It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Paul Anka spills on Elvis in his new book
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 pm 
Flame

Paul Anka spills on Elvis in his new book: Ottawa-born Paul Anka, who became a teen singing sensation in the late 1950s with “Diana” and “Put Your Head on My Shoulder,” rose to stardom when the Rat Pack ruled and Vegas was the epicentre of everything cool. In his autobiography My Way out Tuesday, Anka is a keen observer of all the people he has met, loved and sang with along his way. In the book he talks about Michael Jackson, Sammy Davis Jr., Annette Funicello (who he dated), Frank Sinatra, John F. Kennedy and of course, the main selling point Elvis Presley. Not all his stories are positive as he talks of the culture of kinky sex drinks and drugs.

On Elvis Presley he includes..
“My Way” meant so much to Elvis as a song, he was going to do it. And I’d say, “Elvis, it’s not really your kind of song.” And he’d say, “Nooo, Paulie, but those words, they mean so much to me. Boy, I want to do that song one day.” It was one of the last songs he recorded. In the end, that song and those words had resonance for him but not in the way I intended. Basically, given Elvis’ sad state at the end, it was in the opposite sense that the words had had for Sinatra. There was nothing defiant or heroic about Elvis at that point.

It was the same way Elvis lived his life — he destroyed himself. Just went too far. He became another statistic. Life is about construction and destruction. It’s all in that balance, everything we see when we can look far enough. When you lose track of that, you self-destruct. And that’s what happened to my talented friend.

I was in Vegas, got up, turned on the news. Elvis Presley was gone. I cried that day. Elvis was a cool guy, a nice man, but was too young to go. Really blew it.

I got to know Elvis pretty extensively when he first started coming to Vegas. He would come over to Caesars Palace, see the show, come over and visit, sit backstage. Through that whole evolution, from when he hit town to when things started going bad for him, and where he started losing control, I would sit with him and just try to tell him, “Man, you’ve got to get it together, you can’t live this twilight half-life. Get a hold of this situation or it’s going to pull you under.” But he couldn’t — would usually only see me in his suite.
His social terror was extreme. I’d say, “Elvis why don’t we just go out to dinner, go for a walk?” “Oh, no!” He was terrified of that. You’d go over to his hotel — we both worked the Hilton — and he’d have aluminum foil on the windows; Elvis never wanted to see the daylight. He’d go up to Vail, Colo., and I’d be up there with my family skiing — in the daylight. Elvis wouldn’t get up until the sun went down, and only then would he go up on the mountain with the floodlights turned on, to snowmobile. He was that kind of creature. Elvis was a nice guy, but so locked in that prison of celebrity, of who he was, and his image, the person inside shrivelled up. Sometimes you sat and talked to him and it was as if he were already gone. You couldn’t save him.

To read more of the book's publicity blurb - 'Frank Sinatra and John F. Kennedy' "JFK, of course, loved the ladies and the situation played right into the whole sexual circus. I saw the reality: Kennedy and the hookers, the women who hung around Frank, and the mob. It was a shop window. The media at that time was controlled, so they wouldn’t write about it." and on Sammy Davis Jr. "Sammy’s kinky sex habits got kinkier" etc etc CLICK HERE.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mu ... y_way.html

(News, Source;ElvisInfoNet)

Post subject: Re: Paul Anka spills on Elvis in his new book
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Oh my, just one more person trying to make a buck off his "Elvis stories". It's too bad they think they have to tell stuff on other entertainers whom
maybe they saw now and then, etc and of course, it HAS to be the "junk
they recall". I never liked Paul Anka and now I know why...it wasn't just
his "plastic song style" after all. Just keep in mind, Elvis knocked him off the charts a lot of the time... Paul Anka walked through the Hilton and NO ONE even noticed it was him until he created a scene because he wanted a car and the guy was a little late getting it there. Heck, we walked right past him and didn't notice until he raised his voice-then we just wondered who the clod was causing a "scene". A cigarette girl told us it was Paul Anka... We kept walking.
They must live in a bubble and see with only their own life vision because the times he speaks of Elvis had good reason
not to try to get around outside much, for foiling his windows so he could
pretend it was night and sleep...After all, he DID work after the sun set! And
the fact he didn't want to go out in public wasn't fear for himself...he feared the crowds he could draw without even trying and the number of guards he'd have to have and then those who might get knocked down and hurt trying to
get to him! After all, it is A KNOWN FACT that Elvis was the TOP drawing
performer EVER IN LAS VEGAS and still claims the title. Too bad Pauly boy
couldn't draw a crowd big enough for the Hilton show room...very few could.
They would close off half of it so it would "look full" from the stage...That is a fact. Elvis constantly filled it, EVERY single time he played there, young and feisty, older and more sedate and sick to the point of being near death...he still filled the place! I know...we were there quite often every time he played over there...it was practically impossible to get a reservation and sometimes impossible if one didn't plan way ahead! Elvis went to Vegas quite often to see other acts, he wasn't the recluse most believed; he just went when he thought he could get away with it and he
usually did because he wasn't trying to "make a scene to get noticed"...

So sell your flaky book dude, dirt and sludge seems to be the favorites these days. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time...even if it was free.
Thanks for posting this, gives me a chance to "sound off" (as if I needed one- ha.)
wjh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm 
Sun Dial

:hello: I know Now Why I Never liked Paul Anka, and Now After reading The Dirt He has The Nerve to say about Elvis. He is Just Another Jealous Spiteful Has Been, That wasn't that Popular in his Prime and Even More Jealous Now Then Ever because Elvis After being Gone Over 30 years is Still More Popular then Paul Anka Could Ever Be! :x

Without you I am nothing an could never be so bold. The times we've shared, the laughter and the tears. Priceless memories, treasures all. How could I ever fail? With you I don't fear that at all. Elvis Presley!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 pm 
Flame

I like your replay Wanda, I think in the same way. I understand that Paul Anka biography he want to sell it and to had dirt with other artists of his time will sell more. He didn't know about Elvis illness and say that of his friend because he didn't him very well.

Elvis was the bigger star that Las Vegas never had. He sell more ticket fastest that they put it on sale. Everyone want to see and Elvis concert because that was en event in itself. Elvis put a show for his fans, and his fans love him in return. Even if he had a list of songs made the fans ask him to do songs not included in his show.

I don't think that Elvis was recluce. I try very hard to live a normal life, but sometime it's impossible to do it. He live half of the time, traveling to city to city to give his concerts includiing Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe, to records songs, and spend time at Graceland.

And Elvis transform Las Vegas the city and he put his inprint over it, even 35 years after his death, he always there in spirit because he give so much of himself to his fans and to the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 am 
Flame

Like Wanda said - just another person taking advantage of Elvis and his name to sell their own books. Are there not able just write about their own life? How pathetic. :roll:

All this people had no idea about Elvis's life and how limited it was to a "normal life" - just for his fame. Certainly Paul Anka was envious of Elvis fame and wished to have the same stardom. But Elvis was a unreachable star.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]