It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Letters to Wanda about Elvis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

From Blue Star Love manuscript...

Quote:
The following quotations are from letters written to Wanda June Hill (after having read her books: ‘We Remember, Elvis’ and ‘Elvis - Face to Face’) by several different women who knew him at different periods in the 1960's and 1970's:

Letter 1} “I am married, I stayed a virgin until I found Eddie (her husband) because Elvis told me I should. I am so glad too, because I love Eddie as much as I love Elvis...He (Elvis) told his guys to keep their hands off me and that he would personally kill them if he found out they’d messed around with me. They never did it in front of him, but they tried behind his back...Elvis treated me like a lady, like his little sister whom he protected and cared for. I’ll never forget him or his sweet, gentle ways.”

Letter 2} (Comparing another girl’s experience with Elvis to hers) “...he wasn’t dirty-mouthed or said cuss words or used four-letter words at all and said poems and sweet things...and he was like a cat, she said, he about purred and he was so beautiful, all his skin and everything, just like I thought, too, and that he gave her an electrical charge too. He was so different, and not real, like men are, you know. Elvis was special and like a real good man, like women everywhere want men to be and they aren’t.”

Letter 3} “And he (Elvis) went on to explain that the man was his friend and that sometimes friends had to go one step further to help each other. He said something I have remembered. When I commented that maybe he had to draw the line somewhere he said, ‘Does your friendship have limitations?’ I said ‘yes, sometimes.’ He looked at me a moment, smiled and said, ‘My friendship doesn’t - I can’t live that way. Maybe if I could things would be easier at times, but I’d feel that I was a failure somehow. I guess,’ he said, ‘I feel the need to care for others even when it sometimes hurts.’ And he patted my shoulder and told me not everyone could or was meant to carry the world on their backs - some of us are like the ducks - it runs off - others are more like the Earth soaking it up, then flowering as spring blossoms, and then there were his type - sponges who soak it up, hold it in and carry the weight for those who can’t. I never forgot that little speech, it was so sincerely spoken, love shone from his eyes and each word was placed before me as if on a tray. How did he know I carried a load of guilt because I ‘ran out’ on a friend who had burdened me with so many troubles until I couldn’t take it? He didn’t know - yet he did, and that talk eased my guilt because I know now, I’m a duck!”

Letter 4} “I know there are many persons who could write such things (as Wanda has written on Elvis) if they would or if they knew how. So many people had personal experiences with this man said to be a ‘recluse’ and ‘have no friends’ yet he met so many, cared about them and related with them.

“I was fortunate enough to be among those people - I had my Elvis experience in 1971, shortly after Elvis’ wife left, apparently for the first time. Elvis was in Las Vegas and he was devastated....I never had a more interesting evening with a real man. Elvis was divine, kind, intelligent and he listened! He asked questions and he payed attention to me when I answered. He never took liberties, he told me that his wife and daughter were ‘at home’ and that he missed them so much. He said that it was his fault that they weren’t getting along, he just couldn’t handle the constant pressure of career and home life and that it wasn’t really anyone’s fault - just the way things were....I was terrible, I do admit to that. I wanted him to lose control, wanted to take him to bed and wipe his pain away, make him happy.

“It was awful, he sat there, tears filling his blue-blue eyes, one trickled down his cheek, running all the way to his jaw bone and I wiped it off. His lip trembled but he said, ‘I don’t know what I’m going to do. I-I need love, warmth and I’m not the kind of human being who can do without those things. You are so beautiful, warm and loving, it makes me know how much I miss those things. Please understand, I’m not turning you down for any reason other than I just feel I can’t do this to my family. Maybe we can make it right soon - I pray for that. I need help with this, I can’t go on alone.’ Those were his exact words, I wrote them down as soon as I was out of his sight. I am an ordinary woman, Elvis could have done anything he wanted, I welcomed his attentions, but he sat there, holding in his heartache and watched television, while I sat there....wishing for a way to reach him, to help him.

“I married four years after his (Elvis’) death. My husband died two years later of cancer of the colon. He looked exactly like Elvis did before he died, bloated, thin of limb and puffy of face with eyes deadened by pain, hopelessness and dejection. When I saw pictures of Ray (her husband) taken four months before he died, I saw all the same things in those (pictures) of Elvis taken weeks before his death. I knew beyond a doubt what killed him.”

