It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lori Williams
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 am 
Sun Dial

Williams related an incident that occurred while she worked on Elvis's film, Kissin' Cousins. "We were up in Big Bear. I was hired as a dancer. Elvis had a thing where he had to have people he felt comfortable with. He always said that's why we were in the troupe as a dancer. He didn't like anyone outside moving in. He had rented a whole cabin up in Big Bear. I was intimidated, but not by much, because he was so far out of the realm of things I didn't really go there anyway."

One day Williams attended a gathering at Elvis's cabin. "I went to the bar for a glass of milk. He comes up right behind me and says, 'Are you getting a glass of milk?' I said yes. He said, 'That's what I'm having.' It was a corny, simple thing. We sat on the sofa, drinking our milk. When people were leaving, he said, 'I don't want you to get a bad reputation. I don't want anybody to say anything bad to you, so I'm gonna have Richard drive you down to your log cabin. You go with everybody else, because I want to make sure you don't have a bad reputation.'"

Williams said that Elvis told her that he didn't do drugs, and she didn't know anything about his alleged drug habit. "He was a really nice guy, and a complete gentleman. Gave me a lot of work."

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

That's true, he did drink milk-that's what he had and so did I when we had lunch in his trailer at MGM. Then later, he was in Big Bear and I went up there as he said he'd be working there and what days so I went up, following Diane the young woman who was an extra in that "troupe" of women in the film -the mountain maidens. And though I didn't get to stand up close to the "action that day" I did see him do some things and they were shooting stills and closeups and background. Elvis very quietly asked me my phone # at home that day-and he wrote it on his hand with a ballpoint pen. He had two or three guys trailing him about as he went over to speak to fans. I went past him on my way to my car and he was talking with a few women and kids, he motioned for me to wait up a minute. Several local people were watching the filming event but had to stay at a distance so he'd come over when he had the time and say a few words and signed some autographs. I was surprised to get a call at home from him much later-weeks actually...
as before I had only talked to him on Diane's phone.
As for doing drugs, Elvis did not "do drugs"-he did have prescriptions for sleeping pills and stimulants but they were used so he could sleep and then get up and do his job. To him that was certainly not "doing drugs" or "using"- in those days, the early 60's "using drugs" meant shooting up, hard stuff and taking narcotics etc: and sleeping pills were the most prescribed "drug" of all.
Practically any person who couldn't sleep had them and they were among the diet pills being prescribed, the most abused in the United States and elsewhere. And not considered to be harmful or even very addictive! When my daughter was born and I was having trouble sleeping (she was not a crier-I just couldn't sleep) my doctor gave me sleeping pills-I took one and practically was out cold for more than 24 hours! Never did it again.
Elvis was a lot bigger than me and he had a hard, draining lifestyle being a "movie star" with lots of demands upon him for many things-plus he had to look terrific for the cameras etc:... he was required to be thin, look good and given whatever it took so he would-his comments in the above post are true and innocent for him to say that in those days. wjh
wjh

Last edited by Wanda June Hill on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]