- waiting next to my car when I came out. He didn't say a word, took my keys from my hand, unlocked my car door, went to the back, unlocked the trunk, put my things inside, closed it, took me by the arm and put me in my car then he came around to the passenger side, unlocked it, got in, put the keys back in my hand and said, "Okay, when do you have time to go to the movies -or where ever you'd like to go...with me? Is there something I'm doing you don't like-just tell me an' I'll stop doin' it."
I could barely talk, he was too close for comfort and he scared me-how he made me feel, like I couldn't breathe and when he left, he took everything, all my emotions with him...I never wanted him to leave. I could have died and it would have been all right as long as he was there. He said he'd follow me home so he'd know where I lived and he'd pick me up in two hours-I said no-I need more time. He said then I'll pick you up tomorrow night and we'll have dinner and watch some movies-or whatever you'd like to do. I said, a ride; I like to go for a ride. He said, Okay, me too, I like to drive-I'll take you to my favorite place-we can get something to eat and take it there-you'll like it-it's beautiful and quiet. I said okay, but I can't remember anything else-just his eyes and how his hand felt holding mine. I think my blood was flowing into his-it was like being pulled into a warm, comforting place and I didn't want him to let go. When he did-I felt so empty and cold. He came to my window, leaned down and said, "You got such beautiful eyes honey, the windows to your soul and your heart-beautiful, just beautiful. I can't wait to have you see my special place-it's real high, looking over the whole city. See ya later, he said, smiled and I thought my heart would burst when that smile lit up everything a round me-it was as if everything was bathed in its glow.
I was scared stiff. I didn't go to work Friday-instead I went to a beauty shop, had a make over, my hair done and spent more than $50.00 on trying to look good for him. It didn't help. I still saw the frumpy, skinny and scared woman looking back at me. I almost didn't go-but he came wearing a suit but without a tie. He came to my door, rang the bell and I could barely walk to open it. He smiled, looked me over and said, "Whewwww! You don't look like a "cleanin' lady" to me! I had asked him why would you want to take a cleaning lady out? I don't know what I said but it was probably gibberish. He led me to his car, a lemon yellow and white Cadillac coup devile convertible and held the door while I got in. He came to his side, got in, handed me a long white florist box and said, "Beauty of nature-for a natural beauty"-in it was one perfect pink rose. No man had ever given me flowers-in fact no man had ever given me anything-not even my brother.
We stopped at a hamburger place and then drove for some time up into the mountains where he turned down a dirt road and drove out to where we had a view of the entire valley and all the lights below. It was almost like flying over them we were so high in the sky. Elvis put the top down, it was beautiful and quiet except for night creature noises. He was sweet, showing me places and talking about the lights and pointing out the area where he lived above Hollywood's Sunset strip. He didn't make any moves on me though I thought he would, after all it seemed like a "lover's lane" kind of place though I'd never seen one of those. He told me about his childhood, not having much and how he had fell into music and then the movie business came along with it but he didn't feel comfortable with the other Hollywood people, the life style wasn't one he liked, so he liked to stay with his friends and people he knew and tried to keep his feet on the ground. I liked him, he was honest and open and I think lonely too, we had that in common and I felt comfortable with him kind of all at once. He took me home after about 3 hours of talking, held my hand at the door, kissed my cheek and said he had a good time and would like to see me again, if I didn't mind that he tended to do all the talking. Next time he said, I'll let you tell me what's on your mind, Okay. It hurt to see him walking away, I thought I would cry and he turned back, facing me, smiled and then waved and got into his car and drove away. I slept like a baby that night-didn't dream at all.
Our next date was at his house, with me at one end of a long table and him at the other and his cook serving us. It was strangely quiet and he didn't talk much. We watched movies in his room, propped up on his bed against the head board and pillows. He held my hand, kissed my fingers, lay his head on my shoulder but that was it. I'm sure my heart beat drowed out the television!
Elvis told me I was beautiful, that my skin wasn't noticable because my eyes were stunning, it was impossible to see anything but their beauty he said. He told me I was very much a beautiful woman, there wasn't anything wrong with me or my hair and that he was used to seeing beautiful women all the time, they weren't any better looking than me. In fact, he said with his lips on my ear, you are better looking than many of them-it's just the make up they have on-you don't need all that to be beautiful. He was very sincere, I believed him when he said it-but later on thinking about it, I realized he knew how I felt and was trying to give me confidence, to help me see myself in a better light. We were very close for several weeks, he kissed me, things were hot but he didn't press me for sex, or suggest it, in fact, he told me I would fall in love within a year and said, don't look at me-it's not gonna be me-I'm not the marryin' kind honey! Don't want a ring in my nose! He laughed, so did I; it had already happened-I was in love and ring or not, he was the one...but I never let him know that.
We had some fun times, he had lots of male companions but they were never around, he came to get me himself and we went out in his cars-a few times he picked me up in a station wagon and we lay in the back of it looking at the stars up on Mullhulland drive or he'd drive to Big Bear or out into the desert areas. We talked a lot, I think he told me his life story-the mini version he said and I told him mine. He cried with me when I told him how I never knew my dad and had no relationship with any man growing up and how it had affected my brother, making him a cold and lonely guy.
And I learned that my mother had passed the same day his had; we held each other and cried over them again.
On our last date he returned my comb he had borrowed saying he just wanted something of mind to hold on to for a while. Then he gave me a present-a gold dresser set with a gold plated mirror, gold trimmed brush and comb and a little gold trinket box for keeping special things in. he said, now you have something just like those glamour girls have on their dressing tables-"they don't have nothin' on you baby-an' don't you forget it!"
He was leaving for Memphis and then was going to be gone from LA for quite a while doing a movie he said and that he'd call if he had time. I'm glad I didn't realize I wouldn't see him again.Our last date was something else-I wish it had been more but Elvis wouldn't take his clothes off-believe me I tried to get him out of them! I was coming out of mine-he was trying to button me back up and I was urging him to "git naked" but he wouldn't give in though he wanted to very much. I'm glad now that he wasn't what I expected him to be; that he was honorable, thoughtful and wise for someone so involved in Hollywood's atmosphere of anything goes. He said he had been "a wild one" for a while, but then he got his ass kicked by reality and it straightened him out some...as much as he ever would be he added.
He was a wonderful guy; I love him dearly and owe him a great deal for making me a whole person in his sweet, gentle and wise way. He truly was a special man, who practiced his faith and his belief every day of his life and with everyone he met. He gave me a ring that was his, white gold with a deep pink opal and one white opal-he said they represented peace and tranquility and that they should be worn on the left hand, closest to the heart because they "tuned the spiritual heart and opened the spheres of love and devotion". I wear it all the time-on my left hand, close to my heart, right next to my memories of him.
Thank you for your book, for offering people like me a chance to express their feelings for him because it does help to tell someone else when you know they will understand-they knew him and to know him is to love him. Best of luck and may you have "peace and tranqulity".
I liked her letter-and wanted to let you all know what the pink and white stones meant. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
You got such beautiful eyes honey, the windows to your soul and your heart-beautiful, just beautiful.