Letter 5} “I stayed for 5 weeks, day and night, every minute of each day and never left him alone....All of his medication was at the direction of two doctors....It was carefully monitored at the time and Elvis did have a bad stomach, he suffered from constipation all of the time due to a blocked colon...Sometimes he bent double in pain, his face would go white, then grey and he would lie on the bed or floor biting his lips until it passed. He took pain killers for those bouts, and sometimes they, with the sleeping pills, would just make him pass out wherever he was. I was always scared for him at those times, for his life, but no one else worried. They merely picked him up and put him to bed to ‘sleep it off’. I was told it was not my business and to butt out. I heard he had cancer, I don’t doubt that he did - he complained that his bones hurt, ached, and at night he would sometimes moan in his sleep and rub his legs as if they hurt him.

“I’ve so many fond memories, I learned so much from him....I loved teasing him, to get him to really laugh, to break up and giggle. He was so charming, sweet, and always had something adorable and nice to say - never spiteful and mean, not to me anyway. He was grateful for my help, for my concern, and he often said thank you when he didn’t have to....Even when he felt so tough, couldn’t keep food down and was in pain, he would be sweet and kind to me.

“The thing I remember most of Elvis is his sense of humor and understanding of when to laugh and when to be serious. He had it well in hand, and could laugh at himself. That knowledge was a saving grace for him, he could laugh at his trials and tribulations and it kept him strong enough to face life. He was so kind, so patient with everyone, great and small, it didn’t matter to him. Each was deserving of his time and attention, that made him a great man, a loving man.”

Letter 6} “Elvis was a wonderful, kind man, a tender man, good-hearted and innocent of evil thought or deed. To say he was mis-understood is trite, but there are no words to explain just how confused people appear to be about him, even those who ought to know him, who lived in his presence. I found him delightful, funny, sweet and passionate about many things. To say he was a great man is also trite - he was better than great, he was a lover and a loving man.”

Letter 7} “I knew Elvis for 22 years. watched him grow into a man, become a super entertainer, husband and father. He developed from a boy into a thoughtful and loving young man during those years, and I watched him mature into a respectful, dedicated husband and daddy. The last time I saw him he had become a divorced, heartbroken man who was resentful of the time his newly won-back fame took from his private life. He talked for some while about this sad turn of events and asked if I thought other people went through the same type thing in other kinds of demanding jobs. I told him in many ways they did, he wasn’t an unusual case. That appeared to relieve his mind somewhat and he began to smile a little and to speak of happier things. It was heartrending to see the anguish in his eyes, the strain had sharpened his features and he was no longer the sad-eyed dreamer I had come to love and cherish.”

Letter 8} “I’ll always remember Elvis’ smile, the gentle way he treated me and his wonderful laugh. He was such a special friend and I sure did love him. I wished so many times that my mother had been able to meet him but she died just before he stopped by the first time (to her father’s store). Sometimes I think he that he was sent to my dad and me, sort of to help us over the loss of momma. Elvis told me how it hurt when his mother died and he talked to my dad some about that too - the very first time he came by. He just started to talk about his mother - and he had no way of knowing we had just lost momma a week earlier. It helped my dad talk about it and it sure helped me to meet Elvis and to look forward to seeing him now and then. It gave me a reason to live I guess. I told him that the last time I saw him - in Vegas. He leaned down and kissed me and whispered, ‘Love never dies - be it mine or yours or a loved one’s devotion to another. I love you little Mollydolly,’ which is what he called me from the first time he saw me and was introduced. ‘My Mollydolly’‘ he would say, ‘come here and let me look at you. Man, you’re a real doll!’ It was pretty confidence building let me tell you! And he’d laugh and wink, then tell my dad he’d better keep an eye on me!”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:30 pm 
It is so good to read something positive about Elvis! Last week one of the daily tabloids here ran a 5-part special on Elvis. I was looking forward to reading it but was heartbroken to see that it was the same old recycled trash that has appeared before... "Elvis was fat... Elvis wore a nappy" etc. Why oh why can't they write something positive for once? Elvis was by no means perfect. Who is? ... but after all these years, I think it's about time they focused on the good things for a change. I guess that wouldn't sell as many papers though!

Thank you Maia/Wanda, for posting these letters and sharing "the real" Elvis with us!

Post subject: :etter from Madeline McMurphy (Smith)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

