It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help-The Letter By Wayne Newton Question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:28 pm 
Sun Dial

I Have heard this song before, but don't know the full story. He turned Elvis' heartbreaking words into a song and that a maid found it in the trash while she was cleaning. That's all I know about it. Does anyone here know the full story about this? When did she find Elvis' letter to God in the trash and was this found in Vegas? Oh Lord, it broke my heart listening to Wayne Newton Sing it. When did he turn it into a song and how much did he buy it for? Elvis was suffering so bad when he wrote it. I cried a river over it. Poor Elvis was asking God to take him home. I can almost feel his lonliness.

Thanks for your help.

Laura-Jean

Post subject: Re: Help-The Letter By Wayne Newton Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:32 pm 
Sun Dial

I should have posted a link, so people would know what I was talking about, so here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYjal0M ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm 
Phoenix

"The story goes that in his last engagement at the (Las Vegas) Hilton in December 1976, Elvis kept a pad by his bed, and wrote down his thoughts," Newton says. "This one night, he wrote especially personal thoughts, then crumpled it up and threw it away."
Wayne Newton says an aide retrieved the note after he saw Elvis throw it away. "When I asked the contents of it" Newton says, "I was so moved that I purchased it." The lyrics?
I feel so alone sometimes. The night is quiet for me. I'd love to be able to sleep. I am glad that everyone is gone now. I'll probably not rest. I have no need for all this. Help me, Lord.
Newton wrote his own song called, "The Letter". In it he sings his own lines -- "As I awake again today, the pain won't go away" -- but speaks the entire contents of Elvis' letter.
"It reflects a man reaching to the ultimate for help. Once I digested it and got over the shock, I realized that is was feelings that I, too, had had at times," he says. "I realized -- that kind of loneliness creeps into everybody's life." [USA Today, April 17, 1992, p. 2D]

The song lyrics are-

One more phone call from a friend
Just to say how hard it’s been
How their hopes and dreams have scattered
With the wind
They don’t see that I’m there too
How it breaks my heart in two
Just to make it through this night’s all I can do

Help me Lord
I need the sun to drive away
The shadows in my mind
Help me Lord
I need someone to guide me
When the path is hard to find
Even though the crowd surrounds me
I’m still standing all alone
When I know I can’t go on
Help me Lord

As I awake again today
And my pain won’t go away
And the face I have to wear
Shows a smile
Now my nights are so alone
I just wish I could go home
I don’t know if I can make it another mile

Help me Lord
The shadows in my mind
Please help me Lord
I’m still standing all alone
Help me Lord

I feel so alone sometimes
The night is quiet for me
I’d love to be able to sleep
I am glad that everyone is gone now
I’ll probably not rest tonight
I have no need for all of this
Help me Lord

Help me Lord
The shadows in my mind
Please help me Lord
God I am so all alone
Help me Lord

Won’t you come and take me home
Help me Lord

Found this after a 'wee' search. I cried buckets too Laura ...........puts me in mind of "Men With Broken Hearts" which Elvis used to start "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". Thanks for posting the link :hug:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:04 am 
Sun Dial

Marian, thank you ever so much for putting the words to this song down for us. I think that not in those exact words though that I have felt that kind of lonliness a time or two. What comes to my mind is when I lost four immediate family members in one month. My dad on 11/1/96, my grandmother on 11/8/96, my father-in-law on 11/16/96 and my mom on 11/22/96. They all died from different causes. So, I can relate to those depths of despair. Haven't we all felt the way Elvis did at one time or another? :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Yes, thanks for posting this, Laura.
During his last Vegas engagement Elvis was very ill and he almost died of a heart attack if Larry Geller hadn't been by his side and helped him... :( so I don't wonder about the words Elvis wrote.... :?

"ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:01 pm 
Phoenix

Laura, I can't even begin to imagine how you must have felt losing 4 loved ones in such a short space of time.
Doesn't your heart just go out to Elvis - yes, I think we can all probably relate to how he was feeling to some degree.
I used to keep a diary/journal and wrote everything down...............how I was feeling emotionally...................it was very cathartic..............maybe I should start another. I didn't write every day, just when I felt I needed to, which was quite often at certain periods and not so much at others.
How true it is that you can be surrounded by people but still be lonely because there is just no-one that you can connect with emotionally and spiritually.
Love Marian :hug:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

That's right. Elvis said he had "felt lonely in crowds" and it bothered him to be a lone- he liked "knowing there's someone down there---" he said referring to being in his rooms upstairs at Graceland but he didn't want to "go down there all the time". He liked his upstairs and would have whomever he wanted come up there to have company but cherised his time there on his own doing what he wanted to do and not being distracted etc:. I think it was his main place of refuge from being Elvis Presley, there he was just that Presley boy and he enjoyed it. Thanks for posting all of this. wjh

I have a question about posts on the pm section- how does one delete things off there that one doesn't want to save? My box is getting full and I can't find any way to do that- delete doesn't come up anywhere that I can find. I haven't had enough time yet to learn the ways of this new forum set up but I like what I have learned so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm 
Sun Dial

Wanda June Hill wrote:
That's right. Elvis said he had "felt lonely in crowds" and it bothered him to be a lone- he liked "knowing there's someone down there---" he said referring to being in his rooms upstairs at Graceland but he didn't want to "go down there all the time". He liked his upstairs and would have whomever he wanted come up there to have company but cherised his time there on his own doing what he wanted to do and not being distracted etc:. I think it was his main place of refuge from being Elvis Presley, there he was just that Presley boy and he enjoyed it. Thanks for posting all of this. wjh

I have a question about posts on the pm section- how does one delete things off there that one doesn't want to save? My box is getting full and I can't find any way to do that- delete doesn't come up anywhere that I can find. I haven't had enough time yet to learn the ways of this new forum set up but I like what I have learned so far.

Wanda, As far as I can tell you need to go up to the very top left of the page your on and click on:

USER CONTROL PANEL- then click on:
RULES,FOLDERS & SETTINGS-then click on:
IF FOLDER FULL or ADD FOLDER, ETC.

This is the only way I can see to delete a full or almost full message box. I like that you can sub categorize your PM's into different folders. There's a few options there. Hope this helps. :)

Post subject: Re: Help with PM's
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:18 pm 
Phoenix

Hi Wanda, I had a look at mine and went to my Profile by clicking on my name. Click on PM:Send Private Message. Then instead of composng a new message you'll see 'Inbox' down the left-hand side - click on that. You'll see your messages and at the right side there are small boxes with MARK above, click on the boxes to select messages you want to delete. Underneath there is a 'drop-down', click on the arrow and you should see 'Delete Marked'.
Different method from Laura, but if one way doesn't work then you can try the alternative! Good luck :wink: :!:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:35 am 
Sun Dial

I seem to always pick the long way around things. :lol: If there's a shortcut to anything, you can bet that I will miss it by a mile. Yours sounds much easier Marian.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next