It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: SO UPSET ABOUT THIS!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

I was watching tv earlier today and came across something that didn't sit well with me to say the least and it actually upset me quite a bit!! :cry: :x I was going through my list of upcoming programs to be recorded on my TIVO(it goes without saying that I've got anything that has Elvis in it set to ALWAYS record :wink: ) and as I was checking the upcoming programs with him in it I came across a show that I had never heard of that was set to record and now I now why I had never heard of it. :x The full title of the show wasn't displayed when I first looked at the list, so when I pushed the button to show the full title my shocked and saddened eyes saw the following: The Elvis Mob: SURVIVING THE KING :cry: :x Then the description of the show said "Men who surrounded Elvis Presley from his beginnings in Memphis to Hollywood discuss the singer's life and how they dealt with him." SURVIVING THE KING?????!!!" :?: :!: "how they dealt with him????!!! :?: :!: " Excuse me??? I'm sorry but to me they're making it out like he was just some incredible problematic nuisance merely to be tolerated and that they had just oh so many hardships to deal with as far as he goes. :roll: :x I'll tell you how they "survived the king" --in the lap of luxury wanting for absolutely NOTHING with a kind, generous, loving and (in my eyes) all TOO forgiving man. THAT'S how they "survived the king". :cry: :x Oh and I'm sure we all know who these "men" are going to be that will be on this show!! :roll: :roll: How can they possibly do this kind of show and then STILL have the audacity to call themselves his friends?????? :cry: :x I'm so sorry everyone to have gone on this rant but it really upset me when I saw the title and how it was described and I knew that this was the one place that I could come to and have understanding and at least that knowledge makes me feel better. :D I'd feel even better still if I could write a letter to someone about this telling them that the title and description of their show is downright, insulting, rude and COMPLETELY disgraceful to the memory of a VERY DECENT AND WONDERFUL man but I wouldn't even begin to know who or where to write the letter to. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:02 pm 

Here is what I found with a Google Search. Seems like it was in 2002 or so. Also your guess of who was involved is right. What a crock

Di

The Memphis Mafia, they ate the same food, stayed in the same hotels, shared the same intimate secrets while partying like no group of guys before or since.

The private life of Elvis Presley as told by his physician, bodyguards, drivers, fixers, gofers and confidants. Elvis never gave an in-depth interview and the testimonies of these characters reveal a darkerside of his character which was a world away from the swagger of his stage persona.

‘People ask us if our lifestyle was unnatural. Of course it was, but we knew nothing else. We called people in the real world “normals” says Lamar Fike. The Memphis Mafia accompanied Elvis everywhere, Graceland, Hollywood, Las Vegas, even in Germany during his stint in the Army. With the guys, Elvis could be himself. They were the same Southern boys he had grown up around in the poverty-stricken Memphis projects with the same dreams, ambitions and obsessions.

But allegiance to Elvis was a full time commitment. Wives, girlfriends and families were abandoned. Their salaries were small, but the compensations were huge: gifts of cars, houses, jewellery and what Joe Esposito calls ‘grazing rights’ over Elvis’s girls. Their devotion was total. ‘My job was to stop a bullet if needed’ says Sonny West, Elvis’s chief of security.

The guys were witness to Elvis’s tensions, his bizarre relationship with Priscilla that started when she was just 14 and the manipulation of his film roles and music by Colonel Parker, the scheming manager who lost a million dollars a night of Elvis’s money at the Las Vegas tables. The Memphis Mafia also dealt with Elvis’s emotional insecurities, his fascination with guns, karate, medications, his numerous girlfriends, dangerous drug use, his developing paranoia and his declining physical health.

As Elvis became older, so he became more isolated – as did the guys. When he died it changed their world forever. They knew how to order limos and protect the boss, but any other qualification? None. Too late they discovered they’d been living a dangerous fantasy world behind the gates of Graceland.

Billy Smith, says he dreams of Elvis every night. The group were addicted to Elvis, he was their drug of choice. Jerry Schilling, Mafia member says, ‘There’s not a day goes by when I don’t think of Elvis’.

Credits
A Leopard Films production for BBC.
Executive producer James Burstall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:12 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Sadly, it does seem like it portrays Elvis in a very negative light, which is a shame as there is enough of that going around. Sure Elvis demanded a lot from them, but they had amazing blessings as well. I can see why Mari this has left with you with a sour taste. Did you ever bring yourself to watch it? I wonder, hoping, if the program has more balance to it than the description?

As for Elvis being isolated when older, some of the MM were responsible for that, denying friends access to Elvis, saying he didn't want to see them when in fact he did. I'll bet that's not on the DVD.

