It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: School
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:24 am 
Sun Dial

Just wanted to share with you my experience with my new class of 5th graders today. We were talking about heroes and people that they could admire and what makes someone admirable as I wanted them to use that as a topic for their writing. So I told about 3 people I admire, one of whom was Elvis. I told them that I admired his talent but also his strong faith, his generosity, him always remembering his roots and where he came from, and him treating people the same whether they were the President or a custodian. We had also talked (before this) about how even heroes are not perfect. One boy said that while Elvis had those admirable traits, that one thing about him that fell into that category of not being perfect was his drug addiction. Aha! I told them that Elvis had a lot of health problems that he didn't want people to know about, that yes, he developed an addiction to some of his medication, in part because you sort of become immune to its affects and because of how much he had to take for various things. But I stressed that what he was taking was prescribed medicine, that people hear drugs and think "illegal" drugs. He said, "Oh! I thought it was stuff like cocaine and crack."

And I heard one other boy in the back say something about him "dying on the toilet." I'm so tired of hearing that! I told him whether that was true or not, if that was all people knew about him, they were missing a lot of good about him.

So I'm trying in my small way to change the perceptions that some people have of Elvis, particularly children. And I'm glad to know I corrected a few things and put out some better things for them to think about. :D

Unfortunately with school starting up again, I have to turn in earlier than over the summer. I'm up late on a Friday night, but I need to get more sleep. So I may be on a little less often :( , but I shall try my best to keep up with reading all of your marvelous posts as I can. I do love spending time with all of you here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Wow Wanda MC its great you are teaching a whole new generation about Elvis..but I hate that stereotype Elvis Fat, Flashy Clothes and Died in the bathroom. All kids think that because thats how other stars spoof his as :twisted: just because they cant be like him they put him down god!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:41 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda Mc,

I'm so sorry I missed your post before! I find it wonderful how you handled all those comments on Elvis. I think you are helping those children to break patterns of thinking and to start thinking by themselves, which I believe is one of the main things to do with our younger ones. It helps them also, to learn to get free from what media may say, instead of "swallowing" it as true. Much more of these kind of teaching is very much needed!

Well, I'm glad for the Elvis' memories too... :wink: :P

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:34 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Wanda Mc, hurray for you speaking up and helping these children to see a truer and more balanced picture of Elvis.

I get discouraged at times when I hear media reports that Elvis died of a prescription drug overdose because then so many of the listeners believe it as well (kind of scary that people believe whatever the TV says w/o question). He was at prescribed levels at the time he died.

I came across a scripture the other day which reminded me of the constant rubbish recycled in the media re Elvis.
"A false witness shall perish, but the man who hears him will speak endlessly" Provers 21:28.
All it took was a few powerful media folks years ago to get the rubbish ball rolling.

And now, it is hard work trying to push it back, but Wanda Mc & Wanda June Hill, Maia, & even the rest of us here in our own little circles can hope to make a positive difference with regard to the perception of Elvis the man.

It's cute, but my young nephews, ages 6 & 7, associate Elvis with yummy chocolate. Several weeks ago, I gave them the Elvis Chocolate Banana Reses Peanut Butter Cup, and they really liked the candy. So yesterday I visited them again and said I had some candy for them (it was not the Elvis candy) and immediately they shouted "Elvis"! I had to disapoint them and say it was another kind of candy.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that is wonderful that you have the fine abilities to talk to those kids and show them a different view of things-not just Elvis but regarding all life as well. Even some of their dear ones may confront those same problems and this will help them understand. As for the dying in the bathroom bit, they might could learn that 60 percent of those persons who die at home do die in the bathroom and most either while on the comode or in the process of just getting off the comode. One reason for that is people do become consiptated more than most will say (including Elvis) and that they often read while there and sitting in that position puts the heart in a stress due to the bent legs, blood not being sent back up by the muscles of the legs as is normal in a walking, moving about state-and so the heart works harder-if there is a problem anywhere, that kind of stress doesn't help. Even that well known journalist (a young guy at that) died from a blood clot that formed in a leg because he sat in a humvee for hours in Iraq while covering the storys. Totally unexpected death-but they happen-that is why long airplane flights are not good too-they should have to get off and change planes on long trips when they can't walk about on the planes. But we all do these things and don't realize what could happen. Anyway, just a thought. I think you are doing a wonderful job Wanda Mc and you are teacher of the year here at ELC! wjh

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]