(I don't think this one was ever posted-if anyone recalls it, let me know. This lady had one of the first books and a friend of hers found me using his computer-she wrote me at my p. o. box- 5/3/06)
[quote]
I have been a fan of Elvis Presley since I met him in So. Carolina in 1956 as he was trying to buy something to eat from a cafe that had just closed for the night. He was on the road with two other young men in tow and they were hungry. Elvis begged me to open up, the back door or something, saying we wouldn't have to cook anything, they'd eat whatever we had "cold"! I told them I couldn't let them in, I might lose my job and his friends said, "Come on El, get back in the car, let's go. But Elvis said, No, you all go on, find some place else; I don't want to ride no more, and his friends waved and left. He was so polite, soft spoken and I relented and let him slip in the back door. Elvis sat in the kitchen at the workstation table and I made him two sandwiches one of which he ate in about 4 bites! He downed two glasses of milk and the sandwiches pretty quickly; I asked if he'd like a slice of pie and he nodded, his mouth was too full to answer. I was known in our little town for making the best lemon pies and won First Place at the county fair a few years before. Elvis loved the pie, not too sweet he said, just right-like his momma made.
What I recall most about meeting him was his courtesy and the way he asked, please could he have a sandwich and he would pay extra if I could do that for him. He had not eaten since the evening before when he had done a show in Raleigh and he said he really did need to eat something other than soda pop and sweets.
I couldn't refuse those baby blue eyes and that sweet sounding voice of his. He stayed for over 2 hours, just resting and waiting for his friends and watching me finish cleaning up. He asked questions about what I did, was I happy working there and if I was married. I wasn't. Then he wanted to know where I lived, how far from work and did I drive. He told me he was real tired out, needed to find a place to rest some before having to do two performances on Saturday. It was Thursday night and they didn't have money for a hotel and there was only one motel in town and it was full up. Did I know where they might stay?
Maybe I was crazy, I mean I didn't know him and I said, you can stay with me. (My brothers and I lived in our parents old home.) It just slipped out like the most natural thing ever and I surprised myself. He looked at me with those beautiful kind eyes and said, do you have room? I said yes, my two brothers were gone for several days and he and his friends could stay in their rooms, it would be all right. Then he smiled, and I felt such a warm rush go through my heart and all my doubts were gone. Shortly, his friends returned and brought two hamburgers for Elvis who said he would eat them tomorrow if I would keep them refridgerated for him.
To make a long story short, Elvis and his two friends stayed at my house for a day and a half, Elvis slept in one room and they in the other. Elvis didn't wake up for almost 11 hours once he was asleep.
When he woke, I knocked on the door and asked if he wanted breakfast and he said he would eat the hamburgers if I could warm them for him. I did, he gulped them down along with 2 glasses of milk. His friends left and didn't come back until late Friday night. Elvis and I talked quite a bit and we felt comfortable together; I didn't go to work so I could stay with him. He was such a sweet guy, friendly and funny, very personable and good-natured. That night when he was going to bed he asked me if I would stay with him until he went to sleep and I did. We lay on the bed and talked, holding hands and he kissed me gently a time or two, then lay beside me with his arm over me, his face against my shoulder and went to sleep-fully clothed. There was no hanky-panky. Early Saturday morning he woke up and wasn't quite sure where he was, I could tell. Then he was fully awake and he grinned at me, still lying beside him. He cuddled close, then kissed me and said, this is much better than staying in a hotel! Thank you dear, it was so kind of you to do this for me. I-I could of been a a punk but you took a chance on me. I want to make it up to you-will you come to the show with me and then I'll take you some where for dinner before I have to go to the next job?
I did, he was wonderful and the people were crazy about him. To tell the truth, Elvis was just as crazy about them! He took me home, stood on the stoop and kissed me several times saying thank you and that he would come back by on his way home, unless he had another show in the other direction. When he left I went to change the bed and found he had left an envelope with a $20 dollars and a note that said I know you didn't want me to pay you, but it comes out of my expenses. My manager is paying for it-not me. Thanks again and may God bless you. Elvis PS I hope I see you again soon, I'll buy a whole pie if you make a lemon one.
He didn't come back through, instead went into Texas and back up through Arkansas so I didn't get to sell him a pie. I remember how soft his kisses were, how tenderly he looked at me and the blueness of his eyes. Every time I looked into those eyes it felt as if his soul was pouring into me and to this day when I hear him on the radio, on television, records or anywhere, I feel that same feeling as when he stood in front of me and looked into my eyes. He was a very warm and spiritual
young man.
I saw him in concert in Las Vegas when I made my husband take me for our 9th wedding anniversary and when Elvis walked out in front of me sitting in the first row of booths, I felt as though I was seeing an angelic being, he was dressed in black but he shone like an angel in my eyes. My husband who was avidly not a fan, began to wipe tears f rom his eyes and said to me, that is a very special man up there, he's one of God's special ones. He still speaks of that first time seeing Elvis on stage. He told his father it was like being in a cathedral with a man of God talking just for him, yet he didn't even know this man. And he said, I want to know him-have to know him somehow! He has from then on bought every album he found and now he is buying CDs and DVD's and I let him. I owe it all to his deep feelings for Elvis. He started to read Elvis What Happened and became so upset and agry he burned the book! He has Larry Gheler (the hairdresser for Elvis) book, Kathy the highvoice singer's and a big picture book from his official ontour photographer. The pictures in it are just beautiful but they don't show the great beauty Elvis had when seen in person. That beauty was Godly, there is no other way to explain what it is except to say it comes from within and was a gift from our Heavenly Father presented in the form of Elvis Presley. I read that Elvis said his voice came from God and that he had to use it to bring peace and joy to the public through singing. He certainly does that-even today.
Elvis has "left the building of earth" but he is at the "right hand of God" and still ministering to the masses through his music and will continue to do so as long as the "building earth" is still functioning. He is indeed, our Elvis.
( She goes on to thank me for rewriting the book and will get one from Amazon and that her husband found the recorded record of an interview with me and others with the beautiful picture of Elvis bonded on it. And it's one of his prized possessions.)
My father managed McMurphys', that small cafe that has been closed for some years. I saved the stool Elvis sat on and keep it in a corner place of honor at our kitchen breakfast bar. My husband won't let anyone sit on it to this day and not even our cat dares to try. I tell him Elvis would laugh at him and he says, Good, let him!
[end ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:40 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Reading this letter what comes to mind is that God was watching over Elvis, making sure he had a place to stay. Elvis' wonderful innocence comes across. And his appreciative nature, leaving money for the lady and he didn't have to do that. He was a blessing to everyone he ever met.

