It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:35 pm 
I THINK THAT IS VERY, VERY DIRTY AND LOW DOWN. PARKER KNEW THAT ELVIS DEEP DOWN WAS FED UP WITH ALOT THAT PARKER WOULDN'T LET ELVIS DO AS FAR AS HIS CAREER WENT, SO THAT IS WHY PARKER HAD SO MANY THAT WERE AROUND ELVIS IN HIS HIP POCKET TO KEEP THESE PEOPLE AWAY THAT COULD OF LET ELVIS EXPLORE MORE THINGS TO DO, WITH HIS CAREER. :x BARB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:12 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I just don't understand why Elvis didn't insist on communicating with Steve again, inspite of the Colonel's selfish interests. The '68 Special was a smash & who knows what else the two of them (Elvis & Steve) could have cooked up? Parker I think felt threatened by Steve who encouraged Elvis to explore his creativity. Too much time with Steve and Elvis might come to understand he did not need Parker's kind of control over his life. It's hard for me to understand why Elvis didn't stand up to Tom, especially as he got older.

It's like Parker was holding something over his head. Just speculating, but I wonder if Parker knew of Vernon's prison record & threatened to expose it if Elvis didn't tow the line. Don't know, of course, but just trying to make sense of Parker's control & Elvis' inability to break free from the noose, and this even before Parker's gambling debts came into play.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:12 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I read too that Parker kept something in the closet about the past. Heard some wild guessings ; I am not going to say what I read once and I really choose not to believe it either.

But I wonder why Elvis never stood up to him, Being Elvis Presley he didn't need Parker. I'm sure he would have find a more honnest manager and someone he really felt more happy with.

Why Elvis, why...

:?: :?: :?:

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:31 pm 
YES THAT SPECIAL WAS SOMETHING ELSE, I KNOW YOU HAD TO BE BLIND AS A BAT NOT TO SEE JUST HOW NERVEOUS ELVIS WAS. BEING AWAY FROM A LIVE AUDIENCE THOSE MANY YEARS, BUT HE PULLED IT OFF LIKE ONLY ELVIS COULD. HE WAS TRULY FATASIC AND AWESOME WHEWW!! I'M ALSO SO THANKSFUL FOR ONCE PARKER KEPT HIS BIG NOSE OUT OF IT, TO! BARB!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:44 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
I'M ALSO SO THANKSFUL FOR ONCE PARKER KEPT HIS BIG NOSE OUT OF IT, TO! BARB!!

It's my understanding that Parker tried his best to get the Special done his way -- all Christmas songs if I recall. But he was out done. I bet that just put a bee in his cap & made him furious. He was always used to having things done his way. So Parker must have said something to Elvis to make sure he never did business again with Steve, even though one can tell Elvis had no animosity toward Steve.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:13 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I think that Elvis and Col. Parker were together because of karmic reasons.
They just had to come together in this life-time. For Elvis there were many advantages through Parker, but also many bad things came to pass.

The same with Priscilla. It was a scene in the cosmic movie they had to play together.
Maia once quoted Elvis saying about Pricilla: "I owe her" (or something like that).
We all create our onw destiny by our own actions and thoughts ("You reap what you sow").

:? :cry: :)

Christine

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject: Steve and the "word"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:09 am 
Site Admin

If I think anything about why Steve and Elvis didn't work together it is that yes, the word was out that Elvis was not to speak with or see Steve again...it would be bad for "the Col.'s reputation". And that if Steve tried to call or reach Elvis, he would be told something else, and Elvis would NEVER know he'd tried...and if Elvis wanted to call him, they'd make sure his call never got done. It was that way all of Elvis' career-no one got to be around long if they said or did anything to make Elvis think he could do something without the Col.'s two cents. And Elvis having no other way of knowing differently, believed what he was told-up until the last couple of years-then he was wising up but he wasn't well enough to fight them all. Plus he was being "kept" in a hazy condition most of the time...The public doesn't have a clue really as to just how manipulated and cocooned Elvis Presley's life was after l972-he was like a pet being kept in a confinement and let out once in a while to stretch his legs and get a breath of fresh air. I know other entertainers have even tried to see him-song wiriters who wanted to get songs to him and they were not able to do it. If one did get a tape or demo to one of the guys like as not Elvis would NEVER see it. Unless it was to the Col's advantage which was not likely. Elvis had the hardest time finding good material and he was getting bored with singing or trying to find any-you notice he didn't record much of anything those last two years-all we have is one album that wasn't released as he wanted to to be-that came out after his death. The rest are outtakes, concerts, etc:. Elvis was looking for material...Some of the last songs he got hold of were written by Tony Joe White who knew Felton Jarvis and when Elvis asked about getting with Tony to see if he had some new songs because Polk Salad Annie was such a hit for both men, Jarvis got Tony to bring some songs over-but Tony didn't get to see Elvis at first-and when he did he was shocked at how isolated and out of touch with the world and things in music he was. Elvis recorded some of those songs, one being For Old Times Sake and that was written with Elvis in mind by Tony Joe.
It was one of the best Pris/Elvis songs that Elvis did and
Elvis liked it though he had already done the one used in On Tour...Tony's song touched his heart, plucked a few strings he didn't know were still intact, Elvis said. In case any one might be interested, Tony Joe has websites where you can get his CDs -he has several good ones and it's great music to "clean the house and do chores" while listening-it's got that rhythm and beat to get it done. Just go to his name and they pop up. The information about Tony's observation of Elvis when last he saw him, was in an interview on one of the sites. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:39 pm 
THANKS SUE SO MUCH FOR SAYING WHAT I WANTED TO SAY AND FEEL, THE REASON I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING IS BECAUSE I'M REALLY TRING TO DO AS " I WAS TOLD" "TO KEEP MY ANGER AT THE DOOR" AND FORGIVE. SO THANK YOU SO MUCH! BARB!

Post subject: '68 Special DVD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:18 am 
Sun Dial

If you don't have the complete set of the '68 Special with all the material taped for the show, outtakes and all, you don't know what you're missing! Someone described it as "the mother lode" for Elvis fans, and he was right! You can tell how hard he worked to get everything just perfect, and the effort paid off. :wink:

Post subject: '68 Special
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 pm 
Sun Dial

If you have the 3-disc set, I don't know of any more. Assuming it's the same as mine. I just loved the chatter during the live performances, the little hints of how scared and nervous he really was ("Gotta do this sooner or later, so I might as well get it over with."; the shaking hand as he reached for the microphone; etc.). Someone during a pause said, "Tell us about your daughter, Elvis." His response: "She's little." I loved the part with the blonde where Binder put on the Phyllis Diller medley while they flirted for the camera. He was also very self-deprecating, like once he started a bit of Trouble and forgot to get in front of the microphone. Kind of laughed at himself and said, "Dummy!" And being from the South (Birmingham, Alabama), I love it when he forgets to drop the southern accent and says "Chrimas." "That's southern for Christmas." And the whole bit with the piece of tissue that stuck to his face when he was patting the sweat off. Charlie Hodge saw it, stopped him, gently removed the tissue and handed it to a woman who put it in her purse. Elvis just shook hia head, smiled, and said, "Never ceases to amaze me, baby!" And I'm sure it never did.

I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. I'm sure it's the same thing you have. But for anyone who hasn't seen it all, it is very insightful, and he is precious, delightful, and charming. You could really sense him relax as the live performances went on, and I believe he was genuinely touched and surprised that people still adored him so.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next