It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help Please from Anyone Who Has Been to Memphis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 am 
Phoenix

Hi there, Can anyone who has been lucky enough to go to Memphis help me out? My partner and I may be going to Memphis early April as long as I feel confident enough to leave my children in the care of their Granny!
I need some advice on where it is best to stay in Memphis - Downtown or near Graceland. Is it advisable to hire a car or is the public transport adequate?.........and if you can think of anything else that might be useful information then please let me know!!!
It has been a lifetime dream to go and now that it might be about to come true I kind of feel in some kind of limbo..........I don't want to talk about it too much incase it doesn't happen................. :? I haven't booked anything yet but it should be okay this time of year shouldn't it?

Post subject: Re: Help Please from Anyone Who Has Been to Memphis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:02 am 
:hello: Marian, I have yet Myself haven't been to Memphis and I Live a Whole Lot Closer then you. But I know of a Few that as been, and I know they well be more then Happy to help You. If and when you do go Please let us know how it was when you were in Memphis! :love:

Last edited by FairyTale on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:37 am 
Sun Dial

Marian, how exciting for you. I have never been either, but you can go to www.tripadvisor.com to see the reviews for the different hotels around Memphis. I have always said that when I go, I would like to stay at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Please let us know what happens with your plans. I am very excited for you. :bouncy: :bouncy:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 am 
Phoenix

:hello: Laura, Thanks for the link to 'trip advisor'! It's weird but I'm not excited yet - I keep thinking that something is going to happen to 'put the kybosh on it'. Anyway, I'm going to the local travel agents tomorrow to see prices, etc. I would love to stay at The Peabody too but I'm afraid our budget won't stretch to that, it's going to have to be somewhere clean, cheap and cheerful!!! Well, on second thoughts maybe not too cheap but more mid-range :!:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:37 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

Hello. Walter and I were in Memphis in January of 2004. We stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel which is very close to Graceland. It offers shuttle services to anyplace of interest in Memphis and all one needs is tip money.
We had a chilly time and I am glad I wore a heavy coat. A spring jacket would probably be good along with comfortable jeans and shoes.
The mansion does not allow one to take photos with a flash indoors. The Meditation Garden is an amazing place. The mansion itself is just as Elvis left it except of some "touches" the ex made.
At 7:30 in the morning Memphis time one is allowed to walk up the driveway and go to the Meditation Garden and stay until tours start at 8:30 in the a.m.
I would say tour Graceland on your own. You can stay all day and certainly then would not miss anything. The tour guides are talking into an ear piece one wears and that was a distraction for us and that is why I say to see Elvis' Graceland minus the guide.
I will look forward to reading your posts :D
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:12 pm 
Phoenix

Thanks for the info 73smile! Can you tell me if you have to book in advance to tour Graceland or can you just go along and pay on the day? I have read other people's reviews on the tours and most seem to be of the same opinion as you - just wander around, take your time and feel the vibes without distractions from earpieces.
I would like to take something to leave at Elvis' grave - is it okay to do that?.
Many thanks, Marian :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:27 pm 
Phoenix

Hi Ladies, Just got back from the travel agents about an hour ago - because I have left it so late there was very little availability left for flights and hotels - personally I would have liked to stay closer to Graceland but since I have Kevin travelling with me, I had to consider him too. He loves Elvis but not in the same way that I do so we thought that downtown would be better for him. I liked the thought of getting up every morning and going to the graveside for a while but I have booked the Marriot Downtown - honestly the guy in the travel agency was struggling to get anything at all. I guess it'll be a learning experience and I'll know better next time, if there is a next time. I could have booked flights only and taken a chance on booking a hotel online myself but I was not brave enough!
Also as of Jan 2009 the American Dept of Homeland Security have implemented a mandatory 'Electronic System for Travel Authorization' (ESTA) for visitors from countries which are part of the American Visa Waiver Program - it gives clearance to travel to the USA although it does not guarantee entry into the country - that remains up to Customs and Border Protection. It is done online but you need to give evidence of where you are staying and details of a return ticket so they know you will be leaving at some point! So, as time is running short I thought I'd just better book what was on offer.
Anyway, the main thing is that I'M GOING TO MEMPHIS :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
We leave April 7th and return the 16th. Wow, I cannot believe it :!: That's all for now, folks - my head is whirling................

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:05 pm 
Phoenix

I have decided to take with me a piece of green jade in the shape of a heart to put on Elvis' grave. I wanted to take something personal from me to leave there and I have had that piece of jade in my jewellery box for years.................."this gem is regarded as a symbol of the good, the beautiful and the precious. It embodies the Confucian virtues of wisdom, justice, compassion, modesty and courage, yet it also symbolizes the female-erotic. In ancient Egypt, jade was admired as the stone of love, inner peace, harmony and balance. In other regions and cultures too, jade was regarded as a lucky or protective stone" - just thought that was appropriate for Elvis. :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:28 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

You will enjoy your visit very, very much. I would not ask permission of anyone to place the jade on Elvis' physical grave. Just leave it among the winter grave blankets/flowers that will still be there. You will need to rent a car if not staying at Heartbreak Hotel, I believe.
At any rate have the best time of your life and no you do not need to get an appointment to go to Graceland. Just go to the center gift area and buy the ticket and go when a shuttle comes and stay until it closes. I do not believe you will ever feel the same ever again. :bouncy:
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 am 
Phoenix

Thankyou........I know this visit to Graceland is going to have a most profound effect on my life and I know I will probably go through the whole gamut of emotions while I am there. Ever since I was a little girl it has been my dream and I just hope I can get a grip on my feelings and take it all in. As you say, we can stay all day so that will give us the time to soak it all up. I will keep you all posted! :hug:

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next