It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Marian Cocke's I Called Him Babe Has Been Re-printed
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:52 am 
Sun Dial

I have wanted this book for the longest time, but it's a wee bit expensive for a used 1979 copy. Here is the link:

www. mariancocke.com

Post subject: Re: Marian Cocke's I Called Him Babe Has Been Re-printed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am 
:hello: Laura I'm like you, I have seen a lot of Books that do look Good about Elvis but are so very expencive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:03 pm 
:hello: I didn't know Marian had a web site either, Thanks RainBowLight for Letting us know this. I well have to check it out! :love:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 am 
Sun Dial

I purchased this newly reprinted book directly from Mrs. Cocke. It is WONDERFUL! All you have to do is send her a $20 check and she will autograph it and get it right out to you. She had such a special relationship with Elvis and tell it so well.

Hope everyone here is well. I have been popping around to lurk, but it has been sooo quiet here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I loved reading her memories too, she is a real person and he needed those in his life. I think he trusted her with his secrets, at least some of them and revealed the inner man. That was my feeling when I read her book. She was one of his blessings, and though he didn't mention her name when he spoke of some things and hospitals and the care he received etc; there and at home, he never said a bad word and was appreciative, glad to have people who tried to understand him, etc:.
Nice to be back here and to see you've been "a round" some. It is quiet, but it's been that way at other times and then picked up. I think people are too busy trying to make ends meet these days. Lots of people have had to give up the internet etc; to get by. Some don't have television for the same reason-not even local these days either. A lady I barely know who lives around the bend and over the mountain from us had to sell her car and she walks 3 1/2 miles to the bus stop to get to a part time job that barely pays- and it's one that is a split shift so she has to find a place to "hang out" (like a shade tree) between shifts. I gave her a lift to the bus stop she said, but when I found out she was working just a few blocks from where I was heading, I took her on to town. So got the story a bit---it's hard to handle some of the things going on. Any way, I hope those who do come here can find some laughs and feel good moments- we all need those type things.
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 am 
Sun Dial

Actually, I have been so busy helping my friend and neighbor settle the estate of a cousin of her's that passed away. We had to clear out this woman's place. She was a pack rat and it took forever. She did have some beautiful stuff though. I was given some lovely antiques and many pieces of jewelry. We have had a heat wave here and it was tough lugging, hauling and clearing everything out. I joke that I started out looking like Olive oil and now I look like popeye from the muscle's I've gained. :lol: She must have had at least 1500 articles of beautiful clothing that I gave to many women her age that could use it. They were so grateful and it made me feel wonderful. I lugged home twenty supersized contractors (huge garbage bags) bags full of these clothes and they were gone within days. She had hardly worn them if at all. She was a shop-aholic, whom was mostly stranded at home. She would spend a lot of her time on those shopping channels and in the last month before she died she ran up credit card bills in excess of $8,000. Yikes.

The poor soul was about blind and had many health conditions. One day she was supposed to go out with her friends and when they didn't hear from her they called 911. The officers found her face down in her bathtub. It seems she went in to use the bathroom, had a massive heart attack and fell into the tub hitting her face on the spigot. The poor thing was in there for over twenty four hours dead in a heat wave with no AC running.

It was surreal cleaning out someone else's personal belongings. I felt like I was intruding, but I think she knows that we did so respectfully and gave many of her things to people that could really use them. We gave quite a few things to an institute for the blind and as I said we gave all of her never or barely worn clothing to women who could really use them. There were so many things we gave away. We gave the blind institute some furniture because they set blind people up in new apartments and they always need donations. I think she would be proud. I love antiques, so I think she knows that I will take great care of the one's I now have.

Anyway, that's where I have been. I hope everyone here is well. Wanda, it so good to see you here again. You have been sorely missed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, what a wonderful neighbor you are to help take care of her finale things and to give them to worthy causes- she IS proud I am certain. We can't help how we end up sometimes, and it's tough when older people are at home alone. It is typical that there would be a high case of credit debt because the tv people become their friends so often. And when one has means to use credit it's easy- the other end is only interested in sales usually and don't notice or want to notice who's ordering. It happened to our friend who left us her horse and dog- she had huge credit card bills too, and sadly, she had received much of it, though it kept coming even after they were notified she had passed away! Money talks...even credit card "air" money! We had to send a lot of things back and some were never refunded because they could get away with it having taken it out of her account before her death! Anyway, you are a blessing on two legs friend and will receive blessing back. That's a given! It has happened that way for us many times...like it is said, "Throw out your loaf and you'll get it back,..dripping and running over" added our friend E. when something was mentioned about his "charity" and good deeds etc:... it was a laugh he went for, "dripping and running over" from being "tossed out to sea..." Joker that he was... a real clown inside that "Hollywood body/smile". It is told by our Grandma Suzy, that Elvis when asked what his "clown" name might be...with out a moment for reflection he responded, "Look- OUT!" And when questioned why that he said something along the line of "because incoming blessings would require one to duck... In his case, you bet! And maybe in yours as well!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]