It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dixie Locke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 pm 
Pharaoah

From a 2004 Memphis News Article:

Elvis Presley went to South Side High School's junior prom with Dixie Locke Emmons in 1955. Presley and Emmons dated after they met at her church, First Assembly of God. Before & after Elvis Memphis woman saw singer's transition from shy high-schooler to world-renowned performer

By Michael Lollar

January 4, 2004

Dixie Locke Emmons was dating Elvis Presley in 1954, but her favorite singers at the time were Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Peggy Lee.

"People ask, 'Didn't you like rock and roll,' but there was no rock and roll at the time," says Emmons, one of the few remaining friends who knew Elvis just before and just after he spun the world off its music axis.

Elvis would have been 69 this year. His Jan. 8 birthday begins a yearlong 50th anniversary celebration by Elvis Presley Enterprises of his first record, "That's All Right," which many consider the big bang of rock and roll. The week also is the kickoff for a yearlong Memphis and national celebration of the 50th anniversary of rock and roll, the one hometown commodity better known than barbecue. Elvis had been drawn to Emmons's church, First Assembly of God, because of his love of gospel music and the Blackwood Brothers quartet, which sang at the church. It was there that Presley and Emmons met.

"I thought he was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen. He was a very shy person, but when he started singing he put so much into putting the music across that he kind of lost himself. He threw himself into it completely," she says. Soon after they started dating in January 1954, he was driving a delivery truck and doing odd jobs for Crown Electric Co. and studying at night to be an electrician. Six months later, on July 5, 1954, Elvis recorded a speeded-up version of the Arthur Crudup blues tune "That's All Right." With guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black, the trio came up with a driving beat and a rollicking approach that turned the song into something feral and fresh.

Emmons had been out of town with her parents when disc jockey Dewey Phillips first aired the song on WHBQ Radio. She knew Elvis had been recording at Sun Records. "I knew what was going on, but neither he nor I had any idea of the magnitude of it. I got a telegram from him saying, 'They're playing my records on the radio.' He was ecstatic over it. It was almost like disbelief that the disc jockeys would even play it," says Emmons, 65, now executive secretary of the church.

Emmons says she dated Elvis for about two more years during which he played small concerts and clubs. "I don't think there was a whole lot of money involved in it. In the first weeks and months it was more like hometown boy makes good. "He was still just totally innocent and spontaneous. There wasn't a proud or conceited bone in his body."

Elvis attended the junior and senior proms with Dixie Locke Emmons in 1954 and 1955 at South Side High School. Afterward, they slowly drifted apart. "It was kind of a mutual thing. His career was going in one direction, and I didn't feel that I could be a part of it. His career kind of consumed him there, and there wasn't much time for anything else."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:04 pm 
I have been ready Gladys and Elvis the Book, and it told about when Dixie and Elvis went together. Elvis was Very, Very Hurt! when Dixie got Married, and I think Elvis was Hurt even more when Dixie asked Gladys to tell Elvis, about her Marrage. I sometimes wonder how things in Elvis' life would have been if Elvis and Dixie had gotten Married?

Probably would have been like he said, "sitting around drinking beer, watching football, and keeping his wife knocked up..." something like that, but that's not his direct quotes... I recall he said, "some one else would have been doin' this, not me." Then he wondered what he would/could have found that would have been better - he loved his life!
wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

FairyTale, I don't know how my post got on yours! Sorry to cut in on it that way- it's this crazy computer...has a mind of it's own I guess. I got a new area to write, but didn't tiitle it- maybe that's why??? weird! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:46 pm 
:lol: :lol: I think it could have been Crazy E! Leting us know he is here with us! instead of your computer, :wink: You don't have to Apologise for anything Wanda. I wonder if Elvis wouldn't have been so Hurt if Dixie would have sat Elvis down and told him herself?

Last edited by FairyTale on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]