It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cassette Recorder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:16 am 
Sun Dial

Hi, Julie! I also audiotaped a few Elvis movies as a teenager! (I'm 48 now.) I always went to the house of one of my friends, Tina (also a big fan), and her bird sometimes squawked in the middle, darn it! Got a telephone ringing once, and I remember once when it hit the end of the tape when I wasn't ready to flip it. I always tried to catch it before a commercial but missed this once. Sigh...ah, the memories. I can still read what she (and others) wrote in my yearbooks, how we planned to go to more concerts in college if Elvis ever came to perform where we were. Bittersweet memories to read those now -- we graduated in 1977. :cry:

I remember when the first Betamax recorders came out. They cost about $700! And all I thought was, "Hey! We could video all the Elvis movies on TV!" My goal was to eventually get all of them, and I have finally achieved that goal!

Post subject: Concerts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 am 
Sun Dial

Sue, actually I DID get to see him in concert twice, in '75 and '76 in Huntsville, AL. Tina only saw him in '76, and we were going to college, me in Tuscaloosa and Tina in Huntsville. So we both said if he ever came to Huntsville again or Tuscaloosa (where he did perform previously) that whoever was in that town would get tickets for both. We just never got to see him again. That's the sad part -- knowing why we never had that chance again.

I do feel very blessed to have seen him twice. Here are a few pictures from that show in '75, and he looked darn good! :D Thank goodness my friend brought binoculars!

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=38024&c=33

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=38023&postid=32310#post32310

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=33448&c=33

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:08 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Lucky girl you are.

Tell us please about his presence, about the experiences you had etc etc.

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject: Concert Experience
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:10 am 
Sun Dial

When I went to that first concert (1975), I was what I call a casual fan. I liked some of his music, esp. "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "The Wonder of You." I watched his movies on TV sometimes when they were on. I even remember seeing SOME (I must've been insane! :shock: ) of "Aloha From Hawaii." I was watching from the kitchen as I talked on the phone. I do remember being fascinated with the scarves being given out and the kisses to the fans. :D That was about it, so when a friend, Linda, asked if I wanted to go with her and her mother (her dad had decided not to go), I said OK. Fun (I'd never been to a concert) but not a really big deal except that, hey, we were going to see Elvis Presley.

We sat through all the warm-ups, then when the 2001 theme started, people started screaming and flash bulbs went off. We were on the top row at the far end from the stage, and Linda had the binoculars. I kept saying, "Is he out there yet?" She'd say no. And finally when he did come out, the place exploded! Screaming and flashbulbs the likes of which I'd never seen. Still haven't. Unbelievable. Linda passed me the binoculars so I could really see him, and I just about melted in my seat! He was 40 (a little overweight) and I was 16, and I thought he was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen. Again lots of scarves and kisses, and I remember thinking, "They are so lucky!"

He sang those 2 favorites of mine and a bunch of others, and I was just mesmerized. I couldn't get those binoculars often enough. Linda and her mother were apparently unmoved, and I was in heaven! The crowd was great, and so was he. But I remember that even though they were enthusiastic, they were quiet and attentive when he sang. (I wasn't a screamer, but a lot of women there were, but mostly between songs, not OVER him as he sang) He sang for over an hour, and I was walking on air when we left. A few days later I bought my first Elvis album ("Pure Gold," a Pickwick label), then a friend gave me her '68 Special soundtrack since she didn't listen to it any more. And it just grew from there.

He came back to Huntsville the next year, and I went with Linda (again!) and another friend, Tina, that I had discovered was also a huge fan but had never been to a concert of his. I remember thinking that he didn't look as good as before (much more overweight, or from what I know now maybe just bloated), but I heard reviews that it was one of the best shows he did on that tour. Of course, he sounded good and seemed in good spirits, and the crowd was still enthusiastic. And we were closer (on the floor) and still had the binoculars! And I still loved it. And Tina said she didn't care that he didn't look as good, she was just happy to get to see him. And it was like everyone still loved him because he was Elvis, not because of whether he looked good or not.

I had to beg my mother to let me go to that concert because she said I should save my money for college (a year later). I remember her saying, "He'll be back next year," but I begged and she relented. Of course, he never came back :cry: , so I was really glad I'd gone.

May 31, 1975, changed my life. Had Linda's father decided to go on to the concert, I really don't know what my life would be like today. But my life has had much joy and unfathomable sorrow because of my love for Elvis. And for some reason in the last 5 years or so, I've made a conscious effort to learn everything I can about him because he had had such a profound impact on me. And the more I learned, the more I wanted to know. Eventually I found my way here (a year or so ago), and I think I've learned as much about Elvis THE MAN here as from all other sources combined. I just appreciate him more all the time and truly wish I'd had the chance to know him. He was such a wonderfully unique person. One of a kind.

Thanks for asking. It was nice to remember the good times. It's like the line from "Mr. Songman" -- "I know a memory's not reliving, but it least it's not the end." Love that song. Here's a youtube version with concert footage from about that time. I cried watching it because it really brought those memories back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oqp5mJT1wCI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:00 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Such great memories. Thank you for sharing them with us Wanda Mc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:51 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda,

Grateful I am to read this MARVELLOUS review.
For e brief moment I was there too, looking trough your eyes.

Must have been fantastic :wink:

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]