It's only redemption, based on what Di provided above, is that Colonel Parker's true nature is apparently revealed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Those guys are so dulled by their regrets,jealously,spitefullness, inability to understand that THEY CHOSE to be with Elvis and live that life style. They chose to accept the gifts, small salary (really! free room and board, clothes,jewelry,cars,gifts galore and just about any woman they might want at any time-all easy to get because of their chosen position, 24/7 with Elvis. Why did they put up with those things-wasn't it worth it? Or was it just worth it because of those things? And wasn't it worth it enough they cast aside everything else to do it? And just after his death it suddenly became a "bizzare and unnatural life". Some of them were smart enough to learn the business side of this "unnatural lifestyle"-some were not. As for his relationship with Priscilla- Elvis took care of her, loved her and married her and she and he said they waited for marriage to consumate their relaltionship. I believe them-I certainly believe Elvis! And did those guys have a peep hole into the bedroom (s) to see what went on in there?
Or a recorder under the beds? I am so sick of their negative, underdog, downtrodden, put up on attitudes.
Why cant they just be grown up men and say, we had a hell of a time, it was great and Elvis was a good guy, troubled over somethings, but considering the pressue of his career and all the troubles we laid at his doorstep which he did his best to help resolve, we had a great life!
We'd pack right now if we could go somewhere with him again! And then just shut their stupid, lamebrained whinning and complaining, blaming and crying over something they loved more than anything-being one of Elvis Presley's guys, part of the Presley Organization.
Good grief! Grow up! Elvis would have stepped up and said, "I did it, it was my choice." And he then would have shut up. Get it guys? With all he put up with, had to do, chose to do and paid the price for-HE was man enough to say it was his decision. He certainly didn't blame any of you "poor underlings".wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Laurie the show hasn't aired yet. It won't be on until next Tues. Jun. 26th and I honestly don't know if I can tolerate watching it. :cry: :x Wanda my dear you "hit the nail right on the head" when you said that THEY CHOSE TO live this "bizarre and unnatural life"(also as you stated so conveniently named AFTER his death :x :roll: ) with pretty much no hesitation whatsoever from what I've heard them all say in interviews from time to time. Gee, wonder why they didn't hesistate to be a part of it?????????? :roll: You also mentioned something else Wanda which I completely agree with that has bothered me for the longest time too. In interviews whenever these "so called friends" of Elvis's have been called on the carpet about the salaries they made, they ALWAYS belittle what Elvis paid them and make fun of it. :x I've heard them all say at different times things like "if you want to call what we made a living" or "how the hell were we supposed to live on what we were paid??? We had families to support!". :roll: Excuse me, but first of all the so called "meager salaries" they made was IN ADDITION TO like you said Wanda FREE room and board, free cars, clothes jewelry, medical care if needed or wanted, etc.........so they did not need to worry about "making a living". :roll: Secondly, these families that they were so worried about supporting??? Gee, guess they weren't too worried about supporting them when they were busy with all of the MANY girls they were spending time with huh?? :roll: AGAIN thanks to the man that they HAD TO "try and deal with". :roll: Even regardless of that, Elvis took care of all of their families too. Wanda you put it best when you said this right here:

"Why cant they just be grown up men and say, we had a hell of a time, it was great and Elvis was a good guy, troubled over somethings, but considering the pressue of his career and all the troubles we laid at his doorstep which he did his best to help resolve, we had a great life!"

.......The thing is by them saying something like that it would require two things that by all of their other MANY maligning statements they've made over the years they've proven they obviously lack and that 's HONESTY and MATURITY!! :roll: Laurie you were right too in what you said here:

" As for Elvis being isolated when older, some of the MM were responsible for that, denying friends access to Elvis, saying he didn't want to see them when in fact he did. I'll bet that's not on the DVD."

........Of course THAT won't be on the show Laurie because THAT would portray THEM in a negative light and they wouldn't want that now would they????? :roll: :roll: Sorry for this 2nd rant everyone. :oops: There have unfortunately been other shows like this one over the years but the way this show is being touted just really got to me. :cry: :x It's like it's basically saying "look at all of MANY hardships we had to put up with all these years" :roll: :x Gee, yeah, all the hardships---fine cars and jewelry, endless women and fun......Hey, somebody remind me to send these "guys" condolence cards ok?? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:22 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Girls, girls,

Forgive and forget. Or -in Sue Lenora's words: Let go, let God, for Elvis' soul will shine through all this as it always did, 'till the end of time. Don't let negative be your load. We live in a faulty world -yet- where we humans are faulty too -yet. :)

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:00 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Amanda, I think of you as a wise woman. But I must tell you from my point of view, what disturbs me about negative programming such as the one Mari describes is that it causes much of the public to believe in errors and exaggerations re Elvis.
Someone has to stand up and speak up against the negative slant. We can forgive, but how can we forget when it keeps coming around again and again like a bad virus? God can & does use people to help set the record straight. Hopefully it is not done using anger or hate, of course.

For example, how many people today believe that Elvis died of a prescription drug overdose -- most everyone does thanks to the media continuing to rehash the same ole trash. It is simply not true and thanks to the information Wanda & Maia have provided, the truth is at least out there.
I would be one of those people still believing that Elvis died from a drug overdose if it weren't for Wanda & Maia. I now know better thanks to them.

I do agree it doesn't help to get upset, yet I do think there is a time and place for calmly combating lies & distortions and speaking up for the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:52 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I understand what you say, Laurie.

My stand is that if I feel to do something about anything, then I must try to do it in any way I am inspired to act. The emotion of "wrong" is what signals me this fact. Sometimes, to act may simply be to apport a positive thought that counterbalances something negative (which works in the proportion: 1 positive annules 10 negatives). Thoughts are energy too and build fields -positive or negative regarding the intention.

We humans tend to take the emotion meant to signal us something, as something to keep. If we don't give it course, it may transform to impotence, eternal complaint, suffering, illness, etc. etc.

We should be trained to use emotions for its true purpose, that of being a system of signals to us, not something that identificates us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:01 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Quote:
We should be trained to use emotions for its true purpose, that of being a system of signals to us, not something that identificates us.

I agree with that very much, Amanda!!

Concerning the other arguments about "forgive and forget" I think you, Laurie and Amanda, are both right.
We have to speak up when someone is slandered, but do it just to uphold the TRUTH and not to get entangled and dragged down to the same low level of bad emotions we despise in others

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:37 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

As always, you do a precise and balanced comment, Sarena. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next