It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Used Books
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:30 pm 
Dear Ladies,

Have you heard of a site called www.half.com? It was bought by Ebay and you can get (used) books real cheap, even cheaper than through the individual sellers at amazon, it´s worth checking out if you live in the US.

For example, Peter Guralnick´s "Last Train to Memphis" is up for $ 3,26 right now, Elaine Dundy´s "Elvis and Gladys" for $ 4,98, plus shipment...

I live in Germany, and I order books from the US all the time, because of the weak dollar :D .

Love and a wonderful weekend!
Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:31 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Thanks for that valuable information, Ingrid!! I will surely use it!!!! :D

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for this great link dear Ingrid!! :wink: :D :D I know it'll be getting put to good use by me in the near future!! :wink: :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Me too Ingrid! I found books on there that I had looked for-like Dick Grobe's but it's expensive even there. I'd like to get one though-I'm sure it is full of interesting facts and things behind the scenes...
Also they have Gene Smith's book, "My Man Friday" but it's a bit high since it's so rare a book now. And all the others that I didn't know were even written-by many of the people working for etc: and can't reacall even hearing about them-must have been in my "cave days".
Pretty interesting site-and there are other books that I will look for-like the Shopenhaour book that Elvis had given me that was taken and never returned-I really want to find another one of those! Even the LA University couldn't get a copy for me! But that was several years ago-I remember reading it and thinking, so this is where Elvis gets that idea or that one...it was there-even his thoughts about marriage and women! It was funny and very educational! wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am 
You´re right Wanda, it´s insane what books cost that are out of print, like Kathy Westmorelands, starts at $ 200 on amazon.com... I hope there will be a reprint soon, as she announced on her site. I have to admit I was tempted to spend the money, but I got over it :lol: ...

I ordered Priscilla´s book for $ 2.95 though, and I got an original hardcover edition from the 80s, used but in very good condition, which I thought was great, very authentic :D !

I got WR,E regularly through amazon.com, the UK and the German amazon store didn´t have it! And it arrived on the day I left for Australia last December, it took two weeks to get to me because of customs. Guess what I did on that plane??? :wink: Boy was I happy when the postman came that day...

I do have to start reading a few books that Elvis used to love!

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:16 pm 
:D Thanks Ingrid for the Infor. I well certainly check this site out. FairyTale!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:31 am 
Very helpfull, too, is the site www.bookfinder.com, it´s a search engine for books that lists the current best offers for used and new books in your own currency. Works great! :D

Have a nice week everyone!

Ingrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Another great link that I will be looking into!!! :wink: :D :D Thank you so much dear Ingrid for sharing it with us!! :D :D Hope you have a good week too sweet lady!! :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:11 pm 
Thanks so much, Ingrid. I never heard of bookfinder before. I'm glad my husband does all our budgeting and so forth, or I think we'd soon go broke with all my Elvis-related purchases. (We had an argument last year when I insisted I HAD to make a pilgrimage to Graceland RIGHT NOW. :lol: Gas is pretty expensive nowadays. I guess I still have to wait.)

I would love to read Kathy Westmoreland's book, too. I think the romance between them was so cute, even if it didn't end so well. They must've had a strong bond to keep their friendship past the difficulties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:33 pm 
:D :D :D Trish, I had to laugh out loud at your post, so cute and it reminds me of my husband`s reaction to Elvis. He´s jealous! Definitely not my intention, but funny, isn´t it?

We love to travel and the next time we go to the US it´s going to be the South! I told him about Elvis´ car collection, that´s enough incentive for him :wink: .

Anyway, I just bought Ann-Margret´s biography for very acceptable $ 1,99 :D . I´m obsessed with books in general, and I´m glad my husband is happy when I´m happy about another bargain buy I managed to land...

Love
Ingrid

Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next