It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: If Elvis Came To Your House For Dinner What Would You Make?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 pm 
Sun Dial

The good members of ELC come from all over the world and different parts of the United States. I was thinking about how Elvis loved his good, downhome southern cooking. Then I got to thinking that if I knew him when he was alive what would I cook for him if he came to my house.

Would you make him something that represents your part of the world or corner of the US or would you try to make him something southern that you know he'd love? I don't think I could make him southern food because, A) I don't know what half the southern food is, such as black eyed peas, grits or some of the other things commonly cooked down south. B) I wouldn't have any idea how to cook those things. I'd be afraid I ruin them. :lol: I need to know how the heck you make gravy without having meat juices? Southerners like their bisquits and gravy, but how do you make gravy if you don't have chicken or beef for the juices?

I think I would make him something that is common in New England. I know he didn't like fish, but I wonder if he would have liked lobster, clams or corn chowder. Maybe, yankee pot roast, only I would use a better cut of meat instead of a chuck roast. Perhaps I would have left out the yankee in yankee pot roast. Ha ha. If I made that for him he would have gravy, but probably not the kind he was used to. For dessert I would make him something with apples and cinnamon. We have tons of recipies that call for both ingredients. We pour maple syrup over our carrots while they are still hot with some butter. I bet he'd like that.

Anyway, what would you serve to him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:47 am 
Sun Dial

I have had yorkshire pudding and it's yummy. Elvis would have loved that because of the gravy. Your idea's sound so good.

Do try the maple syrup and butter over carrots. It really is tasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: Did Y'ALL CALL MY NAME? Well I would have to say the First Dish would be Pork Cops, and Smashed Tatters as Our Elvis would say. I would have him some Good Southern Pan Gravy, Biscuits and Corn Bread, For Dessert his Cheese Cake which I Dearly Love to Ambrosia Salad. If he wanted Grits then them to, and even a Meat Loaf to I know he Loved that also. Some Corn on the Cob with Real Butter! Hows that? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 pm 
Pharaoah

I'm from the UK, so I'd cook him one of our famous fry ups :D, including sausage, eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms, tin tomatoes and nice piece of fried bread and dollop of Heinze Tomato Ketchup :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:32 pm 

Since I don't cook it would have to be take out LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 pm 
Sun Dial

Emma, that looks so good. I rarely eat fried food, but if I did I would be in the kitchen cooking that for myself NOW. :lol: Is that meat that looks like ham on the plate a type of bacon that you have over there? That looks so good I can almost smell it. I don't eat bacon (mostly because I would eat a whole pound of it in one sitting) but I adore the smell of it. It's funny that I will treat myself each year on vacation and have bacon & eggs over medium. While we were in Hawaii I ordered my bacon almost burnt. (who does that sound like?) The crispier the better. Oh darn, now I want some bacon. I will not give in, I will not give in. :lol:

Di, I hear Elvis loved take out BBQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm 
Pharaoah

Laura wrote:
Is that meat that looks like ham on the plate a type of bacon that you have over there?

Nope, its bacon, in the UK we have bacon and smoked bacon, the smoked bacon come across as really salty though :)

Post subject: grandma does not like to cook but..........
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Now that is mostly just Walter and I a good day is one when I do not have to cook but for Elvis....I would make baked ham, both sweet potatoes and mashed white potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, green beans, fresh bakery rolls, sliced cucumbers and I would have bakery fresh pecan pie, lemon and strawberry tarts and ice cream for after supper.
For snacking I would have popcorn, chips, Pepsi and some assorted nuts and nonchocolate candy.
I love Elvis and I would cook and buy from the bakery and my baked ham is very good.
I think Elvis would like it. :?: :?:
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:28 am 
Owl

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I haven't posted here for some time, because of personal circumstances; however, this lovely website drew me back.

Hello to all, especially Wanda :hug: :D

If Elvis was coming to dinner, I'd find out what he likes.

I'd cook a Peach Cobbler, a Banana Cream Pie (I like that one, lol); my regular meatloaf, that is similar to the one I researched that he liked, but mine has a coffee (plus other ingredients) sauce covering her, which is yummy.

If he preferred Southern Cooking, I'd simply do that! lol

Some chicken wings ........ and some hugs ........ lol

I'd try some cornbread, and cook up some veges, and also have available some seasonal fruits too. Mangoes and strawberries for this time of year.

A nice coffee, how he likes it.

Our Australian Fair, except for grits (which I can't find here) and the peas which I haven't tried to cook yet, nor noticed in the shops, I'd like to try.

For further meals, take out pork chops perhaps, and replace them with lamb, to make it Australian (which Australia is famous for); (although I'd have to learn how to cook a steak well, which won't be too difficult, I'd hope! lol).

I would hope that I may be able to add some loving company, to help the food go down well!

Please take care,
Kim
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

You all are making me hungry!

Boiled potatoes, cubed and cooked tender, then pour off the water and mash with cream, butter and seasoning. Southern style-
Pork chops in a heavy big iron skillet, braised to brown on both sides, then a little water poured in, heavy lid put over all and steam them until tender, then turn up the fire, dust them with a little flour and brown them quickly on both sides. Remove, cover to stay hot and use the skillet to make "milk gravy"- more flour, stir into dirppings (add a little bacon grease if any saved or use a tad of butter) and brown the flour, stirring well. Add to this salt and pepper, and have ready 3 cups of milk to stir quickly into the flour mixture. Stir constantly so it won't lump and cook over medium heat until the gravey begans to bubble and thicken. (If it doesn't get thick, stir up a couple table spoons of corn startch in a little water and add to the mix stirl constantly as it will thickin fast. This works in all gravies- and can be used instead of flour - I use it all the time.)
And of course one must have polk salad greens mixed with some spinich if desired, with bits of bacon mixed in for flavor. Drain well before serving. And most Southerners like candied sweet potatoes- peel, cut into chunks, boil until just barely tender, drain, place into a hot skillet with butter and a mix of brown and white sugar, stir all until potato's are covered, cover tightly and turn heat down to just at a medium. Stir them every little bit, to keep from burning them and when the sugar and butter mix is sticky and clear, turn off the heat and let them set up. I use just brown sugar but some like it mixed with white.
And of course, either pecan pie or apple pie with real vanilla icecream or whipped cream might do the trick too.
And to drink- well, Pepsi or lemonade....
He'd be ready to eat I'm sure- but then he was having to be careful what he ate and how much of it he could "get by with" eating too. soooo
wjh
Chick peas were a favorite too, and I have to say, they are good cooked southern style.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next