It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Is Elvis French?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

I should imagine every fan in the world would like to believe Elvis has ancestry from their part of the globe, that's kinda natural in a way! I don't necessarily believe the next article but thought it would be of interest to share all the same...

Astonishing, challenging, thought-provoking, power-packed? Could Elvis be FRENCH?

On first sight, this seems ridiculous, but hear us out. The point was raised by an Elvis fan who signed herself "Sue", and lives in Cardiff, Wales. She has gone into this matter thoroughly and her facts are so convincing that, as much as we would like to think of Elvis being of Welsh blood, it seems very possible that he may be of French ancestry; which should thrill our Continental friends out of this world.

Here is what Sue says:

Quote:
As you know, the roots of names reveal a great deal, if it is possible to trace them back, for by this method it is usually possible to discover the original form of the name, and so determine when and where it became corrupt.

After a great deal of research in books dealing with name-derivations I can report the following:-
Elvis, in its unadulterated form, is a very old Scandinavian name ALVISS meaning All-Wise. However, just as Jacques was transferred to English as Jack, Alviss was corrupted in French to Elvis. In fact, and many of you may not be aware of this, there is indeed a minor French Saint called St. Elvis! He was probably from Northern France, hence the connection with the Welsh village mentioned last onth, as there are many linguistic similarities and points of contact between Brittany and Wales.

Aron is, of course, a form of Biblical name, Aaron.

His surname however, is very interesting. It springs from an English root name, Preostleah, meaning, "a dweller in the priest's meadow". Another form of the name as we have it now is Priestley - this is how the name has survived in English. The softening of the name suggests that this is another French corruption.

Where does this lead? I think it shows something of Elvis' ancestry, and I would suggest that it proves his desent fro those early French settlers in the Southern States, known to all students of American history. Extra weight to my point is added, when one thinks of the enormous French influence shown by the many French place names of the region:- Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Abbeville, Lafayette, etc etc....

Did one of those early settlers then, bear a family name to be handed down from generation to generation until it got to you-know-who? And that Elvis' physical characteristics, his dark hair, skin colour etc, suggesting that he is of Mediterraean origin - is that an added pointer?

However obscure may be the past history of the name, one thing is certain. It's owner, Elvis Presley, has made sure that it will be remembered for many centuries to come!

Post subject: Re: Is Elvis French?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:24 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: :D It could be that Elvis did have French Blood, if I know him he would have said will Shoot I got a Little of Everything in Me! :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:) :P :lol: :hello: :love:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:15 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Can't you Hear him Say That? :lol: He Probsaly wouldn't of said Shoot Either! :lol: :P :love:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Oh yes I can for sure! :wink: :P

Quote:
He Probsaly wouldn't of said Shoot Either!

No I bet he wouldn't! :wink: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:lol: :hello: :love:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

I think that he could be French as there were lots of French people in the southern states-and blood was intermixed. All his relatives he said, were from the Southern states-he liked to say he was pure bred-Southerner, but he also said he had a mixture of American bloodlines too. He would joke about his looks, saying if he was tan enough he could "pass" for several different types like, Mexican, Spanish, Arabic, Black, etc:....and that with "these lips, eyelids and nose" who'd question? But he would go back to the fact he was naturally a dishwater blond with fair skin, blue eyes etc:...and then joke that when "God made him, he couldn't make up his mind what he was lookin' for" and then said he thought God might of made a mistake-that he "ought to have been a big black guy singin' bass". I have read a few other people's comments about him saying something about he should have been a black bass singer etc; and always laugh because I remember how he teased about his looks-and he never would admit that he was truly "handsome" -it bothered him I think when people raved over that- he knew he looked good, but he always found fault with his looks to cover up his insecurity about why he was who he was-ELVIS! He didn't realize that insecurity only endeared him to people more! wjh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

Very interesting. I'm a little surprised, though, that the fan did know Elvis' hair was dyed dark, and to me his skin is fairly light when not tanned. So I personally would not think Elvis as naturally having the meditarranean look, but, of course, he does have that appearance with the dyed hair and solid tan.
I've also read another piece claiming Elvis as having Scottish descent, with some Dutch thrown in if I recall.
Elaine Dundy did some good research too on Elvis' ancestory, though I think the focus was on his mother's side.
He does have American Indian blood, with White Morning Dove (or is it just Morning Dove?) as an ancestor. Some Jewish too on his mother's side.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: :lol: I knew some of what Elvis thought of his Looks, that Wanda as told us. But I never knew the rest of Elvis said, and Yes Blue Moon Elvis did have some Scottish and Cherokee Indian Blood, plus some Jewish Blood to. I think it was White Morning Dove that was Elvis Great- Gereat Grand Mother. :hug:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello:
Wow! Thanks, ladies, for your varied and very interesting feedback on my posting above! Have quite a few Elvis Monthlies from times past and think it's a good idea to bring them back, don't know why I didn't think of this before!! :roll: :wink: :P

Quote:
He didn't realize that insecurity only endeared him to people more!

That is sooooooooooo very true, Wanda! A big ole Amen to this in particular! :) :D :P

with love, Sue

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next