It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hope you won't mind me asking but is there any one particular concert or memory you have that relates to Elvis the man and the music? And in particular, any one thing that relates to Elvis and his spiritual soul force, how he was with people, the fans etc?

I wrote about one show that was very special to me (in Blue Star Love):

1975: My mother and I sat in the darkness, our vision transfixed upon Elvis. His face was grey. I had never seen a living human face that color before or since; and yet his eyes were lit, as if by eternal lamps. His soul poured out of them and into our hearts. When he sang ‘How Great Thou Art’, he arched his back, raising his arm upward, as if reaching for a distant star. His voice soared beyond the range of human emotion. Surely the angels were rejoicing in that moment. As he reached the height of crescendo, my 71 year old mother burst into tears. She later told me that she felt his voice lift her into such a sacred space, the emotion of it was momentarily overwhelming.

Of course the shows were I was able to personally interact with him were VERY special to me...read more about them in "My Story":

http://www.elvislightedcandle.org/mystory/maia_story.htm

There were many precious moments in various shows...almost all in Vegas were he sang his best and was able to communicate more personally with an audience. I give a few of these memories on "My Personal Memories" page:

http://www.elvislightedcandle.org/mystory/memories.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

In Blue Star love I quote a fan's experience seeing a show in 1975 at the same summer engagement as my "How Great Thou" Art" story in the last post.

Quote:
(This quotation comes from my personal scrapbooks, and unfortunately, the author's name was not preserved.)

A fan writes from the heart on experiencing Elvis’ performance in Las Vegas, August, 1975. These amazing shows ended abruptly when Elvis collapsed ill backstage. He was forced to cancel the remaining two weeks of his appearance, being flown to the Baptist Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee:

“He was rubbing his left eye in this show and at last looked into the audience and said, ‘Is my Doctor there? Do we have any eye drops, Dr. Nick? I have something in my eye.’ He was again in a beautiful mood, but seemed more tired than for previous shows. Judge how the audience felt about him, however. At the end of a request version of ‘Young and Beautiful’ as Elvis was pausing and searching mentally for the words a girl yelled, ‘You’re beautiful!’, and Elvis never finished the song because suddenly the whole audience spontaneously applauded and applauded and applauded. He just stood there amid it all and looked from JD to Charlie and back again, and shuffled his feet, beaming. Everyone on stage beamed back at him, and it was one of the best moments in an Elvis concert that I’ve ever experienced. During this and every show his smile broke out constantly. He seemed more relaxed and confident in front of the audience than I’ve ever seen him. When he sat to rest, he had a tranquility and a glow of good-humor which seemed a little different from anything I’ve observed in him before. The ‘tranquility’ may have been part of his tiredness in effect, but it didn’t seem tired; he seemed calm and quietly happy. I have to say that he still seemed to have a weight problem of some kind, which does not necessarily imply that he’s fat. His back view was perfect, and so were his face and limbs, but the front of his body makes him look more heavy. Many people I spoke to were sympathetically concerned about this. I never heard anyone criticize him for it....More than ever his audiences seemed to love and cherish him, and give him total appreciation and encouragement with every show....If I say that Elvis looked more beautiful this time than I’ve ever seen him, those who don’t know will probably cringe with horror, while those who do will understand.<$F Elvis was very swollen from a combination of his genetic liver disease and the cortisone medication he was taking.> It was something to do with his expression and that peacefulness.

“When he was about to do ‘Why Me, Lord?’ he leaned sideways on his chair with his hand over his eyes in an attitude of great tiredness. But he sat up almost immediately and removed his hand as if he realized he shouldn’t look like that in front of his audience....Each show was punctuated by Elvis resting on a chair or an amplifier, and he would sit still and pant for awhile after a hectic song, but soon the smile would come back and he would be alright again. He would always sit by Estelle for the introductions while each of the group’s musicians did a solo. He sat quietly in the darkness breathing hard for awhile and blinking as he watched, with an expression of smiling appreciation. Usually he would come up with some seemingly outrageous comment while watching, and would turn back to Estelle who would lean forward to him to communicate it, and then she’d collapse with shocked mirth, and so would JD. Elvis would look sideways at the audience too, with a smile to see if they were enjoying the solos as much as he was.

“Throughout the show, Elvis had received great applause, notably from some very enthusiastic male members of the audience, which is a thing he values. At the end, the people were literally climbing over each other and over the furniture to get to Elvis. The show had in fact been characterized by people’s affection for Elvis and their eagerness to hold or shake his hand, even more so than I’ve seen before. People of all ages would stand and stand until he came to them. The girls climbed over everything, Elvis gave away scarves, accepted more gifts, kissed more people, ducked back under his curtain, and was gone. The next thing we knew was the following morning when the place was found stripped of its hundreds of Elvis pictures and posters, the concession stand was gone, and nothing remained to show what had been except three small posters that say, ‘The remainder of the Elvis Presley engagement has been canceled due to illness.’ Rumors, panic, and confusion spread, fans fell weeping into each other’s arms. You couldn’t get on a plane out of Vegas for the numbers leaving, people were on the telephone all day to the Baptist (Memphis hospital) or telling anxious friends as much as they knew, prayers were arranged for Elvis for the following Sundays’ services, and we spent some hours in tricky negotiations to change our flight tickets home.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:31 pm 
YOU KNOW MAIA AND SUE I THINK IF ELVIS WOULD HAVE SAT DOWN A LITTLE AT HIS CONCERTS AFTER HAVING TO DO SO MANY, MAYBE HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SO TIRED. WHAT A PRECIOUS SWEET SOUL OF MAN HE WAS AND STILL IS, THANKS SUE FOR PUTTING THIS UP ITS MY FIRST TIME IN READING IT. FAIRYTALE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Maia for sharing such special and precious memories with us!! :D :D All of these memories truly show the brilliant glow of God's LOVE that radiated so brightly from his heart and soul!! :D Thanks again Sue for bringing another wonderful topic back around for all of us to enjoy!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Your are welcome! Like for Wanda, sharing my memories of him brings him BACK to me! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Maia wrote:
Quote:
If I say that Elvis looked more beautiful this time than I’ve ever seen him,

Personally to me Elvis also looks most beautiful in his August 1975 concerts, I always felt that, and his voice is very special also, very rich and deep..... :roll: :)

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]