It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Apple!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

During his senior year at L.C. Humes High School in 1953, Elvis' history teacher was Mildred Scrivener. She was also his homeroom teacher. One day, Elvis was caught eating an apple in her class. This was unusual because the school had a strict rule of no eating outside the cafeteria. Mrs. Scrivener did not reprimand Elvis for eating in class, nor did she stop him from finishing the apple. She knew that he came from a very poor family, and surmised that he did not have any money to buy lunch in the cafeteria. She could not force herself to stop him from eating, even though she knew she was allowing him to break the rules. The following day, Mrs. Scrivener found a bright red apple sitting on her desk. She knew right away that it was Elvis' way of thanking her.

Post subject: Re: The Apple!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:53 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: :love:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

So sweet.....thanks for posting, Rose-Lyn!!!

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:D :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, thanks for posting this little story- it is so nice knowing Elvis had a teacher who understood and cared for him. He said she let him sleep in class because she knew he worked nights for a while. He was under age, but got a job by lying about it, working in a munitions factory making bullets etc: he packaged them and learned to "tool" (whatever that meant) some also. But they found out his age and so he had to quit- he said it paid better than anything he'd ever done and that was why he lied to get the job. His mom didn't want him working long hours at night, wanted him to graduate and knew he didn't have the stamina to do both and not sleep etc:, so she "ratted him out" as they'd say today. And he was fired...he wasn't angry when he spoke of it, but he said he was "kind of mad she did that" because they needed the money and it paid better than anything he could find. He said she took a job in a sewing factory so he could keep up in school and it "liked to broke his heart" seeing her working so hard but he went to school since she was so determined that he could be "somebody" if he just graduated. He was the first male in his family to do so... His mom and didn't didn't finish 4th grade -his mom might have got to the 5th but didn't finish as she was working in the fields with her family and then she married Vernon, who was "a catch" as his family was higher up the money ladder- and yet he was dirt poor too. The Smith family must have really been scratching for everything they could get back then. Times were tough. Poor boy, Elvis just became that much more determined to do something and better his parents lives. And did he ever. wjh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:57 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thank you for sharing about our Elvis, Wanda! :D :D :hello:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:49 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

You know it really makes me sad when People have the Thoughts, and Words they have About Elvis, and I know he heard a Few of these Things that People said about him. But people think that since someone is Famous and all that Elvis was, he just couldn't be another type of Person. These same people even knew about how Elvis grew up, but they just take all of this for Granted to just like Elvis was taken for Granted, but I don't really think they know or what to know it all. :?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]