It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Video - Haleakala Volcano - Sunrise Ceremony
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:24 pm 
Sun Dial

I have been to Haleakala before. I haven't been to the sunrise, but we drove up there in the morning. That is one spooky drive if you have a fear of heights like I do. It's a narrow road without guardrails most of the way up to 10,000 feet. Once you get up around 6,000 feet it rains. The towns along the way up are the most beautiful I have ever seen anywhere. The colors are indescribable because the air is so clean that you are actually seeing the colors without any pollution. The colors are almost neon they are so bright. There are many farms that dot this countryside. The pastures are are a carpet of rainbows of green. Thick green grass, knee deep beckons for you to run through it. I always picture myself doing that singing loudly and freely like I did when I was a child.

Once you get up around 6,000 feet if you look in the distance you see the ocean meeting the land. It is so breathtaking that you cannot believe that it is real and you are in it. There is a small town called Kula that is my favorite. It is farms, houses, rolling green pastures and lots of cows. Long climbing vines drape across the roof tops and down the sides of these homes. Flowers are abundant everywhere you look. The smells of all that grow up there are so intoxicating. You cannot breathe in nearly as deeply as you want to in order to fill your lungs enough, so that you can save some of nature's perfumes for later. Looking at the older family homes causes you to imagine the families that live in them are all sitting around the table, sharing meals together and there is lots of joyus laughter. I imagine that the familes in these homes share the old fashioned values of their ancesters and are proud of it. Things that fill these homes seem to be homemade and simple. Just the way it should be. Upcountry Maui is a place where all childrens storybooks should be written. One cannot help but be joyus and childlike with the wonderment of this God given gift of such beauty.

10,000 feet up feels and looks just like the pictures I have seen of distant planets. It is deep purple's, grays, blacks and all the other earthly colors. My mouth was agape the first time I took a helecopter ride over it. It was just like Mars without martians. The cindercones are gargantuan. It's so hard to fathom that this was all an active volcano millions of years ago, that there were no people and not even any vegetation. There is a plant called a silversword that only grows there. After thirty-five years, it blooms and then dies. It's quite a sight. It was so cold up there too. I was freezing and wanted to head back down as soon as we got up there. I was scared and cold. It creeped me out once I realized how high up I was and that we had to drive all the way back down behind an eighteen wheeler that delivers supplies up there and a gazillion bike riders(they have since stopped this because too many people were getting hurt) That paid big prices to companies to ride down and hold up anyone trying to get back down by vehicle. I white knuckled it up and all the way back down again. My husband said we were just going for a quick ride until we could check into our room. We got back four hours later and boy, was I grateful to be at zero elevation again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:54 pm 
Sun Dial

You are so welcome Rainbow Light. What a befitting name you have while I am describing the Hawaiian islands. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Bringing back this topic thread for anyone to see that hasn't seen before or for anyone to see again if they want to as well! :)

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2