It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cordia and Georgo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Wanda June, 2-4-79

I have some things to tell you about my times with Elvis beginning with 1956 when I saw him at his first LA show. I got to meet him because I worked at the concessions and went to get his requests and needs. All he wanted was cold water, and some cokes, he said. Then kind of shyly he asked if we had any candy because he had not eaten in over 24 hours. He said he had not the time as there were interviews and too, he had gone to sleep for a couple of hours, then had to meet some people. When first went into the dressing room, I wasn’t sure what to find him like, this youngster with the sour faced pictures and the things said of him, sexual things. And his body movements, you know. But I loved his songs, from the first time I heard them, I loved his style and the voice. He looked so sweet in some of the pictures before he turned sour faced. Anyway, he was sitting down when I came in and I was the only woman in the room with a group of men. Elvis stood to his feet, the others sat there, and then a couple with him stood. He didn’t sit as I was standing. Elvis was polite, shy and there was charm to him, kind of a light that shone from him. and I remember having had a vicious headache, but when he took my hand to shake it, the headache vanished as if it lifted out somehow. I felt wonderful in his presence.

I don’t remember words I said to him but I can recall his voice, the warmth and love in it and how shy he was about asking for anything for himself and yet he asked for beer and cokes for his two men before saying a word on his own behalf. I asked if he wanted anything special, he could not think of anything, he said. He wore a dark suit and a sweater and was too warm for the room. There was a quiet dignity about this sullen young man who easily took charge of the room, giving instructions to the band of music makers with him, and requesting a change in the performance list. One man with him questioned it, Elvis quickly, but softly insisted he do as asked. The man backed down fast and Elvis put his hand on his arm, suggesting he try to get some rest while there was time. Elvis looked as if he could use rest, as his face was pale, dark circle around eyes that he kept closing as if they pained him. There was a bandage on his wrist, I asked about it and he held it out saying a fan had tried to pull off his ID bracelet and the chain had cut into his flesh. I looked under the bandage, as he seemed to want me to, and found an ugly wound. He held onto my hand a moment, and then touched my forehead saying my smile was like his mother’s-warm and kind. He said she and his father were in Memphis and he would be glad to go home where he could rest from the road. He asked if I had read the stories in the paper about him, and sounded hurt when I said I had. He began saying he did not know why they insisted on saying such things, as he didn’t feel he was doing anything dirty or vulgar, and was only moving to the rhythm of the music. He said he never meant for such things to be told or to be thought about him, adding that he only wanted to entertain and make his audience laugh and feel good. If I am being dirty, he said, I don’t know it. His manager came in and Elvis joined him in a private talk.

I saw the show and that’s about all-it was impossible to hear a word he said or sang for the noise the crowd made throughout the entire performance. But young as he was, he was commanding on stage, his presence bigger than life, as it continued to be every time I saw him on stage.

That is my most personal moment with him, though I saw many more shows in Vegas and in LA after that. I went to many a movie set location as my husband provided the hot wagon on many lots and I got to be there for some of Elvis’ productions. Elvis ate many hamburgers, several at a setting until he began dieting, then he would eat yogurt, salad and often nothing but black coffee and some type juice. He loved food and was a nervous, energetic personality; requiring fuel foods to keep up his physical strength and it pained him to not to eat. Often he would go into his trailer alone, until after mealtime so he wouldn’t see people enjoying lunch or dinner. I felt sorry for him at those times and slipped him fruit and jello that he always thanked me for with a smile and a wink. He was always sweet, a gentleman, and nice to the girls who were ever after him. I’ve met many actors and some big stars, and of all the male stars, none of them were the gentleman Elvis was toward ladies and not so ladies. I never once saw or heard a bad action or remark from Elvis, or about him for that matter. It was just opposite, they told how good he was, how kind and thoughtful and commented about his spiritual and religious attitude toward life and love. Elvis was an innocent, a God fearing man who practiced that belief in everyday matters.

Young ladies told of his kindness, sweet nature and patience, men spoke of his eagerness to learn, to be a good actor and of his loyalty to his parents and his friends. This is my story; I wanted to share it with you after reading the many beautiful things about this wonderful young man. Those things you say matched what I saw for several years while we supplied the movie lots and studios with hot wagons when and where they were required. One memory that comes now is that of my special sauce that I made with chili and would put on hamburgers for Elvis. He said it reminded him of some he could buy in Memphis and asked me to “save” some for him because he wanted to be at home and for a few minutes he could be there when he ate my chiliburgers.

My husband and I were heartbroken when he died; he was and is so much a part of our good memories of Hollywood and Films and of the fun times we had providing foods for so many hard working people and to some of the popular stars who also worked hard, trying to do their best. Now we are in retirement our memories are so good to bring out and remember. Thank you again for memories of those wonderful times with Elvis.

Most sincerely,

Cordia and Georgo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:06 pm 
Sue O to be Blessed with that MAGIC TOUCH! YA? HOW VERY MISUNDERSTOOD OUR SWEET, SWEET MAN WAS AND STILL IS, BUT I PRAY THAT WITH WANDA'S BOOK PEOPLE WILL FINALLY SEE THE TRUE LIGHT OF ELVIS! FairyTale!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:06 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
I can recall his voice, the warmth and love in it . . .
Elvis was polite, shy and there was charm to him, kind of a light that shone from him.

It was so touching to read this again. And these people could see & appreciate Elvis' true nature. It's interesting to read about the little things in Elvis' life here, such as how this couple's chiliburgers reminded him of home. And how much he missed being home.

Quote:
I looked under the bandage, as he seemed to want me to, and found an ugly wound.
This part reminded me of a little boy looking for a mother's tender loving care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Thank you so much dear Sue for bringing this back again and my many thanks to our sweet Maia for sharing this beautiful and tender story about our precious boy with us!!! :D :D :D Laurie my dear friend I so agree with what you said about her looking under Elvis' bandage being very reminiscent of a little boy looking for a mother's tender loving care. :wink: :) Bless his little sweet and tender soul!!! :D :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I just love to read such stories , Elvis' warmth and beautiful soul quality is just being transferred to me and I'm just thankful....

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 pm 
All Elvis wanted was to Be Loved! and He had such a Tender Heart! I would just want to Take Care of Every Need he could have, and Love Him. FairyTale!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]