Wanda, I didn't know your voice was on a recorded interview for sale. I would love to know what you sound like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:21 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

shy but knows at the same time, he could reach to the souls which are open to good...somehow he read people's spirits ..so he could give and take ..this is the balance,we all need in life..the circulation of love,and how quickly he generated in the middle of no where,with a total stranger..amazing spirit.. :D thanks Wanda for letting us read.. :D

For a heavenly cause

Post subject: recording....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

It was made by a couple of guys who interviewed me, Dick Grobe, Mrs. McCombs, and I can't remember now if it was Charlie or someone else-we were all at the same convention and staying in the same motel. They did me first and then went to their room and did them. The recording had a really beautiful picture of Elvis bonded into it in full color. It was very limited edition and came out in the 80's I think-79 or 80 and sold quickly out. I don't even know what it's called now-we have one but it's in never land at Starla's fire safe shed. She listened to it not long ago and said Mom you sounded really good on that recording-I was surprised you were so calm and made so much sense! I said, Well, thank you Starling...I'm glad you think so. I mean, what else could I say? I sound different now and don't make any sense!
Ha. I laughed about that and still do! It was a nice recording and I had about 20 minutes or so-the others did good too. But I haven't seen or heard it in years and years and don't even know what I said-just answered questions-I was a pro by then...had been doing the book tour and had 4 months "under my belt". I could handle anything-even Larry King...who wasn't so hot a product back then. He was leering down my dress and asking underhanded questions when we were off the air-he had a radio show. I probably ought not say that-so it may get deleted soon! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:58 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

those kind of TV people always expect to hear some" different" type of stories for sure :roll: ..after all, a woman,talkin about Elvis.. :shock: :roll: :roll: simple minds.. :roll: :roll:

Last edited by Lighthouseseeker on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

For a heavenly cause

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

I found this part especially profound:

Quote:
I saw him in concert in Las Vegas when I made my husband take me for our 9th wedding anniversary and when Elvis walked out in front of me sitting in the first row of booths, I felt as though I was seeing an angelic being, he was dressed in black but he shone like an angel in my eyes. My husband who was avidly not a fan, began to wipe tears f rom his eyes and said to me, that is a very special man up there, he's one of God's special ones. He still speaks of that first time seeing Elvis on stage. He told his father it was like being in a cathedral with a man of God talking just for him, yet he didn't even know this man. And he said, I want to know him-have to know him somehow! He has from then on bought every album he found and now he is buying CDs and DVD's and I let him. I owe it all to his deep feelings for Elvis.

I HAVE SEEN THIS KIND OF THING HAPPEN TO MEN AT ELVIS PERFEROMANCES MYSELF! REALLY AMAZING!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:52 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

To know about such experiences warms my heart. Again, we are the fortunate witness of such a wonder! Even more, we are part of it.

LOVE is so powerful, wonderfully powerful. When we get in touch with it, anything else becomes a consecuence.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

It is so great to read so many wonderful and positive things about such a caring loving soul. :D My heart smiled and danced with joy reading it all. :D My prayer is that one day, wonderful and positive things will be the ONLY things read or said about Elvis, for a heart as special and beautiful as his deserves that and so much more! :D :D Thank you so much Maia and Wanda for posting everything and also to you too dear Sue for bringing this back again! :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next