It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Elvs what happened ? 34 years later
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:35 pm 
Flame

NASHVILLE SKYLINE: Will Elvis Presley See Revenge Against Media Mogul Rupert Murdoch?
The Australian Press Baron's Hatchet Job on Elvis May Have Helped Kill the King
July 14, 2011; Written by Chet Flippo
(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)

In case you have missed it, there is a very messy and convoluted media scandal underway in the United Kingdom involving Australian media mogul Rupert Murdoch. What it essentially boils down to is this: Murdoch's News of the World tabloid -- which has been the best-selling tabloid paper in the English-speaking world -- has hired detectives over the years to hack into the cell phones of thousands of politicians, celebrities and other prominent people.

That practice turned deadly toxic with the newspaper turning to hacking into the cell phones of ordinary citizens, including a missing 13-year-old girl (who was murdered), the families of London train bombings terrorism victims and families of slain soldiers in Iraq.

The scandal has forced Murdoch to shut down the News of the World. It has also dragged British prime minister David Cameron, his government and the London police into the morass. It developed that the News of the World was bribing members of the police. The scandal could bring down the government. There is widespread speculation in the UK that this could break up Murdoch's empire there, which includes the London Times, the Sunday Times, the Sun and a 39 percent interest in pay TV conglomerate BSkyB, which Murdoch had been attempting to buy outright until this hacking scandal finally forced him to back away. His holdings in the U.S. include the New York Post, the Fox Network, Fox News on cable TV and the Wall Street Journal. You will recall that Murdoch is also the man who paid $580 million for MySpace in 2005. He sold MySpace a few weeks ago in June for $30 million.

I first became aware of Murdoch and his creeping media tentacles in the early 1970s when I lived in Austin and regularly read the newspapers from Texas' leading and more influential -- or most interesting -- newspapers. They included the San Antonio News and the San Antonio Express, which were suddenly acquired by the Australian press impresario Rupert Murdoch in 1973 as his launching pad into American journalism.

He later combined both newspapers as the San Antonio Express-News, but early on, he instructed the News staff to turn the paper into a "screamer." And the paper soon did so. With a vengeance. The staff began introducing Murdoch's patented tabloid formula of sensationalism, sex, celebrities, crime and corruption. The facts be damned.

The first visible signs that an Oz takeover was underway in San Antonio was in a series of alarmist Killer Bee headline stories in the News. As in "Killer Bees En Route to Texas." More followed: "Armies of Insects Marching on S.A.," "Aliens Fought Over Urine in Desert Battle," "Uncle Tortures Tot With Hot Fork" and "Vampire Killer Stalks City."

The News also continued Murdoch's hostility to rock 'n' roll. When word came that the Rolling Stones' San Antonio concert in 1975 would feature a giant inflatable phallus onstage, the News editorialized on the subject and heavily pressured San Antonio's city government and police department to bust the Stones for obscenity if they showed the large structure onstage. After the city flooded the venue with police, police dogs and vice squad agents aplenty, the Stones relented and did not show the biggus dickus onstage -- the only time that that happened on their 1975 Tour of the Americas.

That kind of institutionalized anti-rock company policy may well have been what led to the book that may have helped to kill Elvis Presley.

The 1977 book Elvis: What Happened? was a very messy tell-all expose, based entirely on interviews with three of Elvis' formerly trusted aides and bodyguards who had recently been fired by Elvis' father Vernon as part of a cost-cutting operation. The bodyguards, the brothers Red and Sonny West and Dave Hebler, felt betrayed after being summarily dismissed after years of what they regarded as devotion to the King. They seemed to seek revenge. And they got it in Elvis: What Happened?

"We lost money," Murdoch told Esquire magazine in 2008 in talking about the New York Post's finances. "Until one of our reporters wrote the 'true story' of Elvis Presley. We said we would serialize it, and it came out the day Presley died, completely by coincidence."

The installments had actually been planned to run later, but Elvis' sudden death prompted Murdoch to pounce. The New York Post began printing installments from the book the day that Elvis died. The first headline read, "New Book Tells of His Decline in Drug Nightmare."

