It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: George Klein talks about Elvis and T. Parker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:31 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

From an interview made to George Klein last year, in Elvis Australia:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/intervi ... lein.shtml

SJ : How were the sixties and movie years for you and Elvis?

GK : About halfway through the movie years, some of the guys - myself included - asked the Colonel why he didn't get Elvis better scripts or at least better songs. And he said something to the effect that there were actors who had Oscars who could walk down Hollywood Boulevarde and not get arrested. Hollywood didn't care about Oscars and awards. All they care about is money. And to a degree, he was right. He said, we don't care what the scripts are like. If we have to read a script, that's another million dollars. My boy is getting a million dollars and fifty percent of the profits. Nobody else gets that. If the picture bombs, then we'll get the blame. The Colonel was exaggerating a little bit. We asked him about being artistic and the 'big picture' and he said all you needed to worry about in Hollywood was today, not tomorrow. But a superstar like Elvis could have overridden all that and become a great actor. So I think the Colonel was wrong in that regard.

SJ : So overall, do you think the Colonel was good for Elvis?

GK : I think 90% of what the Colonel did for Elvis was good, ten percent was wrong. The ten percent wrong was the money thing. The 90% was that he got Elvis tremendous deals with RCA, got him on the road, sell-out crowds. His promotion ideas were terrific. He did a real smart thing in that he didn't over-expose Elvis, I thought that was brilliant of the Colonel. But the artistic side of things is where I think the Colonel fell down. He couldn't hear a hit song. He started getting into the publishing side of things, which is why some of the songs weren't very good in the later years like they should have been. The Colonel offended Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, and ran them away from Elvis. Elvis asked them to write a good ballad one day, and by that night, they came up with it. They came to Elvis' hotel, the Beverly Wilshire and played it for us, and it was great. It was Don't, a really beautiful song. So Elvis was recording it soon after. The Colonel came in and asked where did it come from, and someone said from Jerry and Mike. The Colonel started yelling about procedure and all that, he thought people had gone behind his back. So Jerry and Mike said to hell with the Colonel. They did some songs after that, but they never forgave him.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks Amanda. It's more proof, as if any was needed, that it really was all about the money with Parker. And he hurt Elvis artistically because of it. Parker did have good business sense in general, helping the profits to swell, which no doubt Elvis appreciated, but he was not balanced to Elvis' artistic desires. Who knows how many more hit songs Elvis would have had if Parker had not demanded 50% song rights. For example, we know that Elvis wanted to record Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" but was turned down. And Parker also convinced Elvis not to do the lead in "West Side Story", as the production time was longer - so not as profitable.

Parker didn't always have good business sense, though. He wanted to keep Elvis doing movies even as attendance was beginning to decline. It was Elvis following his own artistic desires in the '68 Special which opened the door to the concert years, resulting in more artistic expression for Elvis AND earning power. It's a pity that Parker couldn't see that when Elvis followed his heart on matters, financial success came automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:45 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
It's a pity that Parker couldn't see that when Elvis followed his heart on matters, financial success came automatically.

Right on, Laurie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:26 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Agree with you 100%, Laurie!!

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

What I think on this, Sue-Lenora, is that Tom Parker was part of the design of Elvis' life. Let me put it this way: If I believe in the positiveness behind everything in my life, I must believe the same about Elvis'. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:12 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Dear Sue-Lenora,

You do work persistently in keeping your point of view balanced and positive. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:16 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Yes, I think you try to keep the balance about the Forum situations...

...and you try to better things, beyond the obvious:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:40 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:lol: :lol: :lol:
the emoticons are perfect!!!

Sue-Lenora, you are doing a fantastic job here indeed!! :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:28 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Your are most welcome! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Rainbow Light wrote:

Quote:
I think 90% of what the Colonel did for Elvis was good, ten percent was wrong. The ten percent wrong was the money thing.

Not sure if I'd put that percentage quite SO high in Parker's favor! but credit is due for sure and prepared to say that. I just feel Elvis would have had more job satisfaction had things gone differently sometimes is all! I agree on the money aspect though for sure!

I pretty much agree with you with what you said here Sue-Lenora. Although, like Amanda said, apparently Tom Parker was part of the design of Elvis's life. It's just hard for me to accept or appreciate that aspect in my earthly mind right now knowing how Parker treated Elvis throughout his life. I'm trying though-really. Many thanks to you Amanda for posting this interview. :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next