It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A speech by my daughter who is 10 years old
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:37 pm 
Phoenix

Hi all

My daughter, Emilia Rose who is 10 years old, had to write a speech for public speaking at school. She could write it on anyone she wanted and she chose Elvis of course. She researched the information and wrote the speech at school. I would like to share it with you. Needless to say I am a very proud mummy!!

Quote:
Elvis Presley

Walk on singing “Blue Suede Shoes” and ipod in ears carrying Elvis poster………

OH….sorry!! I was just listening to a song by my favourite Rock n’ roll singer…….why don’t I tell you about him? Well, his name is Elvis Presley (point to poster) or some of you may know him as “Elvis the Pelvis” or simply “Elvis”, or “The King” - The King of Rock n’ Roll that is!

Now let’s start at the beginning….Elvis was born on the 8th of January 1935. His mum and dad were very poor and lived in a two room house. Not a two bedroom house….a 2 room house…imagine that! When he was about 8 years old he got a guitar for his birthday and he loved to sing and play his guitar. Elvis loved all kinds of music but he especially loved music with lots of rhythm.

By the time he got to high school Elvis continued to play his guitar and sing. The other kids at school thought he was kind of strange because he like to wear his hair long with sideburns and combed back. In those days most of the boys kept their hair short. Elvis was never afraid to be different. After he finished high school he really wanted to become a singer but his dad told him he would make more money driving a truck.

He started work driving a truck but one day he decided to make a record for his mum. Lucky he did!!! Because when he went to make the record the people there heard him sing and they wanted him to make more records. Hmmm some of you may not know what a record is….In the 1950’s they didn’t have CD’s like we have now. They had records. A record is kind of like a CD only much bigger and made of vinyl. (show record)

When people heard Elvis Presley they really liked his voice, but when they saw him in concert wiggling and shaking his legs - kind of like this (show how Elvis moved) – a lot of older people didn’t like him. Teenage boys and especially girls thought his performance was fantastic! He was really cool and different and oh yeah………boy could he sing!

Elvis became very popular very quickly and he performed lots of concerts. He made lots of money and bought a new house for his family to live in. His new house was called Graceland and had 23 rooms in it! A lot more rooms than the first house he lived in! The street where he lived was even named after him – it was called Elvis Presley Boulevarde – How cool is that?!

Elvis Presley became very famous and had lots of number one songs like Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, and of course Blue Suede Shoes. As well as singing, Elvis starred in 34 movies. My favourite movie is Spinout where he plays a car racing driver.

Sadly, on August 16 1977 Elvis was found dead. He was only 42 – that is just tragic. I really would have liked to meet him. Graceland his house is a museum now and I hope to go to America someday so I can see it.

Elvis Presley was the best entertainer ever – The King of Rock n Roll – and now you know why he is my favouriter rock star. He was a singer, musician and actor…..everything I would love to be one day!

And in the words of the King – you’ve been a beautiful audience, thank you thank you very much!

She won 1st place in her class and will be performing this speech in front of the whole school next week :)

Vera Valla x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful speech your daughter has put together and I can see why you are so proud of her!! :D :D I think Elvis would really like it too. :wink: :D Congratulations Emilia Rose(such a beautiful name :D ) on a job well done and good luck when you perform your speech next week! :D Thank you so much for sharing your daughter's accomplishment with us Vera! :D This is for Emilia----Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Vera, I can certainly see why you are so proud of your daughter. What a fantastic job she did!!!

And really great that "She won 1st place in her class and will be performing this speech in front of the whole school next week" . Is it going to be taped for posterity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

FANTASTIC, VERA VALLA. MY GREATEST CONGRATULATIONS TO EMILIA ROSE and a biiiiig kiss!

What I liked most, 'cause I find it very wise, fruit of a deep reflexion's predisposition:

Quote:
Elvis was never afraid to be different.

The speech has many values in its lay out, but the one above just deserves the greater recognization for the awareness it shows and the lesson for others it includes. BRAVO!

(Glad to share name with your daughter: Emilia es my third name, as is current to have under the rules of a Catholic Baptism as was mine... )

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 pm 

Fantastic speech.

Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Just great, Vera! Your daughter deserved 1st place indeed!!!!
I remember my first talk (don't know how it is called, when you have to speak bout a chosen subject..) in the English-lesson at school when I was 16.
I chose Elvis of course and I got the best grade for it. I was so nervous but also proud afterwards!! Sweet memories....
:roll:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:20 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

So... you too, Sarena?

Great!
:P :P

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]