It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Introducing Myself
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:59 pm 
Owl

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this sight and wanted to introduce myself. My name is JoAnna and I am blessed and thankful to be able to call Elvis my friend. I was introduced to him by Starla and Wanda June Hill. I am forever grateful to them. I lost touch with them for a long time, and found them recently through this wonderful website. I really missed them, they are wonderful, generous, loving people.

Elvis is very special to me. My memories are treasured, as are the cards, letters, poems and gifts he gave me. He was a generous, loving man. Always kind and so very funny. I miss him so much, every day, but I know he is always with me.

I will share some of my memories with you as time goes by. I just wanted to say "Hi" for now. Talk to you soon.

JoAnna :bouncy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

I'm so glad to have you join us JoAnna and look forward to you sharing your memories of Elvis with us. :D

I remember reading your heartfelt story in Wanda's book, and also in the earlier 1978 edition there is a picture of you I think, with the blonde hair. Elvis must have thought you beautiful inside & out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there JoAnna! :D First of all before I say anything else I want to say how very glad I am to see your first post here! :D So glad to finally have you with us here in our ELC family. :D Secondly, WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!! :D I too read your very loving and touching story in Wanda's book. :D Thank you for allowing her to include it and I look forward to other memories that you will share with us in the future. :D You are also so right about Wanda and Starla---they are indeed wonderful, generous, loving people. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Thank you JoAnna! It was Starla's delight to introduce you to "her" Elvis. I remember those days happily, when you and her would sit in our little living room around that big coffee table that served as our dining table. That was a little house, but it was happy most of the time and there was lots of laughter and fun. I am very glad you are posting here. This is a great site with very nice people. Welcome to ELC! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Watched the ABC Las Vegas show tonight. It was very good and sure to get some ratings for him and the station for it. I had trouble understanding some of what Jerry said-must be my ears or something. Priscilla did well, she said what she knows personally to be true. Also that he had to be "strong for everyone, didn't want to let anyone down, was holding things in, hiding his feelings etc and didn't allow his insecurity to show: and that was so true. I'm glad she is aware of those things, and it wasn't until the last months I guess, that she became aware of where he was emotionally...by then it was too late. And at least, Jerry did say his body was starting to "give him some trouble" which was an understatement if ever there was one, but that's where it ends and perhaps it's better that way. One thing for sure, any one who gives drugs some thought, prescription or otherwise, can take a lesson and perhaps will. It wasn't his fault, doctors prescribed those things and they didn't "police" them very well once they signed that prescription pad and handed it over-not in those days and some don't today either. I hope that many hundreds of people who watched that show tonight will consider what was said about his problems and be more understanding of what Elvis went through to be ELVIS for everyone, and what he gave up to do it. His dreams...and finally, his life; yet he left a great legacy and a giant "footprint" that no one has surpassed yet. It's too bad he wasn't aware of how much he truly did accomplish in Las Vegas, how he brought new life into the town, gave it stature it never had before and opened those gates wide for other performers/singers to come and stand on those stages. Again, he paved the way. I don't think he was aware of it or that it made that big an impression on him. He knew he got the most money and was pleased, even though he didn't actually get it all himself, there were things that came out of it etc:. I don't recall him ever saying much or implying anything other than disbelieving that he could keep filling that big room and how worried he was or later, anything much about remaking Vegas etc; or regarding his stints there. After 9 years of it and touring too, he worked so hard, he was tired and he felt that he was being "used" in many ways and didn't like it. That show tonight really did hold him high and shone the brightest spotlight on what he meant to that town...as well as to the world of entertainers who have followed in his footsteps. wjh

I have to say there were lots of things I had not seen before, from their wedding, him carrying her through the door, the happiness on his face and in his eyes. It was sooo obvious that he loved her dearly and that she loved him too. So much came between them, much of it not something they did-just stuff and other people. I liked the way she skirted a round why they got married in Vegas-it was the story and she stuck to it because that is how it went down. Certainly not because the Col. or her parents made him get married-it was simply that they were trying to keep it quiet and not have the fans swarm the place...especially since they were not getting married at Graceland etc:. Anyway, it was a pretty good show tribute and I'm glad I stayed up to watch it. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:49 am 
Site Admin

We have a new member, JoAnna whose story is in WR,E 2006 and 1978 has joined us here at ELC. To read her first post, scrowl back a few posts or go to General to find her post. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:56 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hallo, JoAnna!
I am happy you intend to share your special memories with us here on this beautiful website!!!
WELCOME!!
:D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:50 am 

JoAnna, great to have you here. This group is wonderful and I am sure you will feel the same way.

Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 pm 
Owl

Thank you to all of you who have welcomed me so warmly.

Wanda, I so vividly remember those great days in your old home. We had so much fun. Laughing, sharing stories, watching movies & eating vanilla ice cream with some kind a cherry topping (yum yum). The laughter stopped on August 16, 1977. Elvis tried to reach me that morning. He called my home phone and left a message and called my work and left a message. I was on the freeway, driving to work (no cell phones back then). I never got to talk to him again. I got a call at work and was told the news. I left worked. I remember driving, it was August in California, but it was raining. I was crying so hard, so between the rain and my tears, it was hard to drive. Some girls in another car rolled down their window and asked if I was ok, of course I wasn't. The news hadn't been released to the press yet. I drove to Wanda's house, but I don't remember how I got there. I was so sad for so long. After he went to heaven, I received a tape from him and also a card that his secretary found on his plane. He told me to be happy. That's how I've been trying to live my life, with happiness and silliness and laughter. Now, when I think of him, I remember his beautiful smile. His beautiful eyes. His tender, sweet soul. His laughter. I miss him.

Bye for now.

JoAnna

Last edited by JoAnna on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:04 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hi JoAnna..it's nice to have you here..and thanks for wishing to share your prescious memories with us, as our dear Wanda does..

For a heavenly cause

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next