It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis director John Rich dies at 86:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:41 pm 
Flame

Elvis director John Rich dies at 86: John Rich who directed Elvis in both Roustabout and Easy Come Easy Go has died aged 86 on January 29 last month. He is most famous for his acclaimed TV work on 'The Dick Van Dyke Show', the 'Mary Tyler Moore show', 'All in the Family', 'Gunsmoke,' 'The Twilight Zone' and 'MacGyver.'

In 1973, producer Rich shared an Emmy with executive producer Lear when "All in the Family" won the award for outstanding comedy series.

It was during the '60s that he also directed five feature films including "Roustabout" (right: John Rich, Elvis with Barbara Stanwyck) and "Easy Come, Easy Go," both starring Elvis Presley.

He received the Robert B. Aldrich Award for Extraordinary Service to the guild in 1993 and the DGA Honorary Life Member Award in 2003.
While he talked little about his movies with Elvis, Joe Krien of EER interviewed him back in 2007.

John Rich - When we staged the fight in ‘Roustabout’, Elvis came over to me and said. "Mr. Rich can I do my own stunt?" I laughed I said no of course you can't. He said, "Why not?" "What do you mean? Why do you think we have stunt people? If something happens to you, the picture shuts down".
"But I'm a black belt in karate, I know all about this".
Oh, he pleaded and pleaded! Finally he said I really want to do this Mr. Rich". So I had a lot of witness around. He said, I will take full responsibility. Against my better judgment because he really was anxious to do this. I said well ok.
So they did the fight and he gets clipped in the head. He opened up a big cut in his forehead we shut down and they took him to the hospital.
Thank God Hal Wallis' associate producer was on the set when he heard Elvis taking responsibility. Because I would have been out on my rear end. Elvis took one day off, they bandaged him up, and Hal Wallis thought we would have to shut down.
However in the beginning of the film Elvis has a wreck with his motor cycle. So we put a large bandage (on Elvis), we tried to minimize it with make up and we continued to shoot. He wore it for quite awhile in the movie. (see picture above with Elvis wearing the plaster)
- I did a thing at the end of Elvis' contract with Hal Wallis, that I can only tell you was a throw-away. Because it was called "Easy Come, Easy Go". Because the contract was at an end, Hal wanted to spend no money on it. It was done with very little music which drove me crazy. By that time what was selling was his music so why are we cutting out all the songs? Elvis played a navy diver. It was corny but so what. His plot was the same in all his films. But he made them come alive. Sure it could have been saved. He looked good.

Elvis could have been a better actor, I think he came up very high for Roustabout. I would tease him into being better. (But..) By the time we got to "Easy Come Easy Go" Elvis was annoyed at Wallis.

(Interview excerpts Thanks to Joe Krein of EER/Elvis2001 – click here)
(News, Source;JoeKrein/ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Elvis director John Rich dies at 86:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for posting this Liliane, very interesting and also someone who understood Elvis for the man he was as well as for his acting skills etc... I know Elvis wanted to do his stunts himself, and was very disturbed that he was not
allowed to do much... He was good at the fight scenes in Live A Little, Love A Little and yes, got a small wound from that too. Battle scars, he'd like that.

Also.... :bday: :bday: :bouncy: :love: :hug: FROM US'NS
out here! LOVE AND BLESSINGS KID!

wjh

Post subject: Re: Elvis director John Rich dies at 86:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Now I thought Elvis only got Cut on the Cheek in Roustabout when he ran through the Fence on his Motorcycle, like he did in Live a Little. But I didn't know he hurt his Forehead, I wonder if that didn't make him have those Bad Headaches? My Lord did he also get hurt in some of the others to, you could always tell it was Elvis really in the Fight Scenes. :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]