It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 33 Years Ago Today
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Owl

Hi Everyone,

I hope and pray you are all going great!

It was 33 years ago today that Elvis called me for the first time, as a birthday request from Starla. I was getting ready to go to work (at a drive thru photo mat) when my phone rang. He asked "Is this Miss McKenzie?" I said yes. "Miss JoAnna McKenzie" I said "Yes, who is this?" He said, "This is Elvis Presley, Ma'am, and I'm just callin to wish you a Happy Birthday". I said, "Who is this really?" (I knew it wasn't anyone I knew). Anyway, I finally realized it was Elvis and not an April Fool's joke by Starla. We talked for over an hour. It was 1975, it was my 19th birthday. He asked me how old I was that day. I lied and said I had turned 20 (I didn't want to be too young for him to be friends with). I went to work and he called me again. I put up my "Out to Lunch" signs and sat on the floor. During this conversation, he asked me again how old I had turned. I knew by the way he said it, that he knew the truth, so I told him the truth, I was 19. He said he did some checking. I was nervous. I had lied to him, how would he react to that? I told him why I had lied. He laughed and said it was OK, he enjoyed talking to me. I never lied to Elvis again.

That was the beginning of our beautiful friendship. Thank you Starla, for seeing something in me that you thought he would like. That was the best birthday present I have ever received.

As I look back today, it seems like another lifetime ago, or as if it had happened to someone else. When I look through all my letters and poems, look at my jewelry, look at pictures, or listen to him talk to me (I have 1 tape of him talking to me), it takes me right back to that time, so long ago. I don't know what he saw in me. He said I was pretty and smart. He liked my voice and my laugh and giggle. Whatever it was that kept him interested, I am grateful. He brought me so much happiness. He was so tender and wise. He was funny and protective. He was loving and spiritual. I treasure those years, months and days I had with him. I treasure all my memories. I love him and miss him very much. I still feel him with me tho, especially at night, when it's quiet.

Love to all of you,

JoAnna

Last edited by JoAnna on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 pm 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOANNA!!!! :D :D :D

And how can we thank you enough for this wonderful, wonderful story?!
You put a smile on my face...I hope you don't mind, but I'm just imagining I was you :wink:....and you made my day happier. Thank you!

Hope your birthday is magical!!! Thank you for sharing it with us :D

Love,
Trish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:59 pm 
:cry: Joanna Thank You for Sharing these Precious Memories to someone like me that can only Dream of being Blessed enough to have TALKED TO ELVIS, you have Brought Me to Tears! :cry: FairyTale! :bday: :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAREST JOANNA!!! :D :D (A) Sweet Trish you took the words right out of my mouth. :wink: :P JoAnna dear angel we can't thank you enough for sharing this precious story with all of us!!! :D :D May your special day be filled with all of the JOY, LIGHT and LOVE you so richly deserve and that you showed to our dear Elvis!!! :bday: :hello: :love: :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:49 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Happy Birthday, dear Joanna and thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us!!! :D :bday: :hello:

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Happy Birthday JoAnna, and many more happy days ahead! 33 years, boy...you're still a kid to me- even looking at that number since then!
I remember the first time I saw you, Starla brought you home with her and was so proud to have me meet you because she "picked you" to meet her Elvis...I want you to know JoAnna YOU are the only one she EVER did that for-she NEVER ever introduced him to anyone else-at all. Period. So whatever it was as you say, it had to have been something even she at her young age, knew her Elvis would like and maybe he needed at the time. She said she was telling you all she knew so you could "handle him" and it must have been enough instruction because he was handled right at that time. He never said anything about you to me other than you were a sweet girl and he corrected himself and said, "young woman - a lady all ready" I remember thinking what does that mean? A lady all ready...? Then it registered he meant you were not "coming on to him because of "Elvis" and that you could talk to him like an adult and a nice young woman which he liked for them to do and so often they didn't, they'd "lose it" he said, then had to explain what he meant wasn't "they would lose it to-to-eh-to me, you know?" I recall laughing at him for thinking I might think that! But that's what he heard all the time so it was "natural" for him to think someone might think that was on his mind etc:... Poor guy, thousands of women would have loved to "lose it" where he was concerned. Tongue in cheek comment please.
Anyway, you're still that sunny and beautiful young woman who came in our door and ended up hanging about eating pizza and watching tv late at night with my daughter. you were a fine role model for her and maybe she was good for you too because she was wise for her age also... Part of the "plan" as he would say. " It's the Plan...it workes it's self out and ya better follow it...or it'll whip your ass sooner or later..." I wish I could remember exactly what he said when I first asked, "where does this Plan come from and who exactly makes it?" It was a long discussion with him taking both sides...I hardly said anything I remember that. But he had all the details and it sounded right... He told me, always have two ways out of whatever it is...don't just think one way through-have two in case you need a back up plan...he got that from his career-they always had two plans in case something happened- two ways out. He wanted to live where he had two ways in and out and always tried to do that. But then he was "Elvis" so he needed an escape plan...or two. Works in real life too though...wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm 
Wanda June Hill wrote:
Poor guy, thousands of women would have loved to "lose it" where he was concerned. Tongue in cheek comment please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all these illuminating details, Wanda. Makes us appreciate Joanna even MORE! :D (And your Starla always sounds so incredibly wise, too...must get it from her mom.) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:28 pm 

Happy Birthday Joanna and I have no doubt Elvis was with you on your special day and is always around watching out for you.

I am forever grateful that he had someone like you and Wanda in his life.

Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Golden Sky wrote:
Wanda June Hill wrote:
Poor guy, thousands of women would have loved to "lose it" where he was concerned. Tongue in cheek comment please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all these illuminating details, Wanda. Makes us appreciate Joanna even MORE! :D (And your Starla always sounds so incredibly wise, too...must get it from her mom.) :D

I say a resounding AMEN to what you have said here dear Trish!!! :wink: :D :D BIG HUGS to our dear JoAnna, Wanda and Starla!!! :hug: :D :wink: :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Happy Birthday JoAnna! This is from Suzy who had a "good day" and when I told her it was your birthday and about the story, she remembered the Long Beach Concert, sitting in front row and getting a scarf from Elvis who called her "Baby", his pet name for his mother and later, after Suzy and he began having serious conversations, he called her "Baby" too. She said to tell you - you're "still Young and Beautiful"! wjh

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next