Objectively speaking, the book was a true Murdoch hatchet job. It laid out all of Elvis' dirty laundry that you didn't want -- or need -- to know. And it was all hearsay from the three bodyguards. No other sources are cited in the book at all. There are no voices to answer for Elvis. The book's copyright is by Murdoch's News Corporation. It became a best-seller, and the profits went to Murdoch's News Corporation, not to the author. It was written by Steve Dunleavy, a hard-drinking, controversial Australian reporter greatly favored by Murdoch.

I did some lengthy interviews with Dunleavy (who has since died) for a story in Rolling Stone about the life and practices of a sensationalist tabloid journalist. Dunleavy proved to be the perfect example of a Rupert Murdoch mad-dog journalist, for whom anything goes to get a story. He told me that when he was once competing with his father -- also an Australian reporter -- on a crime story, Steve slashed his father's tires to prevent him from getting to the crime scene.

When I met with Steve, he was then working for Murdoch's grimy New York Post, as well as writing a column for Murdoch's Star supermarket tabloid, and all of our interviews seemed to somehow end up taking place in Manhattan bars. I learned a lot of tabloid journalism tips from Steve. For example: "You know, Chet, when we write about an actress's 'charms,' that's shorthand for 'tits.'" He was serious.

Dunleavy told me the assignment to do the Elvis book came from the very top. When I pressed him about his financial arrangements about the book, Dunleavy would only say, "Mr. Murdoch took care of me very well for the book."

Steve would not say if he or the Post had paid for interviews with the three bodyguards for the project. Given the Murdoch empire's lengthy history of buying interviews and paying out bribes, I suspect that was very likely the case. There were no cell phones back then, so they couldn't have been hacked. But Dunleavy didn't really need phone hacking. He got his dirt straight from Elvis' former guys.

For the first time, the book revealed the full extent of Elvis' complete and total dependence on a long list of prescription drugs. And it was not a pretty story. It was a virtual pharmacopia of drugs and other sundry and tawdry personal details about Elvis.

Close Elvis associates have said the book had a devastating effect on Presley. He read portions of an advance copy of it, became alternately depressed and enraged and was agitated to the point of talking about luring Red and Sonny to Graceland and then killing them.

The book was published in early August of 1977. Elvis died on the floor of his bathroom in Graceland two weeks later, on Aug. 16, 1977.

Rupert Murdoch: Anything for a buck.

(Source Elvis Info Net)

Last edited by Liliane on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Elvs what happened 34 years later
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: I Think this is Just Fantastic, that Elvis is getting the Justice he as So Deserved for so Long. I hope that through this, that More People that Believed that Liein' and Trashy Book will finally see how it was so Untrue. :love:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

yep, it's too bad it took 30 plus years after his death to do it. Elvis was very hurt, then angry and he said some cutting things about them, they had betrayed him, and he felt laid out there "naked for all to see" that he was a human being, and too, some of their stories were just that...and a lot of it was things they
didn't have a real clue about, such as his health problems and what he had to take and do just to be on stage performing and not just at the end, but throughout his life he had physical problems... but he kept most of it quiet and
he didn't tell his 'buddies' much because he knew there would be some who would
talk... that's human nature he said, people slip up and tell things they know
better'n to tell, but they want to look good, so they talk." He was right, his body hadn't 'cooled' when they were talking their faces off...using their drugged up mind account of what they thought went on... after all, if they did...he had to also, right? Yes he took medication, in order to stay alive and be able to do
his job... they took 'medication' to have fun and indulge in 'after hours activities'
with whomever their conquest or conquest's were for those after hours...and
there were plenty of conquests... anything to maybe " get to meet Elvis..."
as he said, "Lord, don't they know it ain't gonna happen! When they gonna
figure it out and tell 'em to get f... out of my life?" That was said when he
heard that some young girls where involved with two of his guys, and the girl's parents were threatening to go to the police... the girls had used fake ID's and
that 'saved their asses" said Elvis. Who was lividly pacing his upstairs suite.
Rupert murdoch is getting his just deserts...i hope it's hot, sticky, rotten
egg custard...
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:40 am 
Flame

A very interesting article, Liliane. Thanks for posting it.

