It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Contract!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

As Told By..... SHAUN NIELSEN -
The first time I took the whole group (the group that was to become "Voice") to see Elvis, he flew us to Las Vegas. Tom Jones was having trouble with his backup singers, and we were gonna be like a "gift" from Elvis to Tom. We were put up in a nice hotel at Elvis' expense, and then he brought us up to his room to sing for Tom that night. This had to cost him a lot of money. We got up to sing, and I remember that right in front of us were Tom Jones, Bobbie Gentry, and Elvis Presley! I was intimidated, to say the least. Anyway, Tom told Elvis that he had just signed a contract with The Blossoms, and if he got rid of them he'd probably be sued, so he didn't feel like he could use us. Afterwards, Elvis called us back up to his suite, and we sat there on the floor in the bedroom for a long time, just chatting. He said, "Well, I know you're probably disappointed, so I've drawn up this little contract." It was on a sheet of toilet tissue! The opening line said, "For the sum of one hundred thousand dollars..."we would travel and sing and work with him and write songs for his music publishing companies. He said, "Would you boys be interested in that?" As soon as we revived ourselves, we said, "Sure! We'd love to do that". That was in 1973. That same hundred thousand dollars would be equal to two hundred fifty to three hundred thousand dollars today. After he signed the "contract" with us, Elvis went to the phone and called his dad. He said, "Daddy, I just want you to know I've finally got my own group". Those were his words. We were basically just to travel and sing with him when he felt like it. Sometimes he'd send a plane for us in Nashville, just to take us to Memphis to go to the movies! Then sometimes after the movies we'd go back to Graceland and sing all night. That basically was our job. We also opened his show at the Las Vegas Hilton for two or three years.

Post subject: Re: The Contract!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

What a perfect example of Elvis' giving, understanding and hopeful nature! And the use of what was "handy" to draw up his contract on...well, soooo vry Elvis! Who wrote on torn off scraps of paper bag, once writing a personal check on such and his bank honored it! And then using a scrap of paper torn from another to write down the TCB Oath...and on a napkin from a fast food (probably a hambuger joint, maybe Tommy's chili burgers ?) to list things he wanted to improve in himself, and the back of already used paper to make lists, or margins to make notes to remind himself of other things and even his hand if he didn't have paper handy! He seldom had anything handy to write on, but he found a way believe me! So Elvis, so sweetly Elvis. Thanks for posting this lovely "tidbit" from Shaun N. wjh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:22 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Who Ever Imagine You Letting some one Look at a Autograph from Elvis on a Torn Paper Bag, or a Piece of Toilet Paper? But To Me it would be even More Price Less, and I think he did this very Thing so Much growing up when he didn't have anything probably not even a Pencil that he never got use to using Regular Paper! Am I Right Wanda? :hug:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:16 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
So Elvis, so sweetly Elvis. Thanks for posting this lovely "tidbit" from Shaun N.
:hello: I agree, dear Wanda!!! GREAT!

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:27 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

[quote ]
Quote:
So Elvis, so sweetly Elvis. Thanks for posting this lovely "tidbit" from Shaun N.
I agree, dear Wanda!!! GREAT!

[/quote]

:D :D :hello: :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]