It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elvis’ Longtime Friend Bill Morris
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:09 pm 
Flame

Elvis’ Longtime Friend Bill Morris featured in Memphis Magazine: Bill Morris, former Shelby County Sheriff, mayor, and close friend of Elvis is featured in the April issue of Memphis Magazine. Bill Morris talks of his life in the article "Taking Care of Business: The Bill Morris Scrapbook."

Memphis Magazine writer John Branston writes about Morris's childhood, friendship with Elvis, career, and years spent in politics. Morris shares photos from his personal collection including several of his time spent with Elvis.

Bill Morris describes the fun and playful side of the man who brought rock 'n' roll to the forefront.

"Elvis was youthful and playful. We would shoot roman candles at each other and use garbage can lids to defend ourselves," said Morris.
Morris also describes Elvis as a giving man who often spent his fame and fortune helping others in Memphis and across the world.

"When he made his first money, he gave $50,000 to the city to distribute to charity. He wrote checks to St. Jude early on and lot of them. I asked that the trauma center at The Med be named in his honor, because I thought it reflected another side of Elvis beyond his talents as a performer."

One picture features Bill Morris and Elvis' entourage at Graceland after receiving honorary deputy badges. Another photo is of Elvis, Priscilla, and Bill at the Jaycees Awards where Morris sponsored Elvis for the "Ten Outstanding Young Men" award given by the United States Junior Chamber of Commerce - the only award Elvis ever accepted in person.

After the awards show, as a token of their friendship, Elvis gave Bill and his wife, Ann, a "Taking Care of Business" and "Tender Love and Care" necklace. Bill Morris still wears the necklace to this day.

Bill Morris has been at the center of Memphis history for over 40 years and played a pivotal role in Memphis politics and law enforcement.

(News, Source;EPE)

Post subject: Re: Elvis’ Longtime Friend Bill Morris
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this Liliane, so many of the people who knew him are coming forth with their memories, it's wonderful! People had/have such a different view coming from many things told and written about Elvis; I tend to believe that as he said often, "Time changes things, more information, better understanding and also, more new people who have eh..inquiring minds (he snickered at the metaphor adjective he used) will figure it all out and that changes things, thank God!" Elvis loved words, reading about them, studying the dictionary and then
tossing them into conversations. One of the things that surprised me the most
about him was how intelligently he viewed the world, his situation and his easy
(it seemed) way of dealing with it all. The fact that he loved to read and learn
was a surprise in it's self, but his putting to use in daily life what he learned was
even more surprising. Considering who he WAS publicly and what he had attained
career wise as a result, well, one would think as I did until getting to know him, that he would have been a self centered, selfish and out to get whatever anyway he could kind of guy. In my opinion, based on what I learned over the years of being on the fringes of his life,
he was NOT like those things, instead he was kind, generous to a fault, giving of himself and his time without complaining, often to the point of wearing himself out and all the while, humble, grateful and always showing respect for those he met, worked with and came in contact with. He truly did practice
what he "preached".
wjh

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: This is Nice that Bill Said about Elvis, and That it shows just How DOWN to Earth Elvis was. :love:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Here is the link to an interview made to another Elvis friend from the earlier years in Tupelo, Sam Bell. The souce is Elvis Australia.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/video_i ... bell.shtml

One has to smile when "picturing" the scenes Sam Bell describes so well... Imagine the two handsome little men, going around...! :P

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Amanda This is so Great to Hear about Elvis when he was a Child from his Friends from Tupelo,Thank You for Sharing this. :love:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]