As Wanda said, this book had an devasting effect to Elvis. Even the book contains too much lies, half-truth and own speculation from the "authors" themselves, its a sad thing that too much people believe all this crap.
Elvis was in the last two years of his life a very very sick man and had to take a lot of medication for his health and that he could going on and please his fans with live concerts, even often he was in a very bad health condition.
Fans who care a lot of Elvis' reputation and do a lot of own research will find out what is the truth. But a lot of all the lies which circulate during the 34 years of his sudden death are debunked now. But did you ever hear a word of excuse or I'm sorry from the 3 authors? No. For to do so, saying I'm wrong in what I said - you need balls and in my opinion they not have. They are afraid to loose their faces. So they keep going on with this lies - never mind if it is at the expense of a dead friend who cannot speak for himself anymore. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 am 
Flame

I just read Marty Lackers comment to this article about Murdock .

Marty Lacker has sent EIN this detailed and emotional response.

... I take exception to the Flippo article and his remark that Elvis What Happened helped kill Elvis. That's a crock of shit that was started by a couple of other members of the 'Memphis Mafia' who were sycophants and ass kissers and always trying to make others look bad in Elvis' eyes for their own benefit. If anyone helped cause Elvis' demise it was Colonel Parker who ran him into the ground with those damn tours going to the same cities every month and to Vegas just to satisfy his gambling habit and debts.

In addition Elvis partly was at fault for two reasons, he tolerated and didn't confront Parker and didn't get rid of him when he should have years before and his over dependency on his prescribed drugs. He took too many,too often as an escape from the boredom of his life that Parker had created.

Some people,mainly the uninformed media and uninformed fans are quick to pin Elvis' death on the guys around him and neither ever spent one damn minute with Elvis or us. They think it makes them sound good when they mouth off as if they're in the know and protective of Elvis.

Truth is they do more harm then good. They need to get real and understand that Elvis was not G-d, he was a human being just like the rest of us and had human faults and frailties as we all do. The media, especially the tabloids sensationalize stories to make more money.

But it is finally coming to light what kind of greedy, low life scumbag Rupert Murdoch is as the English authorities have discovered his long underhanded and what I consider criminal dealings in furthering his power and influence through his media entities. He saw an opportunity to try to tear down a historical cultural icon in Elvis with no regard to what it did to Elvis, his family or hundreds of millions of fans or for that fact Red & Sonny, however he did see that the disgusting things he allowed Dunleavy to write would bring him millions in sales of the Star and Elvis What happened.

So he assigned someone as nasty as he is to write the book with Red, Sonny and Dave. As I said the guys wrote the book mainly to try to get Elvis to see what he was doing to himself and they did that out of love for him. The other reason they did it is because of the way Vernon Presley let them go. Elvis had told his father to give them each $5,000 as severance pay and let them know they'd be hired back later. Instead Mr. Presley gave them two weeks pay and said nothing about hiring them back. This after Red had been close to Elvis for over 20 years and Sonny for 18 years as his protectors. They had families who now were left with no income to live on.

They were inexperienced about book publishing and certainly about what kind of people Murdoch and Dunleavy were and so they went for the deal that provided them with the most money,as most authors do, so that their families could be taken care of while they searched for employment. Because of their publishing inexperience their deal with Murdoch and Dunleavy did not allow them to change the way Dunleavy wrote the book and they did not know what he wrote until it was finished. And as usual the fans always zero in on the negative things people write about Elvis even if they are a small part of the book. They wrote many good things in EWH but the fans choose to gloss over them.

Murdoch and Dunleavy are the villains in Elvis What Happened and the world is finally finding out what kind of human beings they really are. Murdoch operates the same way here in the US with his Fox News TV Channel, he has the rotten Republicans in his pocket so he allows the Channel to make up lies about everyone else in the other party in US Politics. The British authorities are arresting his executives but what they need to do is put him in prison for the rest of his life along with his minions who did his dirty work. His tentacles, they have revealed, reaches all the way into Scotland Yard and England's government. Put him in prison for what he did to people like Elvis and all the other lives of people he besmirched, all for money.