Very touching letter; glad this lady (& you Wanda) shared her story.
Just goes to show how Elvis valued what's most important in people. He looked upon women as valued souls and not a piece of candy. And also he didn't care that she was a cleaning lady either. I wonder how many Hollywood types would be that down to earth? I suspect not too many. Yep, Elvis was & is something special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:18 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

that lady put in this letter almost everything Elvis had in him,which made all of us love him..Thank you Wanda for letting us read it..

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:58 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you very much, Wanda!

That letter brought tears to my eyes and shook my heart with the resonance of Elvis' Love quality.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:08 am 
Site Admin

I thought she expressed things very well-she said she worked for an advertising company and had been married. She also related that while she was trying to line the waste cans, finish wiping the place down, he was washing his hands, splashing water on his face, and hair then asked for a comb, he was watching her in the mirrors and she was all "thumbs and elbows" and then embarrassed herself when she realized one of the chrome wall units was for condoms-and she was polishing it well... Elvis told her he was "just cooling off as it was hot in the studio". I guess he was doing songs for a movie at the time as I don't think he recorded his records there after the army-but he may have. He liked the sound in there-they had the old tube system long after new stuff started to appear for recording. There is a big difference in the new digital sound and the old tube sounds-I like the old ones better and his records feature mostly the older systems as he liked them also. He also liked it to have the "live" sound and to have things mixed up while being played. In that way, he was difficult to record-but what they got was fantastic and made up for all their attention to getting details right. He didn't like having to wear head phones to do things either-said the sound quality wasn't right and he couldn't "hear" chords and instruments seperately and he "needed to hear".
He was always saying things like" "I had to", "I need to" and "Something I have to do" usually in some respect or another it concerned his music or a person he was doing something for in some way. Only in the last few years was he thinking of himself very much-then it was physical problems-health, being tired and worn out, or just wanted to be alone "kind of" he sometimes added as he never really was alone at home or other places-if he wanted company he only had to open his door...

I read the interview with his clothing guy Belew and found it kind of interesting in that he doesn't give Elvis one iota of credit for his costume designs or any of that and seems that he came up with all those ideas etc: and etc: when in fact, it was Elvis who was studying those kinds of things, the designs came from what he was into and his concept of what he wanted to impart to his audiences-he said things often about them, but DID he inject those into Belew's mind just in casual conversation or suggestion? I think he might have in respect for the man's talents and abilities and knew he would run with his ideas if he "planted" them? Sounds like something he would do-it helped him get what he wanted and also let his designer enjoy his creativitity. Elvis of course did not tell him how to do it-only what he'd like on them-the concept etc; would be how he'd approach that deal. He wouldn't "tell him what to do" he'd just let him do it...
Like the gyspey suit...he wanted the healing hands on the chest and heart chakra and he got them...Thumbs correct position etc:...perfect. It just was funny to me how so many people he was around, who did things for him never seemed to notice that he was actually "in charge" and "feeding" them the ideas in ways they'd never notice...and still don't apparently. I agree with everything else he says, so Elvis and then having a suit made to see the president-and it was "spur of the moment" I don't think so! Maybe he didn't plan the exact day and that was spur of the moment...but he had planned it out with somebody and knew what he was going to do in advance. He just couldn't wait and when the moment came-he went...early or not quite planned or not. Some one (s) told him he couldn't do it-so he had to show them he could. And it worked for him. as usual. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

This second reading has been as touching as the first. What a loving soul...!

Thank you, Sue-Lenora.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]