It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: "My Way"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:19 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I am listening to the song " My Way" as Elvis recorded it. It strikes me that such a 'young' man should not have, in 1971, at age 36, been singing the words that are about a man knowing the end is near. Elvis, as I have said before, arranged a song to fit his style and his voice and certainly his image.
Paul Anka wrote the song and Sinatra, at age 53, recorded it and Elvis at age 36. Elvis would say on stage in the latter years that it was a favorite song of the group.
I find it rather disheartening that such a beautiful, generous, loved and certainly an idolized man, should choose this song to be one of 'his.' It was 1971 and "on stage" as compared to "back stage" or the place most of us did not know about, Elvis was doing well.
It makes my heart sad to listen as Elvis sings about the end. Few of us knew how badly things were really going "backstage" and maybe that is why him singing this song at such a young age still bothers me.

Last edited by 73smile on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 am 
Site Admin

I know how you feel Cooper, I listened to those songs back then, the ones he chose and knew what was going on inside his heart and head-then he was gone and I couldn't even listen to the songs I loved, the voice I loved to hear because I kept thinking about what was going on, the things I didn't truly know everything about, but heard enough, felt enough from conversations with him, the things I knew he hid, put aside to do his job and it wasn't good. I shut myself up, a big part just locked it away everything connected to Elvis, friends, thoughts, even my family's thoughts of him, just to make it through myself. It was awful, and it's like coming back again, free to listen, sure I remember, but now it's not as bad. He's free, I can think that now and believe it and know that everything is fine for him-his darling daughter is turning out okay, after some hard times emotionally and she has great kids, his grandchildren she promised to have for him-and he loves it, I know. So I don't feel bad when I hear his songs now, they helped him, he poured out the feelings, the hurt the pain and it helped him get by, to go on living and trying. So Cooper, if he couldn't have sung, didn't have such songs to turn to, to cry out his misery and wring himself out doing them, he wouldn't have made it as long as he did-it was his outlet, the only one he allowed himself to have really-the rest he just did the best he could, tried to meet people who could give him something different, inspire him, that he could help in some way or another, if only just some time with him, to share his life, to share emotional needs and love for a little while, to get by and to give something of himself to someone who needed him. So they were there and then gone, so what-they got so much from him, emotionally and probably spiritually too as he was that kind of guy...he would have passed on as much as he could. They left happy it seemed from all I've heard from and spoken to-a bit sad it was over, but still so glad to have had the chance to spend time with him....to know him a little. Some of them changed their whole lives because of that little time with him. And they aren't sad or blue, and they love to hear him sing and watch his movies with kids, some of whom they named after him- Elvis would love that...even though he probably would say, what a thing to hang on a child-Elvis!
He just woluldn't get it that Elvis is a name children treasure greatly-I know, I've met a little boy who's now 27 and his name is Elvis-it's his middle name but when he was 4 he insisted that his family call him Elvis from now on! And they did...and do. He is going to be a Judge in a few years-imagine that-Judge Elvis! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:48 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Great point of view, Wanda! :D

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject: "My Way"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I hear what you are saying and I know his music was his to make people happy for even a short amount of time. He did like to please people and he surely did do that. I guess I was listening to the words in a slow motion process and thinking through each one. A song that is about death and love, "Long Black Limousine" is one I like to hear even though it, with the changing of a couple of words, could be about Elvis.
I know, too, that had we known what was going on back of the stage we could not have stopped what was to happen.
It is just so sad that he was with so many people but still like he said: I feel lonely sometimes even in a crowd...not sure if that is the correct and exact wording of the quote so I did not quote it.
MSue

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject: Re: "My Way"
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 am 
Flame

I had do a little research and I found something interesting about the song "My way"

In the box "Elvis - Walk a mile in my shoes" Disc 4 "Studio Highlight 1971-1976"

Elvis recorded "My way" June 10, 1971 (MASTER)

When I listen to it for the first time . It's sad version of the song I ever hear. I almost cry when he finish it.

I think he took two years to add it to his concert,

Post subject: Re: "My Way"
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: I know How You Feel Liliane, I to when I hear Our Elvis Sing certain Songs the Tears Flow all on their Own. In Fact the Tears Flow even More So Now, then they ever did because of a Song Elvis Sings. I think Elvis knew he wouldn't have been able to Talk about his Feelings any other way but through a Song, because of being so Shy around People. So that is why The Lord Gave Elvis the Talent he did, Plus it so very Much Helped Elvis To get all his Hurts and other things he was Feeling out of Himself through a Song. :love:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]