It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ann-Margret on Entertainment Tonight
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:03 am 
Sun Dial

I think it was ET! Anyway, they were interviewing her about her career, which is still ongoing. She has been appearing in Branson, MO, with Andy Williams, long after he had had her on his TV show in the early '60s. Of course, they mentioned her relationship with Elvis and as usual she had nothing to say. She said something to the effect of, "I won't talk about EP. It's just too personal." She did smile when she said it :) (she DID use his initials), and you could just tell she has warm memories of him. Wanda JH, did Elvis ever talk about AM to you? I assume he was also very private about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

The first time I saw her we had a black and white television and the sound was out- so I watched her in silence as she performed for the award show in Hollywood. I had a strong feeling for her and I thought I have to tell Elvis he needs to meet Ann Margrert! She's perfect for him.
Well I did a bit later on , saying I had seen a very lovely lady on the award show and had he watched, he had not. I said you should meet her-you and her would be a perfect couple. He said, What's her name?" I told him and he said, Really, you think she'd like me? I said I know she would and I know you would like her...you need to meet her. Anyway he didn't say anything else about it- I told him she was staring in a film- the one she did before she one with him-anyway, that was all we said.
about her anyway. Later on, I learned that when I said that, he had already met her, had done some studio work with her, and was well on the way to being smitten "by the Olsen kitten" as she was called by some.
He didn't say a word to me about her, or that- not a word! I didn't even know at that time he was making a film with her! Well, that told me that he was very interested in her, so much that it was private and something he wouldn't talk about. Ann never did either- not after she went overseas for a film and sort of implied or reporters took it that she and Elvis were engaged. Elvis was furious, his women didn't "spill the beans" etc: and there she was flashing a big diamond etc:... and he had not had time to get his "house in order" with his other girl who was waiting etc:... And too, Elvis didn't want her going to Europe and being so far as he didn't think he could go see her there even- the Col. said a trip out of the country was too dangerous and they didn't know anyone to protect him over there etc:...some stupid reason- lies of course- he was the one who couldn't go- not Elvis. Anyway, she went, he was fit to be tied, had a mess on his hands at home and so she became a "forbidden subject" for a while... Priscilla dyed her hair the same color as Ann's - but Elvis liked her hair dark so it changed back pretty fast. And then when Elvis got married, Ann married Roger Smith the very next weekend. And too, before he got married, he and Ann went motorcycle riding together late one night and "straightened out a few things". He never said more, but he admitted he liked her "alot" and she was a "dear friend" . When she fell and was hurt so bad rehearsing on stage for her show, I was told that she was asking for Elvis, Roger called him and Elvis went to see her-
And then when he went to Vegas she and Roger came to see Elvis' show and she was at the funeral as well. They were and remained dear friends. I think she was the first adult relationship he had ever had with a woman at the time he met her...the others were kid stuff- but with Ann it was true emotion and deep feelings of love and carying...but fate gave him another hand this time around... and he did the best he could with what he held...so did she... she's still with Roger, and they are happy together. She loves Elvis, says so and he is her dear friend whom she misses very much. She won't talk about him, he wouldn't talk about her- they were "soul mates" she says... I think they probably were...very much alike in many ways. She would never have felt "second best" to any one or anything related to his career or him... where as his "Cilla did feel that way... I think youth and being slow to grow up had a lot to do with how she felt though. Ann was already mature and wise as a woman, and she could handle Elvis in the way he needed to be handled... that I think took a special kind of woman- and not a little girl woman... that he was so prone to run across... but like he explained, they don't have "baggage" like kids, ex husbands, or boy friends butting in and they don't have schedules they have to follow...so they could drop their lives for a while and stay with him in his life. Then they always left... he got used to that...sometimes he was not ready to have them go- but he didn't hang on...he just moved on to another one who had some spare time to kill...as he put it. wjh

Post subject: Ann-Margret
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:40 am 
Sun Dial

Thanks for the detailed reply! :D I appreciate the fact that she keeps her thoughts and the relationship they had to herself. And like you said, the fact that HE didn't discuss her in detail tells you it was more than a casual fling. I think the public (including me :wink: ) knows all we need to know. I appreciate AM's discretion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I liked her in black and white and no sound! The girl had class and she had a wonderful presence that I knew he would respond to and feel comfortable around- and apparently they both did with each other. He said they went out and rode his motorbike at night some times, and got malts, went somewhere quiet and sat and talked and talked, that he enjoyed talking with her, she didn't think he was a weird -0 or "nothin'".
I guess he often felt that people, men and women found him to be "different" or "strange" and when he found one that didn't, he latched on... wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 pm 
:D You know Wanda if I had ever had the chance to have met and been around Elvis, and after I had gotten over the Shock of seeing him. I think I would have felt such a Calm feeling being around Elvis, like Sitting with an Old Friend that I hadn't seen in a Long While. Because he was so Down to Earth, and easy to talk to and I know he would have listened. :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Rainbow Light wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate the fact that she keeps her thoughts and the relationship they had to herself. And like you said, the fact that HE didn't discuss her in detail tells you it was more than a casual fling. I think the public (including me ) knows all we need to know. I appreciate AM's discretion.

Me also! :)

Thanking you, as always, Wanda for your wonderful insight and reply as regards AM!! :D :D 8)

AMEN to the above quote and to your thoughts as well dear Sue!! :wink: :D :D Sweet Wanda my many thanks to you as well for your very insightful and detailed reply. :wink: :D You can definitely tell, even in character during Viva Las Vegas with the way they looked at each other, that art was definitely imitating life and vice-versa!! :wink: :D :D It's so very easy to see how much they liked and cared for each other off-screen as well as on. :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:45 pm 
:lol: :lol: Me either RainBowLight, :wink: Elvis had enough Love for All of Us! :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]