It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I loved Knut, Sue-Lenora. Yet, it seems to be a great controversy behind it, about the convenience of saving the little cub, thinking of the future.

If it was under my decision, I would have saved Knut too...

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much dear Sue for posting these great links for us. :D :D Little Knut is sooooooo adorable and I loved watching the video about him that was set to music. :D :D Too cute!! :wink: :P I also enjoyed, though found it sad watching the other news video about him and hearing that there is such controversy as you said sweet Amanda about whether or to have saved him---one of God's precious creatures. :( I, too, would make the same choice as you Amanda and chosen to save little Knut. :) As an aside, I thought it was so sweet hearing that his trainer/handler sings Elvis songs to him every night!! :wink: :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:24 am 
Site Admin

He has grown too big for human beings to be safe with him now, even his handler can't go in and handle him anymore. They call him the Psyco bear because he is miserable minus his human being friends and playmates now that he's so big. They have him in a zoo, he has a wonderful space and they are going to bring in a young female bear for him and see how that works-it will be done slowly, with bars between them at first etc;...he might not recognize his own kind at first-he only had human speech to learn...and they couldn't under stand his speech!
Anyway, he looks good, he's just cranky and lonely and destructive in his frustration...he probably misses the Elvis music too! I know my horse Foxx misses his dressage music and the country music that always played at the stable where he was for 3 years-so in summer we put a radio out and when he hears "his" music, he cocks his ears and listens and I think remembers those days. He likes country stations, all the horses prefer it to rock or any other kind-we've tried various ones and country settles them down the best...it's the beat, you know...that's what calms them.
They like Elvis too, his slow songs and country and they enjoy the gospel ones too. Foxx though, always knows "his" songs-the ones he used to perform to and he will come out of his stall/barn to hear it better. So I know that bear misses his music. That's something they should do for him-it would calm him right down. He was on tv the other day, that's what I saw and heard about him. I hope some one will suggest that they play Elvis for him. His handler ought to be told so he could arrange it.
wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:28 pm 
Hello everyone,

Cute Knut has got competition! A few weeks ago the same thing happened at Nuremberg Zoo here in Germany, but this time it´s a cute little polar bear girl named "Flocke" = flake as in snow flake. Have you heard?

Her mother obviously didn´t feel safe in the enclosure for some reason and started dragging and dropping the little one, so a quick decision had to be made. It started the whole controversy again about the right and wrong of messing with nature. But then, living in a zoo is not even close to living in natural circumstances and since polar bears are considered an endangered species now due to global warming, I think there´s nothing wrong with saving the little girl.

Have a nice day!

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:09 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

This is the first I've heard of the Knut story. Thanks Sue for the video clips. What a cute little guy. I hope he does find happiness with a mate in the future. It would be so hard on him to be alone all the time now that he is too big for his trainers and providers to be near.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Well, well, well... now we have Flocke also and she is a FEMALE! Maybe they will have some possibility for the future, together! Consider that both of them will share a similar kind of growing process... 8) :)

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

AWWW! Doncha' just WANT one? At least until it gets to me 200 pounds. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm 
Dear Ladies,

I just heard that Flocke´s dad Felix is back at the Nuremberg Zoo where she lives! Not to be with her actually, because polar bear dads are not really good daddies :D , but to keep Flocke´s mom Vera company and to help her deal with the loss of her babies + to make more polar bear babies :wink: .

Here´s a link to the official Flocke blog, it´s in German unfortunately, but there are some really cute pictures.

http://www.flocke-eisbaer.de/

Love,
Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

My thanks to you also dear Ingrid for the information and the link you posted for us. :D Definitely some very cute pictures of sweet little Flocke!! :wink: :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]