I have always whole heartedly believed that Red and Sonny tried to help Elvis see what he was doing to himself and they did it because they loved him and still do.

People need to get real and get a life, Marty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 am 
Flame

It's a typical behaviour of Marty Lacker to say that uninformed Elvis fans did more harm as they who were around Elvis. It's better he keep his mouth shut. He is one of this so-called "friends" who wrote immediately after Elvis' death a tell-all book of their "best friend", just for greed of money - they take advantage of Elvis and his name - no matter what and this till today. He's a person who always put himself in a good light, saying he is telling the truth and that's B.S.

He is member on different Elvis fanboards and if someone have a different opinion of what he is telling or doubt it, so he starts cussing people like hell. Even in his stories he mention things and events without being at this time around Elvis anymore. So how trustful are his stories and he? I'm not saying that all are lies - but a lot.

In my opinion he and Lamar Fike were the most worst in telling untrue things about Elvis. Sometimes I ask myself question if they all can look themselves in a mirror without being disgusted of themselves.

Richard Davis, one of Elvis friends and former employee knew Elvis 17 years and worked for him 7 years before he had to quit for doing a surgery. Here is his opinion (said in an interview on January 1990 in Memphis):

Question: Most of the guys who worked for Elvis have all written books - some good, some bad - What is your opinian of them?

Answer: I don't agree with the books, there's never been a book written about Elvis yet that's totally truthful. There's some truth in all of them, but not 100% truth in any of them. There's a lot of lies in them and a lot of fabrication.
I don't agree with them because they're are only written to make money at Elvis' expense.

And his words said enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm 
Dragon

We also have to remember that Marty, Red, Billy, Joe, Sonny, Lamar, Jerry, George, Richard, Al and the rest of the gang were there - none of us were so we're not in a place to judge someone who WAS there!

I, for one, am proud of Marty for his response.

THIS IS OUR TONY TROUT AND HIS MOM!!! I thought it was Marty and his
wife... wjh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Right Tony, however it doesn't appear they were all that observant since they seemed to have 'missed' the fact that their boss was from early in life keeping his physical problems quiet- because he had learned that there are always going to be 'loose lips' among any group, especially if some of them were prone to drinking and etc, showing off for their conquest for the night, and wanting to 'one up' each other at every opportunity... Elvis said, 'just the nature of the beast' and
let most things pass, but when they finally stacked up- he blew! Most of the time he was way too forgiving, tolerant and flat blind to the things that went on among his group of guys; to their downfall and his own. Unfortunately, his came first.
I agree with Rich; he was a nice guy, tried to do his job and he was polite,
considerate and quiet usually. He knew a lot of stuff that went on around
the Col.'s office, behind the scenes and other places, but he didn't "rush out to make a buck yanking back any 'rugs' to shake out the dirt for all the world to
see- money never feels 'good' when it's earned via trashing a friend or loved one.
Thanks for your perspective Tony, cut and dried, to the point- reminds me of
someone else... he was good at that too. Wish I had that talent-
wjh

Post subject: Re: Elvs what happened ? 34 years later
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:01 am 
Jewel in the Lotus

This has been an interesting topic to read here. I had no idea of Rupert Murdoch's connection to the Elvis: What Happened book. So here's hoping people will now take the negative stuff in the book with a grain of salt.

Post subject: Re: Elvs what happened ? 34 years later
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:45 am 
Flame

Tony, just because they were there or around Elvis doesn't mean they know all. I agree with Wanda. A lot of what is told by "his friends" isn't true. And if you do a research by yourself so you will find out what is lie or truth.
Reading all their books, so you may realize what is wrong or true. Mostly they copy from each other, just put it in their own words. It run like a golden thread through each book.

And if you like Marty Lacker - it's ok for me. But you have to realize that often he tell stories or events in which he verifiable wasn't around Elvis anymore.

In one point I agree with you: We were not there. But we can make up our own mind because: actions speak louder than words.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next