It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Jerry Schilling
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 am 
Sun Dial

This was on a web page I spotted a while back and just ran across again. It's the only place I've ever heard this story, and it just breaks my heart.

Quote:
Jerry Schilling talks about Elvis' darkest days
The court ruled Priscilla gets custody of Lisa Marie. Elvis believed his daughter would be far better off raised with small town values in Memphis, just like he was, than in a big city like Los Angeles.

After days of arguing, Priscilla convinced Elvis that Lisa would be happier with a constant parent, rather than one that was on the road. Touring most of the year, much to his despair, Elvis had to concede to the truth of his usual life-style was not conducive to raising a child on his own.

Although, "Elvis just stood watching as we loaded up Priscilla's blue Mercedes. By then Priscilla was in tears and shaking," says Schilling.

"Elvis took Priscilla into his arms, kissed her gently on the mouth, and said. 'If you need anything, Cilla. Anything at all? You know to let me know'."

Until that final moment, Elvis was still composed, but when it was time to bid farewell to his daughter, Elvis broke down and cried as he swooped his beloved Lisa into his arms. Elvis held Lisa tight for a very long time. "Be a good girl, Button-head," whispered Elvis. (Button-head was Elvis's pet name for Lisa) "You come and visit often, you hear," said Elvis trying to hold back the tears. Then out of sheer desperation Elvis insisted, "Get mummy to teach you how to use the phone, so you can call me everyday, okay."

As Schilling recalls, "Lisa Marie, was always a very perceptive child. She realized this was not the usual way her daddy said goodbye. Normally, Elvis would say, 'Button-head I'm off to work. What do you want daddy to bring you back this time?'"

"This day was strange, and Lisa knew it. She looked into her daddy's eyes and asked him, 'Are you crying, Daddy?'"

At that point, Elvis flashed Priscilla a look that could kill, then delivered Lisa into her mother's waiting arms, turned on his heels, and walked back into the house, without looking back.

"I'd seen that look before in Elvis's eyes," says Schilling. "It was a look that still sends a chill down my spine, when I think of it... It was a look of pain, anger, desperation and hurt."

"For the rest of that day, till about 4 am that night, Elvis closed himself up in his bedroom. He wouldn't eat or take our calls."

"We got very worried. We thought maybe he had knocked myself out with a whole lot of sleeping pills."

"From time to time, Joe and I would sneak up to his bedroom and listen at the door. Once I heard him cursing. Another time I heard him screaming. But mostly we heard Elvis just sobbing."

Finally, Schilling admitted, "I now know, that day was the beginning of the end for the Elvis I had once known and loved."

Footnote: In regard to my personal experience I found Elvis always willing to talk to me if I had a problem. He always treated me as if we were the same. Elvis was a deep person. He would admit to the same insecurities that I had. I remember he told me that things weren't so different for him... sure success, fame, and money gave him the opportunity to have nice things, and buy the things he wanted, but it didn't stop him from having doubts or fears.

Elvis was a very caring person. I remember when I once had a car accident. I was pretty shook up, but nothing real serious. That night I found it difficult to fall asleep. Elvis somehow knew that, and came into my room (we were all staying with Elvis during the shooting of Frankie and Johnny) and talked to me until I fell asleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it was heartbreaking to read and to hear when he said he was afraid he wouldn't get to see his little girl very much, especially when the other person involved with Pris was in the picture, and he felt that he was pushing her to keep Lisa from him. And he was given a sort of ultimatum he thought, that he had to "straighten up his life" or he would never see his daughter. He was angry, hurt and scared and his voice quivered and broke and I could hear him trying not to cry, kind of catching his breath like a kid does when trying not to cry. Tears ran down my face for him that day, but he didn't know, I wouldn't let him know. I told him he had to see his lawyers, that he had rights as a father and that he had to do something now-or it would look as if he had agreed etc: and then she took him back to court for more money etc: and I don't know what all that was about but he was angry then too, not about the money but about what else was in included...so he had his lawyers fix it-he got Lisa when he wanted and she got her money and they didn't "trash each other in the press" as he was ready to do if he had to in order to have his child with him. I was very proud of him for standing up and doing something that he hated having to do-make waves and ripples in his "pond" but for his little girl, he would have walked naked through fire! I like Jerry's book, he didn't include that story-at least I don't think he did since I read it very fast and haven't since but Starla didn't think it was included either. Anyway, Jerry from all I've read that he's said, is a decent, kind hearted guy and he truly did love Elvis though he saw his faults he understood why they took over Elvis' life somewhat. I believe had his health been properly taken care of, Elvis would have done better. He just trusted the wrong people, believed they had his best in mind when in fact, maybe they were just not as good at heart or maybe not as well "trained medically" as they should have been. Whatever, he knows and understands it all now.

Last edited by Wanda June Hill on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Wanda June Hill wrote:
Whatever, he knows and understands it all now.

Wanda I know this in my heart to be true but yet at times, especially after reading what Wanda Mc posted, my heart still breaks into a million little pieces over all of the pain and heartache that poor Elvis had to suffer and endure. :cry: Reading what Jerry said above, I could actually "see" and feel what took place on that very sad day and I just couldn't stop my tears from flowing. :cry: I almost felt like I was somehow there while this was taking place watching helplessly from afar. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:37 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks Julie. I enjoyed reading the article. :D And thanks to Wanda Mc as well for the one you posted -- pretty heartwrenching to read.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:43 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

THANK YOU, JULIE-SHARON ROSE!

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you JulieSharonRose, it's so nice to have good things printed, told by people who truly did care for the man who was Elvis Presley. Jerry is a special person, gifted and spiritual in his way as well, and he recognized those qualities in Elivs-as Elvis saw it in Jerry too. That is why he wanted him around, he felt a connection that he didn't have with so many of them. I wish that there was someone who would talk about Charlie-Kathy W. does but the guys, didn't they know him? I wonder if it was only Elvis who did. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

I thought that Priscilla did a very nice interview and showing of Graceland tonight. It was the best one I've seen her do and it was nice and very pleasantly warm and geniuine. He asked her when she divorced Elvis-she explained very nicely, not one hint of blame etc: there and he startled her by asking that and again later saying she was his ex-wife and his widow...she was taken off guard then and she handled it very well-saying she had not thought of it like that...? Anyway, she looked nice, her hair is longer and looked very nice that length. She showed some of Glady's dresses brought down from the attic where Elvis kept everything of hers-I know that.
And showed the room that his mom and dad had lived in when living there together-later it was his grandmothers room, and Lisa's bedroom was I think his mom's old upstairs bedroom...and the pool room, tv room and the den where he loved to go hang out etc:...and recorded in some as well. She said they would not open the upstairs as it was his personal, private quarters, where he went to have time alone etc: and get away etc: and out of respect and love for him, it would remain his private area. So that's good to know. Anyway, Starla recorded it-so we can make copies for anyone who missed it. It was a very nicely done piece and one of the best ones-with some home movies included and other shots of Elvis performing. I enjoyed it and was pleased-even Starla thought it one of the better ones--and she is very hard to please when it comes to her "Uncle Elvis".
wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:24 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda, I would love to have a copy. I didn't see it. Not having cable, I wasn't able to watch it. Thanks for thinking of others and copying it. I was wishing I had seen it as I was reading your description.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I just came across this video in The Times website. It's an interview to Jerry Schilling:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/audio_ ... online0255

Wanda,

Thank you very much for your review on Priscilla yesterday at Graceland. I'm sooo glad it went so well!

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:10 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
I'm sooo glad it went so well!

So am I!!!! :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next