It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: EVEL KNIEVEL HAS GONE UP THAT LAST RAMP-
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

We watched the news yesterday and saw that Evel had passed away from various illnesses, most of which did not come from his many accidents during his career as a "dare devil on wheels". We always liked to watch him and I loved to listen to him talking because he was sincere and he wanted to help kids and young teens especially by giving them good ideas and words. He might have been a rowdy boy but he reminded me of Elvis quite a bit; they were friends I learned later. After Elvis left here Evel had a tell all book written about him done by one of his "friends" and being Evel, he had a temper and though he had to walk with a cane most of the time, couldn't get up out of bed without someone to help him, he went down to confront the guy at his office. Evel took along a baseball bat and used it on the guy's desk and office but not on him. However the guy called the police and had him arrested. Evel took the bat because anyone could knock him over due to his frail condition at that time. late 77-78. Evel went to jail for a few months and while he was there I wrote to him and said some things that I wanted to say and I was surprised to receive a hand written (in pencil as they didn't allow pens or ball points in jail) letter wherein he speaks of what he thinks was going on in our country at the time-he was right on. He mentions having met Elvis, liking him and having spent some time with him and his dad. (that was when he tried to fly a rocket over a canyon and almost made it-Elvis said he did make the otherside but the wind blew his parachute back so he fell into the canyon-and lived.) Anyway, I have that letter and then in l984 Starla and her band Lonestarr was playing at the Palomino Club in N. Hollywood and Evel came by to see the owner Tommy Thomas. She got to meet Evel and go on his tour bus, spend some time talking with him and then he signed one of his new artist prints to her. He was a wonderful wildlife and Indian painter and did water colors too. Her print was signed in pencil as Evel told her if it wasn't in pencil then it was not a legitimate "Artist print" and it had to be dated too. Hers is, including his message to her by name. JoAnna also met Evel when Elvis was alive and she was getting into modeling etc: and working a convention where he was appearing. She got to ride in the limo with him and tell him that Elvis said hello. I think she might post something about this-if she hasn't already. I hope so, it's a cute story too...and Elvis got involved, of course.
Anyway, we were sad to hear that Evel had left, but he probably got met by Elvis and others who are now having a time discussing things that intrested them both. Evel was very spiritual in many ways, his art work shows it the most. I loved the one he gave Starla, two geese flying over water-the colors are all muted purples and silvery shadows, very peaceful and quiet. He did fantastic paintings of Indians also-and other animals too.
I missed him, tried to e-mail him several times but he had moved to Florida and he didn't have a current website I guess, by then. He was 69.
His son Robbie is carrying on the family tradition, but there was only one Evel! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:58 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks Wanda for sharing such interesting stories and the fact that there was a connection between Evel & you, Elvis, Starla, Joanna. I haven't heard about Evel in years. I remember him from watching & hearing about his racing stunts in the 70's. And here you've revealed to us more about his personality and other interests. Makes for a more balanced view in remembering him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:37 am 
Site Admin

My thanks to you also dear Wanda for the interesting stories you have shared here and my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Evel Knievel's friends, family and loved ones. May God bless them all with all the comfort and strength that they need.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]