It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Handle Elvis-fans his legacy always at best?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:05 am 
Flame

Nearly in every Elvis fanboard his "fans" discusse his career, his life, but this discussion ending up mostly in critizing every little detail and aspect. So what could be the reason for to do so?

Elvis career was grandiose and peerles. Of course his career were back and forth, but never flopped. His influence not only in music but also cultural is undisputed and historical part of the American Way of life after the second world war. He was the one that gave the youth of the fifthies a new perspective of life, a new self-awarness, opened the door for black artists and their music. Makes famous R&B and was the founder of the Rockabilly Sound.
He was the highest paid actor of the sixties and as a entertainer unique in his style of performing, a excellent singer and unreachable till today. So what more can I aspect of him as a fan?
I don't understand why fans are so unsatisfied with his legacy. Why they are criticising every song, every movie, every move and every life performance, especially in the seventieth?
Yes, he did some movies which were not the best - but I enjoy all, some more, some less. A lot of people say he could do better movies - but from a bad script and with no top-class cast you can't make an Oscar-winning movie. IMO he did the best he could do of his roles of little value. May his movies weren't high-minded but this was the kind of films that people in the sixties liked. Just sit down, relax and enjoy all this shallow entertainment. But Elvis wasn't the only one with such movies, but the most successfully. Films with Rock Hudson/Doris Day etc.are the same kind of movies - just a contemporary taste.
Nearly each of his movies were block busters and without doubt box-office hits-except a very few ones. Yes, some songs were mediocre or bad - but people forget that each song has to fit into a scene. And music & movies are always a matter of personal taste.
The movie years are always discussed very contraer, but have in your mind: the contracts were fix-termed. To break a contract would be not only expen-sive but also very fatal for his image, specially at this time.Counter-intuitively he had the talent to be a good and serious actor, but never got the chance to do so. No wonder that somebody like Elvis, with a lot of talents, get bored of this kind of sloppy films without no artistic challenge. I don't know if this was one of the reasons that cause his addiction in prescribtion drugs. Maybe, maybe not - who knows. We didn't live his life, so nobody can imagine the pressure he had. Often people see only what they want to see: Fame, wealth, success, a privileged life - but it is not all roses.
Yes, some of his live performances were not always top - but have all his detractors the ability to work always at the same high level? No, nobody - because nobody is perfect.
And not forget: in his last years he was a very sick man - no matter for whatever reasons. But that's for sure: He never let down his fans, his audience and tried to do the best he could do.

Are his fans too highbrow and aspect too much from the subject of their adoration? And on the other side, his fans restricted his artistically creativity a little too - of wanting to hear always his old songs?
I enjoy all what he left: his music, his movies and his performances - no matter what. I don't care for the shallowness of his movies, his not so perfect performances - or rushing throug his old songs.
I am not blind or deaf, but I'm gladden hear and see his work as a great artist. John Lennon said onces: Before Elvis was nothing - but I would say. After Elvis were nothing ....

Post subject: Re: Handle Elvis-fans his legacy always at best?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I guess there will always be people who can't stand it when others seem to be so blessed, capable and etc and have all the "breaks" in life...they feel better when
they can put them down, it makes them look smarter, wiser, better, what ever they seem to think, sometimes I think there isn't anything that type of person will not try to tear down. It's like that's their job in life maybe?
Elvis, as well as a lot of other people who are subject to such as he has been, will
always stand tall, be remembered and recalled with joy long, long after the other
type people who delight in ridicule etc... are gone. That is a fact of life... and even those who do that kind of book etc... will always be subject to the same kind of dissection as they dished out once they are gone- if they get remembered at all. So there is pay back, Elvis said "Well, it's publicity, good or bad, any way
you look at it. So jus' don' let it bother me."
take care, and thanks for your post...makes people think it over.
love to all,
wjh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 am 
Flame

I am just an Elvis fan ?

I remember back in august 16, 1977. Elvis left his legacy to the world. I know the performer, the artist. I didn't know the real Elvis, the man. The Colonel made a wall behind the man and the performer. We only know what was written in paper bit and piece about his personal life.

I remember back in october 1977, I watch the "Elvis in concert" with my family. They made remark about the concert of tv. But for me, that didn't change a thing. He was Elvis. He look sick but I didn't know much at his illness at the time.

I read book but I didn't find no answer. I saw your web site and the page about his illness. If I had know that in 1977, I understand him a little better. And how he keep his illness a secret from his family, friends.

During the summer of 1988, I had begun a writing project french book. Now my project isn't finish yet. I always found new information to had on my project. But I didn't want to write about the perfomer, but more about the man. I found text like "The penality of leadership", "The priceless gift". I had a chapter about "Elvis in concert", all the tours, Las Vegas and Take Tahoe. I say to myself, he had no time to be himself, always in is suitcase and travelling across the States, no day off. Also so little time at Graceland to be with his family and he miss the most his daughter.

Also I was interested in the "Elvis Presley Recording Session 1954-1977". You had a lot of information in the web site of Klein Flynn. How many takes to do a song. He was a perfectionist, but most of the time he do it in two takes. He didn't record much in 1972 and nothing in 1974. In 1976-77, he recorded a few songs at Graceland. He didn't feel like singing anymore and the last song he recorded was "Pledging my love".

I think he fell only at the top. In 1976, he fears of losing his fans because of the book written by his longtime friends. That the fans would leave him, for the first time in his career. If the knew what his fans would do for him, because they devoted their life to see him on stage, buy his records and everything. For the first time in his life, he need his family more than ever.

First, I saw most of his movies in french. I like the movie trailer. I like the commentary of Jerry Schilling in "Love me tender" because he talk about the man. And Steve Pond's in "Jailhouse rock" and "Viva Las Vegas".

On the web we hear new song like "Ghost rider in the sky", "Turn around look at me". There always something new about Elvis.

For me he gave me so much more. He help me to learn english and to translate in french. I listen to his songs everyday.

Elvis had motto "Taking Care of Business"

But for me's "Taking Care of Elvis"

Last edited by Liliane on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Beautifully put Liliane, and I hope someday to be able to read your written thoughts in book form! You express yourself well girl, and your not afraid to voice your opinions and thoughts, in ways that everyone can understand and mull over as you notice, find and bring out ideas and insight that not everyone thinks of, even me! I love your posts, thank you for joining our group at ELC. Please know that you are loved, enjoyed and appreciated for being YOU!
Love,
wjh

EVERYONE! PLEASE GO BACK AND READ LILIANE'S POST-IT'S BEFORE MINE.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 pm 
Jewel in the Lotus

:hello: Liliane it sure does sound like you have a Very Great Book in Mind, and You Should do this Book not only for the New Elvis Fans but for The Ones like me that No Matter What Elvis did or How he Looked. He was Always the SAME LOVING PERSON, and PRECIOUS GIFT FROM GOD TO ME! :hug:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]