It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: does anyone know
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:04 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hello all. It is hot in Michigan. Hard to believe I was wearing fleece p.j.s to bed.
Does any member of this forum know about how many gospel recordings Elvis made compared to other types of musice he recorded or covered?
The new gospel "His hand in mind" from EPE is excellent. Elvis, in my opinion, never sounded more beautiful than when he was singing about life after his time on earth.
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Not sure about how many Gospel recordings he made vs. his other recordings or covers, but I absolutely agree with you 1000% Marjorie about how incredibly beautiful Elvis's voice sounds in ALL of his Gospel songs!! :D In fact, I would actually say that in all of his Gospel songs his voice sounds absolutely HEAVENLY as you can literally FEEL the LOVE for his Lord in each and every one of them! :D His HEART, SOUL AND BELIEFS are wrapped up in every single note! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Well the Peace In The Valley triple CD set is the most comprehensive of the gospel compilations and contains 87 songs. But that includes more than just Elvis' studio recordings for albums. It includes some "live" gospel recordings, and just singing gospel for fun jammings or get-togthers such as is on the Million Dollar Quartet, TTWII & On Tour, as well as some private home recordings. And then it also includes the movie & TV gospel recordings. It is well worth having.

Post subject: Gospel Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:58 am 
Sun Dial

As far as I know, Elvis recorded 3 gospel albums -- His Hand in Mine (1960), How Great Thou Art (1967), and He Touched Me (1972). (Won Grammies for those last two. :D ) He also recorded a song called "Who Am I?" in 1969. In 1957, he recorded 4 gospel songs like "Peace in the Valley" and "Take My Hand, Precious Lord," that were released as an extended play record. So out of about 700 songs that he recorded, about 50 were gospel, though like someone said, he had some informal recordings and live ones as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:26 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

He also recorded other gospel songs not put on gospel only albums. Beyond "Who Am I", as Wanda Mc has mentioned, some are "Only Believe", "If That Isn't Love", "Life", "Help Me". I think "Why Me Lord" may have only been a live cut?? "You'll Never Walk Alone" I think was originally released as a single. And "Crying in the Chapel" as well.

Just going off the top of my head here, so perhaps someone else can add or correct.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]