It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aron or Aaron ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:27 pm 
Pharaoah

I found this on www.elvis.com

Elvis was named after his father, Vernon Elvis Presley, and Mr. Presley's good friend in Tupelo, Aaron Kennedy. Aron was the spelling the Presleys chose, apparently to make it similar to the middle name of Elvis' stillborn identical twin, Jesse Garon Presley. Jesse was apparently named after Vernon's father, Jessie Presley, although the spelling was slightly different.

Toward the end of his life, Elvis sought to change the spelling of his middle name to the traditional and biblical Aaron. In the process he learned that official state records had inexplicably listed it as Aaron, and not Aron as on his original birth records. Knowing Elvis' plans for his middle name, Aaron is the spelling his father chose for Elvis' tombstone, and it's the spelling his estate has designated as the official spelling when the middle name is used today.

Similarly, there is some slight confusion regarding the spelling of Jesse Garon's name. Most reliable resources have the spelling as Jesse. However, near the graves of Elvis, his parents and his grandmother at Graceland is a marker the family placed in memory of Elvis' twin, but the spelling is Jessie for reasons we have yet to determine. Jesse Garon's actual grave site is in Tupelo, MS where it has always been, but it remains unmarked by a tombstone. Lack of money in the family's early years was likely the reason. Then, once Elvis became wealthy and famous, the grave, which is in a public cemetery, remained unmarked most likely in the interest of privacy. Because of the spelling on the marker at Graceland, we tend to use the spelling Jessie to avoid confusion.

Post subject: names
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that information- I had not read that before but then have been living in a big hole in the ground for nearly 30 years-there's a lot I haven't read! I don't know if Elvis ever did have Jessie moved-he said he wanted to do that- to put him with his momma however, I can't say that he did. When we were at Graceland only his grave was there the first time-the second time there were he and his mom and I must have seen the marker for his brother-I can't really recall the details of being there. It was pretty emotional and we were rushed along too. Mainly, I recall how much emotion was coming from everyone there-some crying, some praying and all were feeling overcome in one way or another. We three each had a rose so we left one on each instead of putting all three on Elvis' as there were many flowers for him...all the way outside the fence and down the pathway also. A very long line waited to get in and everyone was hurried along. We spent more time across the street and if we go back, I do hope it will be during an off season (if there is one) and get to linger more at certain areas. I felt his presence going up the drive and in front of the Lions and steps...my daughter and Grandma Suzy did also-and we truly enjoyed seeing his home-it was just that then- felt like a home-full of love and very peaceful. I hope it's still the same. wjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:33 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Strange huh, I felt his presence too. Mainly in the house. Not so much at the gravesite

ELVIS - Did you ever know you were my hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

WONDER IF HE'S EVEN BURIED THERE? :roll:

I heard from someone (can't remember who) that he is actually buried under the Jesus statue. But maybe he is "elsewhere"....although somehow I think not. Vernon may have put him under the statue to thwart grave robbers, but he would have wanted him in proximity with the rest of the family.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]