It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Evel Knievel, Me and Elvis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:28 pm 
Owl

I was going to post this memory a while ago, just never did it. When I heard yesterday that Evel Knieval had passed away, I thought it was a good time to share this with you.

I was just starting out in modeling and acting and got a job at the Motorcycle USA Show, featuring Evel Knieval. It was in July of 1977, at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California. It lasted for a few days and then there was an after party the last evening.

The first day, they had me at the front door, greeting people and trying to sell posters ( "Barker", I guess is the carnival term). Elvis knew I was working the show. After an hour or so, someone came to get me and put me on stage right next to Evel, to help him sign autographs. Elvis had told me to say "Hello" to Evel, so I did. Evel told me that Elvis told him to look out for me. I remained on the stage with him for the rest of the show.

One day, I got home and there was a note from my mom. I lived with my mom, but had my own phone and she always "ran" to the phone, just in case it was Elvis, so she could talk to him (Elvis use to call my mom sometimes too. He helped her through her divorce from my dad...that's another story tho, for another day). I still have the message my mom wrote (actually, I have a lot of messages that my mom wrote, we didn't have answering machines back then). The message says:

"Elvis called - said he would try and call you before you go to work in morning. Said he is feeling much better & is OK. Said if you didn't get paid - you will - they are kind of slow sometimes. He talked to Evel and he said that Evel said I was a "Knockout". Elvis told Evel it was OK for him to look, but to keep his hands off, or he would get a knockout. Don't tell Evel, just let Elvis do it. Love, Mom"

On the last day, I went with Evel and some other girls in his limo to the After Party/Dinner. I asked Evel for his autograph (I just had to, still star-struck). He wrote, "To JoAnna, "Happy Landings" Evel Knieval". I still have that too, it's on a napkin from the dinner.

Evel was a complete gentleman. He was in a lot of pain, and had to take a lot of breaks to go lie down. I know it was Elvis who got me moved to the stage that first day. He never admitted it, but I was a nobody and all of the sudden, within an hour, I'm right next to Evel for the rest of the show.

It was a lot of fun, and Elvis taking care of me made it even more special.

My prayers and loving thoughts go out to Evel Knieval's family, friends and loved ones.

JoAnna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Great post JoAnna; such a wonderful time you have had in your life and you're not over yet! I didn't know Elvis helped your mom; so like him though. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:20 pm 
Flame

Always helping out and looking after people...thoughtful and sweet. And he never admitted, :lol: funny.

Thank you for sharing Joanna

Love, Raina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:30 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Great story Joanna! Thanks for sharing your memories. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Beautiful story, JoAnna!

Our overprotective friend, so sweet and tender... and yet a bit posessive I think, from what I know through those that were so affortunate as to be subjects of his love.

Elvis said: "LOVE is what it's all about." :*::*: Now I know it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanky you , JoAnna!!!

Quote:
Beautiful story, JoAnna!

Our overprotective friend, so sweet and tender... and yet a bit posessive I think, from what I know through those that were so affortunate as to be subjects of his love.

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Rainbow Light wrote:
Many thanks for sharing your wonderful memories here with us, JoAnna! Always much appreciated!!

And sure, that's so very typical of Elvis to be there and do his best to help people!

AMEN my dear friend and my heartfelt thanks to you also sweet JoAnna for sharing more of your precious memories here with us. :D :D It was so cute and I just loved reading the part where Evel said you were a "knockout" and then Elvis told him it was "OK for him to look but not touch otherwise he'd get a knockout". :D :wink: :P So like Elvis to be so protective--especially for those he so loved and cared for as he did you dear JoAnna. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Bringing this one back for new readers and some of you all who might enjoy it again too. wjh Scrowl back a few posts...please.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]