It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: And your favorite gospel sung by Elvis is??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

A friend called today to tell me of an experience she had in church this morning and it got me to thinking what gospel sung by Elvis is my favorite. I have to admit that I can not pick one as all of his gospel recordings are favorites of mine. I have "The Essential Gospel" CD in my car but I also have other gospels by Elvis to listen to when driving. I like his arrangement of "Run On" because the words are so specific and so very true. I can not pick a favorite.
How about our ELC family and if you have a favorite please tell us why.
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

Post subject: Re: And your favorite gospel sung by Elvis is??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter loves "You'll Never Walk Alone" because she says it gives her strength and hope and when she's stewing over something she has to fix at work, she likes to listen to it before she goes to sleep. She plays his gospel cd every night and falls asleep before it completes and shuts off most of the time. She says that You'll Never Walk Alone is the one that empowers her and she knows she can handle anything that comes along in her job etc. And she does, I sure couldn't do her job! Too many people to deal with and who leave you high and dry at times, so she has to get the thing done and delivered etc and make the amends for whatever it is to whom ever got shafted or what ever. And she always does it right and ends up getting a better sale or making a friend that will make sales easier down the road.
I like In The Garden and I Believe- those are my favorites and often bring me to tears. He does them with such strength, emotion and heart and he is praying and praising his Lord i think, when he sings them-as he does so many of them. The day he died I was like numb for a while, and I had not turned on the stereo which was in Starla's room. It was on but barely could be heard in the living room where I had spent most of the day answering the phone and watching the news streams from Memphis. Well, all of a sudden I could hear Elvis singing, it was I Believe and then in The Garden... I went in to the stereo and found that the station was playing requests and the dj said after in The Garden was ended, "these two songs were for all the people in Southern Calf. who love Elvis, these are the only ones we have here right now. " That kind of startled me because those two songs were the ones that I and a couple of other friends who knew him, had told him were their favorites. And for that dj to say that, and besides that, it wasn't a station that played gospel any day at all, but they had those two????
Anyway, I had cold chills run down my spine and I felt that it was "a sign"... maybe. Stranger things have happened. wjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 pm 
I'm like you Ladies I Love all of the Gospel Songs that Elvis Sings, but I think the 2 that really Stand Out for me are the Songs How Great Thou Art, and If That isn't Love. Those 2 send Chills up and Down My Spine, when he does those Songs I Get the Goose Bumps! I also Love Amazing Grace that I'm Listening to Right Now! :hug:

Last edited by FairyTale on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:22 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

That would have sent me more than chills, Wanda!! Just shows Elvis was not and is not gone---just his pain-filled physical body has died.
I like so many and "Garden" was played at Madelynn's Aunt Ardith's funeral as it was her favorite.
I like "So High/How Great/Peace in the Valley/Amazing Grace and so many others.
73smile

Herodotes Greek historian 484-432 BC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:40 am 
Sun Dial

I love many of his gospel songs, but "Known Only to Him" was the first one to come to mind. I also love "Lead Me, Guide Me," "Where No One Stands Alone" (always seems so appropriate for Elvis), and "Who Am I." That last one brought me to tears the first time I heard it. Too many others to mention. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:36 am 
:hello: Its Nice to Hear from you Wanda Mc! :love:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]