It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Best Friend
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Excerpts from a letter to Wanda June Hill written in 1988 concerning her time with Elvis, which was sometime in the last years oof his life, as she goes into some detail as to how ill he was then.

...he lay down to take a nap if he could and asked me to read to him, and I did from one of his books. He fell asleep for a little while, thenh woke up startled, as if he didn't know where he was. It took a few moments for him to snhap out of it and he said he had been dreamaing and he wasn't sure where he was in the dream, but it wasw one he'd like to go back to sometime. He said it was from "my past".

We played scrabble and he's very smart - he beat me every time. He got dressed and did the show. He was fantastic and the crowd was great. After the show he was singing with the guys and I went to bed. I was worn out and didn't know how he could keep going as he did. He came to bed later ande didn't wake me up until they came in at noon and told him he had to get up and eat and we had to leave.

I saw one more show and it was over. He got a ticket for me to fly home and I saw him get on his plane and it was as if I lost my best friend. I couldn't stop crying on the way home. He didn't ask for my phne number or anything but I left it in his shaving kit. He never called and I didn't hear from him again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:21 pm 
YOU KNOW I WILL ALWAYS WISH I COULD HAVE KNOWN ELVIS IF JUST FOR A LITTLE BIT AS WANDA AND SOME LIKE THE GIRL IN THIS STORY, BUT I SOMETIMES WONDER IF IT WAS BEST I DIDN'T. BECAUSE I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE BEEN STRONG ENOUGH TO HAVE SPENT TIME WITH HIM AND THEN LOSE HIM, OR NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN. :cry: THANKS SUE FOR PUTTING THIS TOUCHING STORY UP AGAIN! FAIRYTALE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Those ladies who did stay with him were special people, they would have had to been to see things going on and keep quiet , say nothing and to have looked after him and stood by while everything went on around them, knowing that he was putting everything he had first for his job and that his men appeared to treat him as a "job" more than a humanbeing most of the time. I could not have handled it, I would have "cleaned house" and then Elvis would have kicked me out the door for my big mouth and huge broom! I just know I would not have been able to be one of those who came, stayed, got to know him so intimately and then walk out the door never to return. Nope...I'm not the type for that.
Bless them for being able to help him while they had a chance-to look after him and comfort him -he was such a little boy under all that macho and grandeur so much of the time. And he was a lonely, hurt little boy deep inside where no one could reach him very often. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:41 am 
Site Admin

I had a lot of help with questions and ideas of things to ask him and then too, he was so openly willing and honest it couldn't have worked any better and I couldn't have asked for more from him. I was speechless at times that he would open up and just turn into a 'regular' guy as much as possible for him to be one of those, and just tell things as he felt-I think straight from the heart and he so wanted to be understood. I know that now-then it wasn't so but now I see more or through more experienced, older eyes maybe? Whatever, he was just wonderful-I wish I had more time and we could have got into the tour things and maybe even some of his movie experiences etc;...there was so much more of him that no one now will ever know and it's sad-but I can't go there! Thanks for letting me know you are enjoying it.
Keep in mind if there is something I need to put that I didn't or you feel is not clear, let me know. Nows the time. wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]