It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Touring Overseas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:30 pm 
Sun Dial

Elvis always seemd to be at his best artistically when challenged, and the challenge he seemed most frustrated on was touring overseas -- England and Germany in particular, but all over Europe, and Japan. Jerry Schilling's book brings this up numerous times. He personally talked to the Colonel about it, and he directed him to Tom Hulett who was handling Elvis's concert tours. Tom H. (contrary to what the Colonel said) thought it could be handled, no problem, and he and Jerry talked extensively about it that night. When Jerry told the Colonel he had talked to Tom H., the Colonel flew off the handle and screamed, "Then YOU take him!" Message received -- he ain't going if I can help it! Colonel was just putting Jerry off. Elvis mentioned wanting to return to Europe in his post-Army press conference and in the Madison Square Garden press onference, if I remember right. Jerry felt that was one reason Elvis bought the Lisa Marie, to facilitate overseas travel. He wanted to go before he got too old to be what the fans there would be expecting him to be.

I think overall the Colonel did well for Elvis, especially in the beginning in getting him national exposure and big deals, but I think it's a well-known fact that the '68 Special was as great as it was because Elvis and Steve Binder (a 25-year-old kid at the time) refused to do what the Colonel wanted them to do. And I'm pretty sure that returning to live concerts (Vegas '69) was Elvis's idea, triggered by the rush he got performing for those small studio audiences in '68. He thought the International Showroom (about 2000 seats) was cavernous. I'm sure he never dreamed he could fill up the Astrodome or Madison Square Garden for multiple shows. He really underestimated his appeal! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Touring Overseas
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 am 
Site Admin

Wanda Mc wrote:
He really underestimated his appeal! :lol:

He sure did Wanda Mc! :wink: :P :lol:

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2