It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nice story by a fan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:03 pm 
Sun Dial

The first time I saw Elvis in person was winter of 70 in Vegas. I had loved Elvis since my grandmother had taken me to see "Love Me Tender" when I was a little girl. By 1970 I was 23 years old. My heart was still full of sweet and special feelings for the man they call the KING. Being able to see him in person was beyond my wildest dreams. I anticipated the show for weeks and weeks. I didn't have much money to afford a hotel, so I drove from San Diego to Vegas, and I stayed with my aunt who lives in Henderson, Nevada. My tickets were for the dinner show so I got in line really early hoping this might help for better seating. (Now and then there's a fool such as I.) LOL I also had heard if you tipped the waiter you could get reasonably close to the stage. Well, I tipped the waiter who seated me, but my seat wasn't all that close to the stage. I was still HAPPY to be however close I was though. I guess the word happy is a real understatement.. THRILLED would be a better better word and even that wouldn't explain it. There is nothing like seeing an Elvis Vegas show. The Vegas shows were amazingly special .... simply because of being such an up close and personal experience.

The second time I saw ELVIS in Vegas was the summer of 70. I had made a tight fitting white jumpsuit with macrame' fringe to wear that was similar to the one one he had worn when I saw him earlier that year. I even made the macrame' belt. It was again great fun ...just the anticipation of seeing this gorgeous incomparable person...in person! When the show begins and the intro music starts...your heart pounds. The room just filled with the indescribable excitement. Elvis was so BEAUTIFUL. I don't think there has ever been any man as gorgeous, tender hearted, or able to touch people's emotions the way Elvis could with his voice and presence...before or since. He had a way of making every female in the audience feel he was looking right at you and singing just for you!!! He was magical.

My next Vegas show was Valentine's Day 1971. I had written to a long time friend...who was also the president of a fan club, and put out a monthly Elvis newsletter, Sean Shaver. Sean and I stayed friends on and off throughout my life. Sean later became known to some fans as Elvis' "official un-official photographer". Sean was always sweet to me when we exchanged mail, or spoke on the phone. He told me next time to tip the head matre d', Emilio, and not just the guy seating me. Ahhh.... learning from those a bit more in the know... Now, that should improve my chances. I was able to get a seat next to the stage this time, but much further to the right than I really hoped. Sean had also told me something else that became very important to my special evening. Sean told me if I wanted a kiss from Elvis, "Stand quietly when he is passing out kisses, and don't look out of control. Be a lady". I followed Sean's instructions. I stood very politely and quietly when Elvis was giving out kisses to the girls close to the stage. To my sadness Elvis did not come over to me. I was a bit too far to the right of stage to notice. I felt disheartened that he wasn't looking my way... when his bodyguard standing by the right curtain (as you look at the stage) leaned down and said, "Would you like to get a kiss from Elvis? Come back to the midnight show and I will see to it that you do". I replied, "I have to go home after the show." I figured there was NO WAY I could get a ticket to the already sold-out midnight show, either. Soon, Elvis was singing "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" and bodyguard reached for my hand and helped me up on stage and back around the back of the stage. I remember walking through a bunch of musicians and one saying, "Look, a girl Elvis."

As Elvis came off stage (left side as you look at the stage) the body guard said to Elvis... "Elvis, you missed one". Elvis always knowing how to make a lady feel like a million bucks, replied, "How'd I miss her?" (I think he got a bit of a kick of seeing me dressed like him as a broad smile stretched across his handsome face.) He came towards me and gave me a bear hug for the longest time and a sweet kiss. I said, "I love you Elvis" and he replied, "Thank you very much". The boys whisked him away. The one bodyguard asked if I knew how to get back around to get where my friend was waiting for me and I said, "Yes". When I got down off stage so several fans were waiting for me and asked me what happened and how'd I do that? I always regretted not paying more attention to which bodyguard it was that was so very kind to me so I could write and thank him. My greatest thanks always to, (((Sean Shaver))), for advising me to stand nicely and be a lady. Otherwise, I don't think the bodyguard would have been so kind to me to invite me backstage for the Valentine's Day kiss from the King of Rock n' Roll.

I saw many Vegas shows and was kissed stage-side a couple more times, plus at one show Elvis lifted a blue/white teddy bear over another fan's grasping hands and put the teddy bear in my lap. I also saw two San Diego Concerts and an Elvis Concert in Dayton, Ohio. All were wonderful... but of course... for me... nothing could beat Valentine's Day 71 in Vegas.

Elvis will always be part of my heart and my sweetest memories. My life has gone on, but I don't think it has ever been quite as happy/joyful as when Elvis was walking the earth.

~Carole~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:18 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

What a lovely story from this fan. I'm glad she shared it, and thanks Kenya for posting it. Sure wish I had been in her shoes that Valentine's Day '71!!!

Post subject: Re: Nice story by a fan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for sharing such a sweet story with us Kenya. :D Elvis really knew how to make each person he came in contact with(especially the girls :wink: ) feel so loved and so special!! :D I think this part right here just about says it all!! :wink: :D

kenya wrote:
Elvis was so BEAUTIFUL. I don't think there has ever been any man as gorgeous, tender hearted, or able to touch people's emotions the way Elvis could with his voice and presence...before or since. He had a way of making every female in the audience feel he was looking right at you and singing just for you!!! He was magical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:28 pm 

Kenya, this is a wonderful story. Thanks.

Di

Last edited by Di on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, thanks for posting that story! So like Elvis and I'd bet the guard got a big kick out of it too. They looked for girls that they thought Elvis would like to meet and also it kept him happy, pleased that he "still had it" etc;... And to get one of those bear hugs-he hugged really great-and not a quick, barely touch you kind either. You knew you were hugged! She was very lucky and I think he remembered when he gave her the teddybear! Sean Shaver was a nice guy, he was really nice to me, let me use his photos in the first book and didn't get anything for them either. Of course we didn't make a dime off it either, but it was still worth it! I'd do it again. Anyway,
that was a really nice letter for the 4th of July! Emilo made lots of money-believe me! wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]